What's a Good C whistle?

The Ultimate On-Line Whistle Community. If you find one more ultimater, let us know.
Conund_Rum_07
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

What's a Good C whistle?

Post by Conund_Rum_07 »

Hey,
I check out this site pretty regularly, and finally decided to register. I'm Eric.

Anyways, I've been playing the whistle for about a year and half, and I'm pretty much self-taught. Can't read music either. I consider myself a decent player. Either way, I love playing. So, down to business, as far as C whistles goes, I have a Clarke original with the wood fipple, and I have a Clarke Meg. The Meg seems like a good whistle, but it seems out of tune. Am I wrong? And of course, the wood fipple C is just far too breathy. I was wondering if there might be any other inexpensive C whistles that sound great and aren't breathy as a Clarke or Shaw. Any info is appreciated. Take it easy,
Wilsing

Good Inexpensive C Whistle

Post by Wilsing »

Get yourself a Susato C Whistle. They are inexpensive, responsive, and

very in tune. Good luck!
Kansas

Inexpensive C Whistle

Post by Kansas »

Jerry Freeman tweaks Generations in C as well as other keys. I just got a Bb that is wonderful. His previous C and D are very easy to play as well and prompted me to round out my collection.
I am a new player and play by ear as you do. The Jerry tweaked whistles are a great value and are easy for someone like me to play as he voices them to perform so well. He lists on this forum under his name - so do a search. I don't want to assume to "quote" his current prices, but you will most likely find that he can get it to you shipped in the US for around 40.00 or a bit less. Great whistle for the money and you will find that Generation sizes their tubes "for the job". Each lower whistle has a bigger diameter tube as you lower the key from D to Bb. My C and Bb have an increasingly mellow tone to them from the D which is a real nice whistle in itself.
Hope that helps.
By the way - Jerry also makes up a Feadog / Walton mellow tone hybrid although I don't know that he does so in the key of C. They are well thought of and usually listed on e-bay by Jerry.
Good luck
Clann O' dubh Ghaill / Doyle
Dee Whistler

Post by Dee Whistler »

Hi!

I have some C-whistles and even it might sound surprising the best c-whistle I got, is Generation's nickle-plated one. I've also heard couple of other players saying that generation's C-whistles are decent instruments. I think in general that Generations are much better in other keys than D. I have good ones in Bb, Eb and C, but not in D.
It's not that hard to play it right. It's hard to play it wrong in the right place.
Walden
Chiffmaster General
antispam: No

Post by Walden »

I think that Sweetone has a good C whistle. It looks like a Meg, but not made in the same place.
Reasonable person
Walden
RonKiley

Post by RonKiley »

The best C whistle is one that you like when you play it. That said I like my Generation Cs I got from The Whistle Shop. The link to the site is on the links area of this board.

Ron
I've never met a whistle I didn't want.
Tyghress

Post by Tyghress »

My fave C is the Gen. This is compared to a Burke C and Abell C. I'd had much luck 'upgrading' with my D whistles and expected to find that the more expensive C's would really shine, but they didn't improve sound or playability.

Tyg
Remember, you didn't get the tiger so it would do what you wanted. You got the tiger to see what it wanted to do. -- Colin McEnroe
PhilO

Post by PhilO »

Yeah, for a long time I was having trouble finding a good high end C, esp a Copeland. The best inexpensive and one of the best of all C whistles is the Walton Golden Tone - unfortuneately no longer being made. The Gens that I have are also good and I happen to really like one of the Clarke original C whistles I have.

In higher end stuff, the Sindt and Burke black tips are really fine. I also finally found - actually traded for - a wonderful Copeland nickel silver C without raised windway, circa early to mid nineties. We are one.

Water Weasel C is the best of the 3-set I have (Eflat, D, C) and the Susato C of that 3-set (D, C, Bflat) is also good.

Philo
"This is this; this ain't something else. This is this." - Robert DeNiro, "The Deer Hunter," 1978.
Jim Wright

Best C

Post by Jim Wright »

I purchased a Syn C/D combo and for "me" the Syn C is the best whistle I have played. I have yet to give the D much playing time. The C just has too great a sound to put it down long enough to change tubes.

