Sweetheart Low D - Dymondwood

The Ultimate On-Line Whistle Community. If you find one more ultimater, let us know.
Tyghress
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Sweetheart Low D - Dymondwood

Post by Tyghress »

Did you ever have 'one of those days'? You know the sort -- you start a project with the best intentions, and then nothing goes right. Well, this 'review' is one of them. The pictures aren't good, I did literally 20 takes to get 2 decent sound clips, then found out that we don't have a decent way to get the music from the Sony widget into an MP3 format, and I'm not sure of where or how to post them anyway.

BUT....all that aside....I finally have a low D whistle Sweetheart "S" that I flat out adore. The salient points are:

Conical bore, curved windway, wooden with laser engraved logo, corked joint, tunable

1) its wood -- the Dymondwood laminate, but wood nonetheless. I find it esthetically more pleasing than metal or plastic.

2) it is phenomenally easy to play. The holes are offset slightly, making it easier on the wrists. I can play two full octaves without bursting a blood vessel reaching for the high C and D. That high B is reachable with only a tad more effort than the A, and the G comes naturally with no extra effort. The tone holes are exceptionally easy to close. My hands are not large, yet I can get a full reach with no difficulty.

3) the tone is rich and full, not overly loud. There is enough 'room' for expressive playing so I can get a very quiet note, then add a bit of power without it jumping octaves. It 'barks' incredibly when you slam into some notes.

I'm able to play this whistle for a very long time while playing alone without wrist or finger strain, and I don't feel as if I'll faint if I stand up after playing a few tunes. However, I was only able to play one set in session and then set it aside for a bit...came back to it three times, but I don't have the finger speed to keep up, nor the breath control.

Here is a picture of my low D herd:

Okay...I give up...this day - technologically - is NOT my day.
Here it is as a link:

http://us.f2.yahoofs.com/users/4115086d ... CBs03yRBPk

Please take a look, if you're so inclined. Bottom to top: Sweetheart, Burke EZ in Al, Cook and Kerry. I think you can see that the toneholes are small in comparison to the other whistles. The only drawback is that I can't seem to be able to half hole and get a D#.

Next photo....

http://us.f2.yahoofs.com/users/4115086d ... CBMil4NyJ8

See the offset? The wood graining and finish are beautiful!

Three O-rings are provided. I only need one to be in concert pitch. The joint is quite snug. I keep the two spare rings on the foot of the whistle. A Susato style plastic thumbrest was provided, but I found it to be an aggravation and took it off.

Walt provided me with what I'm calling a widget. Its a side-blown adapter that fits over the mouthpiece and redirects air so you can hold the whistle in a more flutey position. When I first tried it (months and months ago!) I thought it was neater 'n sliced bread, but I'm not sure if its the 'wow' effect or any real advantage. I haven't used it at all this week. But it IS cool! I'll get a pic of it later.

Lastly, a flute head is available for the instrument, though I did not purchase one....yet. A flute player who tried one was suitably impressed with the sound and playability, and the time may come when I want to have the flexibility to play it as a flute.

Craftsmanship, esthetics, sound quality, playability....but it does come at a price. $395...and I consider it to be worth it.

Feel free to ask questions...If I can't answer them I'll call in Walt to explain.

EDIT: I think this link may work for you. . .but I'm giving up if it doesn't and I'll send pics to whomever. Whole picture album is

http://pg.photos.yahoo.com/ph/win_n_amy ... DBtuTV3R5h
Sincerely,
Tyg
Last edited by Tyghress on Sat Jun 04, 2005 8:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Remember, you didn't get the tiger so it would do what you wanted. You got the tiger to see what it wanted to do. -- Colin McEnroe
Jayhawk
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: Well, just trying to update my avatar after a decade. Hope this counts! Ok, so apparently I must babble on longer.

Post by Jayhawk »

Tyg - it sounds cool, and I'd love to see it, but I get an error every time.

