Murray and Hernon

The Chiff & Fipple Irish Flute on-line community. Sideblown for your protection.
MarcusR
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1
Location: I stay in a place called 'Rooms'... There's a whole chain of them.

Murray and Hernon

Post by MarcusR »

The flutes
German 6 key (close), M&E original, Hernon, Murray, German 8 key.

Last weekend I met up with Pär (Ojvoj) for a small informal session at a mutual friend’s party. It was also a great opportunity to try out Pär’s new Hernon flute and compare it with his Murray. This should not be regarded as a test or review as that would require a much more experienced player than me, and even if so it would still be down to one mans opinion.
I have been about to sell my old keyed flutes and buy a really good wooden keyless for some time and this was a good chance to test two of the main candidates before I decide what to get. I have always been a big fan of Murray flutes and if I hadn’t heard Pär raving about Marcus Hernon’s flutes it would probably be my first choice.

First I would like to say that both of these flutes are two very good and very well made flutes.
I have played Pär’s Murray a few times before and I have always been hoping that he would sell it one day, it’s fully lined and made in Blackwood. The Hernon is also a fully lined Blackwood flute with a lovely dark brown color. It will darken to black with age but I whish it would remain the way it is as it is truly beautiful color.

At first appearance they look very similar (except for the shape of the middle section). However, side by side the Hernon flute has a slightly shorter foot and the head is cut a little closer to the embouchure. I also believe that the Hernon flute has a slightly more conical bore than the Murray but I didn’t take any measures. Both have strict oval embouchures, angles seem similar but the blow hole on the Hernon flute is noticeably larger. The finger holes on the Hernon flute are slightly larger and the stretch is slightly less compared to the Murray. The weight is about the same and they are both very well balanced. The craftsmanship and general appearance of both these two flutes is excellent.

Playing the Hernon flute was an instructive experience. I had been playing my M&E and one of my old German flutes just before and the difference was striking. It is difficult to describe combined effects of sound characteristics, changes in tone and volume but my instant impression was that it felt so much more powerful. After playing the Hernon flute for a few tunes I switched to the Murray then back to the Hernon again and … so on.

Both these two flutes have a very nice dark projective tone but there are a few differences, some I think are related to the flutes and others to my own shortcomings as a player. The Murray is an easy player and it felt more forgiving than the Hernon flute and I felt more relaxed playing this flute. The Hernon felt like an easy player at first but when I tried to lean into it or to bring out something more than just playing along it felt much more demanding. I really had to concentrate on my lips and work hard to focus the air stream to get it going. As a result I had a tendency to run out of breath more easily when playing the Hernon compared to the Murray. On the other hand when I did get things right this flute really got some power and I can’t describe the joy I felt the few times I managed to get that hard “reedy” low D. And when it comes down to it, this is the difference between these to flute, in my opinion.

Both of these flutes have that dark colorful tone of what I would call a good session flute but the Hernon flute felt more powerful. If I would try to put words to the difference I would say that the Hernon flute has a dark “reedy” sound and the Murray a dark “hoovering” sound. Make any sence? I guess not.

(I will now try to elucidate on this, especially for you Cathy)
By a “reedy” low D I mean a vibrating tone with lots of harmonics and nonlinearities right on the edge of the flute limits, any thing more and the tone would be lost. “Hoovering” is similar and could also be regarded as a reed like sound in one sense but with more stable vibrations, not so close to collapse, like an oboe or bassoon. Hoovering feels more air bound, vibrating from a distance while “reedy” is more earthbound like a bagpipe or didge, vibrating from within.
did I make any sense?

So to summarize things I can say that in my opinion these are two very nice flutes and I’m certain you can’t go wrong with neither of these. When it comes down to sound characteristics these two flutes are quite similar, at least in comparison to my other flutes. But I guess it would be fair to say that the Hernon flute is definitely not a beginner’s flute.
On the other hand, starting on a very good but more demanding flute might make you a better flute player in the end.

I decided to get a Hernon flute but that was mainly based on the price difference and waiting time. Price differences aside, I might as well have chosen the Murray as it was so easy to play and would require less practice and more time for piping.

I heard Pär do some amazing stuff on his new flute and I hope he will put up some sound clips for the rest of you.

Cheers!

