Repeat notes: glottals or rolls?

The Chiff & Fipple Irish Flute on-line community. Sideblown for your protection.
Eivind
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Repeat notes: glottals or rolls?

Post by Eivind »

Hi folks,
being all alone in this part of the flute-world AND still at beginner stage; I from time to time come across technical issues that I need to ask stupid questions about...<sigh> Here goes:

How often should one use glottal stops as opposed to rolls for separating notes?

Se for instance this tune ("Teampall An Gleantáinn"):
K: Dmaj
|dcAG EF~F2|AG~G2 EF~F2|1 dcAG EF~F2|A2GE EDD2:|2 AG~G2 EF~F2|A2GE EDAD||
|:(3EFG AB =c3B|Add2 efed|dcAG EFGE|1 A2GE EDAD:|2 A2GE EDD2||

I wonder, on those repeat F#'s and G's...should one mostly roll them, or separate them using glottal stops? I find it very easy to use glottals, but perhaps this is cheating? I dont know...please help me sort it out?

Cheers,
Eivind

:party:
kkrell
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: Mostly producer of the Wooden Flute Obsession 3-volume 6-CD 7-hour set of mostly player's choice of Irish tunes, played mostly solo, on mostly wooden flutes by approximately 120 different mostly highly-rated traditional flute players & are mostly...

Post by kkrell »

I don't know about the particular tune, but you can also use 'cuts' (or even 'taps') to separate notes.

Kevin Krell
International Traditional Music Society, Inc.
A non-profit 501c3 charity/educational public benefit corporation
Wooden Flute Obsession CDs (3 volumes, 6 discs, 7 hours, 120 players/tracks)
https://www.worldtrad.org
Eivind

Post by Eivind »

OK,
but what I really mean is...to what extent does one use one or the other...generally...
This is probably impossible to answer, but it's hard to know with little opportunity to study other players. :-)

Eivind

BTW, this tune is just a random example w/repeated notes :D
bradhurley

Re: Repeat notes: glottals or rolls?

Post by bradhurley »

Eivind wrote: Se for instance this tune ("Teampall An Gleantáinn"):
K: Dmaj
|dcAG EF~F2|AG~G2 EF~F2|1 dcAG EF~F2|A2GE EDD2:|2 AG~G2 EF~F2|A2GE EDAD||
|:(3EFG AB =c3B|Add2 efed|dcAG EFGE|1 A2GE EDAD:|2 A2GE EDD2||
It depends on the tune and your tastes. Glottal stops will give you a more distinct rhythm; rolls will give you more flow.

But in this particular tune, I would use glottal stops to separate those repeated Gs and Fs in the first line of the tune, since in each case they're part of a short roll sequence. The first F in the F~F2 sequence should be stopped cleanly at the end, followed by a short roll (F2), which starts with a cut on A or G, then F#, then a tap on E, then back to F#, like so:

xxo xoo
xxx xoo
xxx xxo
xxx xoo

Putting in that glottal stop just before the short roll is what gives it lift; listen to Catherine McEvoy on flute or Mary Bergin on whistle, for example, to hear this in action whenever they play a short roll. Using a cut instead of a glottal stop here won't give you enough separation.

I'd also use a glottal stop to separate the two Ds in that EDD2 sequence.

A great recording of this tune is Mick O'Brien and Caoimhin O'Raghallaigh's "Kitty Lie Over." It's a highly rhythmic tune and the articulation with glottal stops feels right here.

Here's a demo of the first part of that reel, first without glottals (except for the two D's at the end, I just can't bring myself to separate those with a cut, it sounds too lame!), and then with glottals throughout.

http://www.firescribble.net/templestops.mp3

In actual practice I'd probably play it somewhere between these two extremes, but would almost always put in the little stops before the short rolls. Mick and Kevin seem to put the stops in before the G short rolls but not as clearly on the F's...it might be harder for Mick to pull that off on the pipes and he tends to play in a more open style anyway.
Eivind

Post by Eivind »

Thanks once again Brad,
for great tips

BTW, that's the same recording I learnt it from. Think I'll definitely go for something in between, yes ;-)
Bought the CD in Galway 10 days ago. Those first two tracks are just great tunes!

Oh, and Brad, the pitch on that C Bamboo is rising mysteriously..
Cheers,
Eivind
scooter587

Post by scooter587 »

Brad, I want to add my thanks for the sound clip--exactly the sort of breakout I've been looking for to get my mind wrapped around how the glottal stops work in these situations. A genuine and huge help. Where do I send my check? :)
phcook

Post by phcook »

A very great help for me too; Thanks Brad!
Breizh soner
Cathy Wilde

Post by Cathy Wilde »

Et moi!
-chat.
Deja Fu: The sense that somewhere, somehow, you've been kicked in the head exactly like this before.
Eivind

Post by Eivind »

Brad,
let's open your fan club - We can host it on my site!
Yes, your recording really put the finger on it for me too.
Brad actually posted a sound clip for me earlier too, guys. Then I was having tone/tuning issues with my Olwell bamboo C flute.
Turned out be all lip of course... This proves the potential of this site as a help for isolated players.
So thanks again Brad, and lets hope that in Ireland two years from now, they'll be saying "that norwegian guy sure has some lip on him"; while this year all I heard was "that norwegian guy sure has some lip on him"... ehe

Eivind :P
bradhurley

Post by bradhurley »

Sheesh, thanks everyone, it really wasn't a big deal.

Eventually I may record some "educational" sound clips like this and some QuickTime videos for my flute site, following in the footsteps of StevieJ's excellent site for the whistle (Brother Steve's tin-whistle pages), which has a lot of very useful advice on ornamentation and breathing that applies equally well to flute. He's got some nice soundclips on there that have helped me improve my own whistle playing.

http://www.rogermillington.com/siamsa/brosteve/
phcook

Post by phcook »

Cathy obviously is going to take some French lessons...

Good news for us, French fluters!
Breizh soner
Cathy Wilde

Post by Cathy Wilde »

:oops:

Sorry, I was tired and loopy and overwhelmed with gratitude .... and once again lost control of myself. Please pardon my .... goofiness!

:oops:
Deja Fu: The sense that somewhere, somehow, you've been kicked in the head exactly like this before.
Cathy Wilde

Post by Cathy Wilde »

Speaking of (in English, I promise!), for anyone who hasn't visited Brad's website recently, I strongly urge you to do so. It is a true labor of love (+ very nice design, BTW!) and an invaluable resource. The calendar in particular is brilliant.

http://www.firescribble.net/flute

Aw heck, it's ALL brilliant.

Anyway ... thank you thank you THANK YOU Brad, for all your help to fluters everywhere.

I've applied for a permit to erect a pedestal somewhere in the vicinity of Dale's.
chas
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Post by chas »

I love Brad's interview section. I honestly go there and read the Jack Coen page about once a month. My favorite nuggest of wisdom from that:

On ornamentation: "don't have your fingers go blooming crazy!"

"Play the notes distinctly and get the blur out of it."

He also points out that many players seem to have a huge store of tunes, but only know them halfway. I certainly fit the halfway part, and my goal for the next (probably many) months is to take a dozen or so tunes and learn them completely.

Re the thread topic, Jack doesn't play rolls at all AFAIK.
Charlie
Whorfin Woods
"Our work puts heavy metal where it belongs -- as a music genre and not a pollutant in drinking water." -- Prof Ali Miserez.