By O ring is it a wooden or rubber ring that fills the gap when you pull the head joint out?

Eric
Tyghress

Post by Tyghress »

The joint itself is wood on the male part (the foot) and cork in the female part (the head), and the spacers are black silicone O-rings.

I'm trying to find and alternate way to get the pics available. If anyone has any good suggestions, please let me know!

Oh, add'l info: I do a oxxooo for Cnat...its perfect. Forked fingering works too oxxxox, but is a teeny bit flatter. The mid D pretty much requires venting, but just a tad is all it takes. This will be my biggest challenge as I usually don't vent it.
Remember, you didn't get the tiger so it would do what you wanted. You got the tiger to see what it wanted to do. -- Colin McEnroe
Unseen122
Tell us something.: Of course I'm not a bot; I've been here for years... Apparently that isn't enough to pass muster though!

Post by Unseen122 »

I want one. :boggle:
brewerpaul
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Post by brewerpaul »

I was there when Walt showed up with a box of these whistlesand they're everything Tyg has said. If I didn't already have a nice Copeland and Kerry Pro low D, this is the low D I'd be buying.
Got wood?
http://www.Busmanwhistles.com
Let me custom make one for you!
Geraint

Post by Geraint »

Hello there people. Thanks so much for the review and, in fact, for showing that such whistles exist :)

Wow. I really like my little Sweetheart Dymondwood, bless it. I had no idea that there were big brother Low D's available. So, once again I shot to their website and still can't see any of 'em. Are these beauties generally available to ordinary proles like me, I wonder?

(Not that I can afford one, with a set of pipes on the way, but a man can dream. And maybe sell the family silver when the butler isn't looking)
Tri pheth sy'n anodd nabod....
Tyghress

Post by Tyghress »

<VBG> I got number 1, Geraint, but they are generally available now, I believe. You can contact the Sweets directly.

Walt mentioned different tonehole configurations, but frankly I picked up two whistles, this one immediately felt good and I was able to get this range. I didn't even try others.
Geraint

Post by Geraint »

Tyghress wrote:<VBG> I got number 1, Geraint, but they are generally available now, I believe.
Oooooh, there's posh :D

I suppose I'd just like to look at more pictures and dribble a bit over them first, really. Maybe even read a bit more. Ooooh, I'm getting all excited again..... Ok. Ahem.

Unfortunately I had better not even think of getting one for a while - as I said I have some pipes (John Glennydd's Welsh pipes, for anyone who's into this sort of thing) coming and I need to save for them.

Of course, if you felt that you don't really need all those Low Whistles you seem to have - lack of space maybe? - I might be willing to take one or two off your hands. As a favour. I'm good like that. I might even be willing to pay for postage, to help you out....
Tri pheth sy'n anodd nabod....
Jayhawk
Tell us something.: Well, just trying to update my avatar after a decade. Hope this counts! Ok, so apparently I must babble on longer.

Post by Jayhawk »

Tyg - your final link worked. Nice looking whistle. I can see how a flute head would fit right on there. It's much like a steriod using Pro D!

I'm going to have to email the Sweets to see if those rings that fill in the gap would fit on my 4 key and if they'll sell me a few.

Eric
Jack

Post by Jack »

Unseen122 wrote:I want one. :boggle:
Me, two. I mean, me, too.
waltsweet

LoD Whistles

Post by waltsweet »

Tyg and everyone,
Thank you for your kind impressions.
The o-rings are made of Buna, common industrial-type toruses #117. As the FAQs explain, they're just tuning spacers so people don't push the joint too far closed. They may improve the profile, but they do nothing to fill the internal gap. That internal gap is minimized by the internal-cork design, anyway. Terry McGee offers a very simillar design feature now, and his online explanation gives the same reasons that led us to choose this feature three years ago.
I've just sent new photos to be posted on the website; posting may take a couple days. Getting a good photo took all morning.

Walt