/MarcusR
There is no such thing as tailwind -- it's either against you or you're simply having great legs!
Jonathan
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: Have played Irish traditional music >15 yrs. Flute, pipes, guitar.
I've taught music in Austin since 2011 or so.

Post by Jonathan »

Nice review!
Thanks
ojvoj

Post by ojvoj »

Hello MarcusR,
Glad you enjoyed the flutes.
I don´t need two flutes so I have to let the Sam Murray go in a near future. Flutes should be played and not left lying in their cover.
Are you going to Korrö-festival this summer?

Pär
Par Kristoffersson
Sweden
"To be is to do" - Sokrates
"To do is to be" - Jean Paul Sartre
"Do be do be do" - Frank Sinatra
Lambchop

Post by Lambchop »

Ahh, nice.

Thanks.
Cathy Wilde

Post by Cathy Wilde »

Thank you, Marcus!

Your description was enormously helpful. Sounds like what you call "reedy" is what I call "edgy" -- almost to the breaking point, but oh such a fine woody blat on the bottom D! :-)

But your description makes sense, and I wouldn't argue with that assessment ...

Again, thanks for the thoughtful insights, and good luck! .... Marcus is an awesome flute player, so I bet those are great. But .... Are you SURE you don't want to get Par's Murray now, though? :twisted:
Deja Fu: The sense that somewhere, somehow, you've been kicked in the head exactly like this before.
MarcusR
Location: I stay in a place called 'Rooms'... There's a whole chain of them.

Post by MarcusR »

Hi!

Thank you for the positive comments.
ojvoj wrote:Hello MarcusR,
Glad you enjoyed the flutes.

Are you going to Korrö-festival this summer?

Pär
I hope to go to Korrö this year, care to tag along? I was thinking about taking Ika with me.
It looks promising, both Anders Norudde and Faust will play, so there will be some good piping for sure. And of course Väsen and Sofia Karlsson, don’t want to miss that. Sofia appeared on TV last week with Esbjörn on fiddle, does he still play ITM with Quilty and Eitre?

Cathy Wilde wrote:
Your description was enormously helpful
Cathy, I’m glad you liked my little elucidation. I’m sure we agree even if terminology might differ, and I’m Swede remember so don’t expect to much of my English skills, “bork”, “bork”… “bork” and “chicky soup”.
Cathy Wilde wrote:Are you SURE you don't want to get Par's Murray now, though? :twisted:
I know, Pär told me that he is going to sell his Murray and it is an exceptional good flute. I have to admit that I was very close to get it right there and then but I didn’t. The Hernon flute made quite an impression on me, even more so now when I have had some time to think about it. Pär also made a good point to why he is selling it, he feels that the embouchure techniques are different and that his playing skills might suffer if he switch back and forth between them. This is something I have experienced in the passed but not though much about. I have 3-4 good flutes and I constantly switch them around, especially when things don’t come out as I want it to. It is easier to blame the flute than to focus on the technique. I also noticed that when I have been playing one of my old keyed flutes for a while I tend to have some difficulties going back to the M&E before things come out right again.

When I had a chance to try the the flutes I felt I could blow more across the embouchure and still get a good tone on the Murray, while I had to focus the air stream more on the Hernon and blow more straight into the hole.

So now when I have decided to get one of Marcus’s flutes I think I will do the same thing and sell my other flutes. An easy decision, as I also need to get funds for a new UP half set. If any one is interested to try some piping I got a Robbie Hughes practice set that will be up for sale later this year.

/MarcusR
There is no such thing as tailwind -- it's either against you or you're simply having great legs!
Random notes

Post by Random notes »

I tried googling "sam murray pipes" and came up with nothing. Does he not have a website? Where does one go to find out about his flutes?

Roger
Non omnes qui habemt citharam sunt citharoedi
Cathy Wilde

Post by Cathy Wilde »

Sorry, Roger, Sam doesn't have a website. I think he has email, though; otherwise it's the telephone or good old snail mail. I'm pretty sure you can find the info for him on brad hurley's site or woodenflute.com (I'd look it up for you but am on a super-slow connection; it would take hours!).

If you want to play a keyless Murray, let me know and then be at the Black Tulip in Midway Thursday June 30 around 7 or 7:30 p.m. (and bring your stuff; it's a fun session!)

cat.
Deja Fu: The sense that somewhere, somehow, you've been kicked in the head exactly like this before.