Erle says it is because with the materials he uses ... it all comes together right on the C. I don't know what it is but for me .. the Syn C is pure magic.

Jim
blackhawk
antispam: No

Post by blackhawk »

Ditto what Jim said. Syn C is hard to beat. It's my favorite whistle out of all the ones I own.
Nothing is so firmly believed as that which is least known--Montaigne

We can easily forgive a child who is afraid of the dark. The real tragedy of life is when men are afraid of the light
--Plato
ConnieS

Post by ConnieS »

Neither of these would be considered low-end, but my C Water Weasel is really nice, and easy to play. My C Silkstone PVC has a beautiful tone. I love to play it until my hands ache. My only difficulty with the PVC is that Paul did such a wonderful job smoothing out the tone holes, I sometimes have a bit of trouble finding the hole by feel. That's probably just my issue, though, since the C is larger and I have small hands.

I teach music, and plan to start using Megs in the fall (wanna come to a recorder bonfire?:P ). I tested the C's on some friends who are just learning, and noticed the A and Bb are sharp. The A can be compensated for with lighter breath. I've tried cross-fingering by covering more holes to make up for the Bb, with some success.

(A on a C whistle is the same as B on a D whistle. Bb on a C whistle is the same fingering as the C nat on a D whistle.)

BTW, just kidding about the recorder bonfire. Someday someone may need those things.
eskin

Post by eskin »

Burke Session Pro Brass in C:

http://www.granitehillsdesign.com/micha ... urke_c.mp3

I love this whistle!
kevin m.

Post by kevin m. »

Still waiting for my Sindt 'C'
Now,I was never a fan of 'C' whistles,but I heard/read that the Sindt 'C' was the best of his bunch (I love the 'D' and 'Eb'!)
And of course,then I heard Micho Russell playing on a 'C' :)
Lately.I've pulled out my Generation C's (brass and Nickel).
I always used to rate the Brass-but just now,the Nickel plated seems to hit the spot.
Funny how your tastes change-though I think that it's really the extra practice that I've got in over the years that's made the difference to my appreciation of these instruments!
"I blame it on those Lead Fipples y'know."
DRC

Re: What's a Good C whistle?

Post by DRC »

Conund_Rum_07 wrote:Hey,
I check out this site pretty regularly, and finally decided to register. I'm Eric.

Anyways, I've been playing the whistle for about a year and half, and I'm pretty much self-taught. Can't read music either. I consider myself a decent player. Either way, I love playing. So, down to business, as far as C whistles goes, I have a Clarke original with the wood fipple, and I have a Clarke Meg. The Meg seems like a good whistle, but it seems out of tune. Am I wrong? And of course, the wood fipple C is just far too breathy. I was wondering if there might be any other inexpensive C whistles that sound great and aren't breathy as a Clarke or Shaw. Any info is appreciated. Take it easy,
From what you've said (inexpensive), and from the whistles you currently have, I'd recommend a Susato C. I know some mentioned Gen C, but personally, I've never played one I like. I have three sitting in a drawer. Actually, I have an Oak C that's really sweet, but I had do some serious tweaking to get it there. If you want something consistent that you won't have to mess with tweaking, and has perfect intonation, good volume and tone, try a Susato. I have much more expensive Cs, but use the Susato the most. Probably one of the best, most consistently good whistles in the Susato line...maybe the best. Very clear tone. Sounds great amplified or in the studio.

I also have a new Dixon tunable C that's pretty decent sounding and accurate, a bit breathy in the first octave. I think they're $33 at The Whistle Shop. The Susato C is less than thirty bucks. The only thing that took some getting used to with Susatos is the thickness of the mouthpiece end, but no big deal.

DC
SlipJig Celtic Band
perrins57

Post by perrins57 »

I know I'll be on my own on this one, but I really like my Shaw C (non-tweaked) Its not as breathy as my Low G Shaw - which sounds more like a bamboo flute - and its very sweet in the second octave.
"Our scientific power has outrun our spiritual power. We have guided missiles and misguided men." - Martin Luther King, Jr.

(Name's Mark btw)