Is this a fife?

The Ultimate On-Line Whistle Community. If you find one more ultimater, let us know.
ConnieS
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Is this a fife?

Post by ConnieS »

What is it? Someone gave it to me yesterday. It has six holes, diatonic like a pennywhistle. But it holds like a flute, with a strange little mouthpiece so you don't have to worry about embrouchure. Big breath requirement, plays offkey if you don't push pretty hard. No markings. Any ideas?
http://photos1.blogger.com/img/149/1139 ... 05_002.jpg
RonKiley

Post by RonKiley »

The link gives me an access denied error.

Ron
I've never met a whistle I didn't want.
ConnieS

Post by ConnieS »

Try again. When you get to the access denied page, click the jpg link on that page.
emmline
antispam: No

Post by emmline »

The pic's a little out of focus. Is that a flute type hole, or is it a flageolet?
khl
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: Longtime member of Chiff and Fipple. I own/have owned more whistles than a person should, I think. But I’m not complaining.

Post by khl »

Picture still isn't coming through.

But is it like this one on Ebay?
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?Vi ... eName=WDVW

This has a few more pictures and descriptions towards the end of the page. These "Melody Flutes"show up now and then on ebay, but I've never heard reports of what they actually sound like.

Keith
dwinterfield

Post by dwinterfield »

khl wrote:Picture still isn't coming through.

But is it like this one on Ebay?
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?Vi ... eName=WDVW

This has a few more pictures and descriptions towards the end of the page. These "Melody Flutes"show up now and then on ebay, but I've never heard reports of what they actually sound like.

Keith
I've picked up a couple of these. They're sort of squeaky. One is all beat up, dented etc. and plays okay. The other is very hard to regulate breath to get an okay tone. They seem like right angle whistles. They don't have any flute like qualities.
OutOfBreath

Post by OutOfBreath »

Sounds like you're describing a melody flute - basically a cheap side blown flute with a mouthpiece instead of just a hole.
John
-------
The Internet is wonderful. Surely there have always been thousands of people deeply concerned about my sex life and the quality of my septic tank but before the Internet I never heard from any of them.
Cynth

Post by Cynth »

ConnieS---now clicking the link on the "access denied" page doesn't work. I did see the picture earlier and now I can't. I have no idea what it is, just thought you might not know the second link isn't working. It is odd looking, and doesn't look to me like the e-bay picture at all----but I would be the last to know if they were basically similar.
Wanderer
Tell us something.: I've like been here forever ;)
But I guess you gotta filter out the spambots.
100 characters? Geeze.

Post by Wanderer »

picture worked for me the second time I tried it (i just tried 2 times in a row). It doesn't look like the melody flute.

I've stuck the image on my website temporarily to help with the weird access issues:
khl
Tell us something.: Longtime member of Chiff and Fipple. I own/have owned more whistles than a person should, I think. But I’m not complaining.

Post by khl »

Clearly not a Melody Flute like the ebay sample I posted. So what is it?
Last edited by khl on Tue Jul 05, 2005 12:26 am, edited 2 times in total.
Unseen122
Tell us something.: Of course I'm not a bot; I've been here for years... Apparently that isn't enough to pass muster though!

Post by Unseen122 »

Well it's not a fife. :D
ConnieS

Post by ConnieS »

Okay, what about a tin whistle with a headpiece to make it play like an Irish flute? Or what about a native American flute? If it's played softly, it sounds like a minor key, but it's not pentatonic.
ConnieS

Post by ConnieS »

BTW, thanks, Wanderer, for posting the picture.

And I'm sorry if the post is off topic. I wasn't sure, but it does play like a whistle, so I thought I should post here.
IDAwHOa
Tell us something.: I play whistles. I sell whistles. This seems just a BIT excessive to the cause. A sentence or two is WAY less than 100 characters.

Post by IDAwHOa »

You should try over on the flute side. Post a link to this thread.
Steven - IDAwHOa - Wood Rocks

"If you keep asking questions.... You keep getting answers." - Miss Frizzle - The Magic School Bus
OutOfBreath

Post by OutOfBreath »

The picture is fuzzy but I'd say it's some sort of flageolet. The "squarish
" hole looks like a fipple. I'm not sure what the hole above that would be (if it is indeed a hole, it's kind of hard to see) unless maybe you block it for sound, unblock it for no sound, but that would imply that the air supply was something other than a mouth (i.e. some sort of bag or bellows). There is probably a chamber between the mouthpiece and the fipple, and possibly even a small sponge or baffle inside the chamber.

I vote we give it a highly scientific name like "flageolet thingamabob." :)
John
-------
The Internet is wonderful. Surely there have always been thousands of people deeply concerned about my sex life and the quality of my septic tank but before the Internet I never heard from any of them.