Who Makes the Darkest Sounding Flutes (In the Key of D)

The Chiff & Fipple Irish Flute on-line community. Sideblown for your protection.
Sillydill
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Who Makes the Darkest Sounding Flutes (In the Key of D)

Post by Sillydill »

Join me, my son. Come over to the Dark Side!
I am just curious who do you think makes the darkest sounding flute (in the key of D), what model, features and wood?

Thanks for your input!

Jordan
Unseen122
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: Of course I'm not a bot; I've been here for years... Apparently that isn't enough to pass muster though!

Post by Unseen122 »

Boxwood is darker than Balckwood and Rudalls are darker than Prattens. Those are just some generalizations.
Jon C.
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: I restore 19th century flutes, specializing in Rudall & Rose, and early American flutes. I occasionally make new flutes. Been at it for about 15 years.

Post by Jon C. »

Unseen122 wrote:Boxwood is darker than Balckwood and Rudalls are darker than Prattens. Those are just some generalizations.
I would have thought, that blackwood would be darker then boxwood? :lol:
M&E is kind of dark sounding...
"I love the flute because it's the one instrument in the world where you can feel your own breath. I can feel my breath with my fingers. It's as if I'm speaking from my soul..."
Michael Flatley

Jon
Terry McGee

Post by Terry McGee »

A tricky question, hard to answer except in the presence of rather a lot of flutes and a blind-folded audition panel!

Theory would suggest it would be a small hole flute, the "cut-off frequency" (which we interpret as brightness/darkness) being proportional to the diameter of the finger holes divided by the diameter of the bore at that point. That should give my Grey Larsen Preferred (and anyone making French-style flutes) the edge on darkness.

Next I imagine would be flutes based on small-holed Rudalls, eg Chris Norman's flute, my Rudall Refined and (I think) the M&E Rudall. There may be other makers working from this style.

Next, we'd expect the medium-to-large hole Rudall, Nicholson or other improved-era flutes. Most makers seem to offer something in this range.

Finally (in conical flutes) we'd expect the Prattens (also a fairly universal model), and, well after that, the Boehm flute (whose holes are getting close to a truncation of the bore at that point.

The ones whose position would be hard to predict are the cylindrical simple-system flutes such as Doug Tipple's flutes, my Metzler cylindrical, Pat Olwell's bamboos, etc. Although the holes are as large, the bore is bigger that a conical flute's, suggesting the cut-off frequency should be lower. There may be other effects though that might offset this. It's on my agenda to investigate this.

Keep in mind too that flutes can be bright or dark, but so can players. Cover more of the embouchure hole and you'll get a darker sound. Grey Larsen for example covers about 60% of the hole, whereas someone from the Boehm world will cover about 30%. This variation will be at least as significant as the finger-hole size.

Hope that helps!

Terry
Whistlin'Dixie

Post by Whistlin'Dixie »

"Dark"....

Someone help me here.

How about an example from, say, WFO. What is your definition of "dark" with respect to something (a track) I can listen to?

How about "Bright"?

How about "Sweet"?

Couldn't the same flute be played all those ways.
Je suis confus.....

M
Denny

Post by Denny »

Whistlin'Dixie wrote:Couldn't the same flute be played all those ways.
Je suis confus.....
A good flute should do that for you! The problem is finding a good enough flute, not playing for decades to acheve the sound...

Its not a journey its a purchase.
spittle
Please enter the next number in sequence: 12

Post by spittle »

My limited experience has been that unlined heads produce a signifigantly darker tone than do lined ones (I especially love(d) this attribute of my Gallagher-Pratten), so choosing an unlined head from any maker/model would result in a darker sound.

Cheers,
- Ryan
Kevin L. Rietmann

Post by Kevin L. Rietmann »

Dead Germans.
phcook

Post by phcook »

Hello Terry

You tried to give definitions of some aspects of the sound by getting some samples from C&F flutists; did you get enough samples to make a database for such notions as dark, rudall-esque-, pratten-esque etc.?

Can we help again?

Best wishes
Breizh soner
Terry McGee

Post by Terry McGee »

Indeed, the samples I collected might well assist in answering the question. Unfortunately, trying to get my backlog under control has meant I haven't got to do the analysis of them, though it's still very much on the agenda. It stemmed out of some work Grey Larsen, Prof. Neville Fletcher and I were doing to identify differences in sound and approach between modern flautists and Irish flute players. Hopefully I can get to it soon - Neville and Grey have done their bits!

I chose G for the samples, as G is always a good solid note on the flute. It may be enough to differentiate the flute types, although of course as I mention above the player is equally significant. It's possible though that we would need to do a sample of all the notes (at least low octave) and analyse them collectively, to give a "profile" of the flute sound, rather than a view of a particular note.

If anyone wants to give me a sample, please feel free. Let's make it the seven notes of the bottom octave, starting at c# and running down to D, played for 1 second each. Don't worry about gaps or breaths, I can edit them out. Tell me the type of flute (or flutes) made the sound, and what sort of embouchure hole it has (elliptical, rounded rectangle etc)

I have a 10Mby limit on emails, so check the file size first! Recording in mono, using a 22kHz sample rate and mp3 compression if necessary should help keep it down. The box clears every 10 minutes, so send any additional files separately after that period.

Terry
toughknot

Post by toughknot »

I think the samples at http://www.yscolan.info/. ( which I think are great ) could be described as dark.
I shall never bitter be so long as I can laugh at me.