What is Ugly?!

A forum about Uilleann (Irish) pipes and the surly people who play them.
Davey
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

What is Ugly?!

Post by Davey »

Or..."beauty is in the eye of the beholder"

???

I would like to revisit this topic, but hopefully in a more constructive way. Obviously we all have preferences, tastes, likes and dislikes, and I think ultimately we can all agree that the sound is most important. But, that being said, does that mean that an instrument's appearance should be neglected?

I'd like to hear everyone's opinion's on this topic. Bearing in mind we don't want to hurt anyone's feelings...it truly is a matter of opinion. \

I dug through some old photos on the hard drive of my old dead pc and found these pics possibly worth discussion?....

Tony
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: I used to play pipes about 20 years ago and suddenly abducted by aliens.
Not sure why... but it's 2022 and I'm mysteriously baack...

Post by Tony »

OK, the block for the Cnat key is too low making the key hard to press.
That's more function that aesthetics.

Your thumb probably touches the ferule just above the Back D tone hole.
Certainly annoying...

PJ
Tell us something.: ......................................................................................................

Post by PJ »

Shamrocks? I wouldn't call them ugly but they're not to my liking. Apart from that, the fullset looks fine. Who made, by the way?

I don't like the look of the coil spring, regardless of whether it is functional or not. It just looks bad - like it's just waiting to snag something.

Also, as with Tony, I'm not sure about the Cnat key - I'd be worried that the key wouldn't return to the right place and the hole wouldn't be properly closed. I like to see a 2nd block which guides the Cnat key back into position.
PJ
lundblad

Post by lundblad »

Is it a C. Roberts chanter? I kind of recognize the chanter wooden top?
In my opinion the set is a beauty...? Honestly!
Uilleann Piper from beyond!!!
wharfedalecarving

Post by wharfedalecarving »

What's the history on the full set?
I quite like them except for the "body art". A bit of "over the top" art work for my tastes but so what. Someone must have loved 'em once.
Not too keen on the other pics though. Having said that, I've seen some antique sets with that "lived in look" about them and some people would sell their soul to the devil to own them.
Joseph (the UK one). :wink:
phcook

Post by phcook »

Is it real ivory?

Very nice set; is it today fully payable?
Breizh soner
ausdag

Re: What is Ugly?!

Post by ausdag »

Davey wrote: Image
Somehow I begin to think of Kenny Rogers, a pair of Six Shooters and BJ and the Bear re-runs. Yeeehaaaaaaaaa Image
Davey wrote: Image
Wooden bass reg upper and reed cap seems too thick and overburdonsome.

Chanter image with C# key.....
Blocks are too square - need to be rounded at the edges more.

That's what I reckon anyway....

Cheers,

DavidG
David (ausdag) Goldsworthy
http://ozuilleann.weebly.com/
jdevereux

Post by jdevereux »

Isn't that a Coyne set?
Nanohedron
Moderatorer
Tell us something.: Been a fluter, citternist, and uilleann piper; committed now to the way of the harp.

Oh, yeah: also a mod here, not a spammer. A matter of opinion, perhaps.

Post by Nanohedron »

Don't care for the chanter with the coil springs at all, for all the reasons mentioned.

As for the engraved set, the ivory is okay, but my own tastes would lean toward a greater uniformity or at least an aesthetic cross-referencing of the mounts of both drones and regs. In other words, they're too different from each other. :lol: I'd also prefer a less flared bass drone endmount for the same reasons, and less ivory on the regs; I feel like I'm being shouted at when I look at them, but that's just me.

The engraving I can take or leave. I admit I was terribly captivated with Gil Hocker's engraved set, but that is topnotch work, and it's hard not to admire that for what it is, and above all, it worked. Still, I felt no desire to emulate that taste. A full set is visually impressive enough when unengraved.

The bass reg endcap of wood looks nice to me at first glance. Would it be heavier than one of metal? That ivory mount at the end is pretty substantial. A different mount design might ameliorate any clunky appearance that a wooden reedcap might suffer.
MikeyLikesIt

Post by MikeyLikesIt »

The regcaps certainly more Egan-style.

Edited for mistake.
Last edited by MikeyLikesIt on Tue May 31, 2005 1:21 am, edited 1 time in total.
Unseen122
Tell us something.: Of course I'm not a bot; I've been here for years... Apparently that isn't enough to pass muster though!

Post by Unseen122 »

They are alright looking but it is more the sound than the look that is important.
ausdag

Post by ausdag »

Unseen122 wrote:They are alright looking but it is more the sound than the look that is important.
There's 'the look' and there's 'the look' If it looks bad because it was poorly crafted or the maker had some weird concepts for decorations then that is important. It means the maker is less likely to attract buyers than if s/he kept within traditional parameters and the piper will have people commenting under their breath on the wierd looking pipes that guy plays.

If they look bad because they are simply unkempt through lack of polish or whatever and the piper is a good player then that is important too - like many professional musicians it is more important to worry about the sound and one's performance than the outward appearance of one's instrument.

For me, the pipes shown above fall into the first category.

A wholly satisfying piping experience requires aesthetics as well as tonality.

Cheers,

DavidG
David (ausdag) Goldsworthy
http://ozuilleann.weebly.com/
Davey

clarification

Post by Davey »

...just to clarify...the chanter pictured above does not go with the engraved set. The second set was made by a fellow by the name of McPhee from Australia I believe. Here's a pic of the chanter that goes with the set...pitched in B.

In comparison to 2 other sets found in Australia made by Coynes...

Kevin L. Rietmann

Post by Kevin L. Rietmann »

If you look very closely at the brass/ebony concert pitch chanter you'll notice that it was hacked-out with a crappy hacksaw blade and some 100 grit sandpaper by a blind person. The back D hole is as wide as the bore itself I'd guess. Look at the lines in the ferrule - utter chaos. Whereas the turning and metalwork on the other sets is very clean and elegant, which is what Davey's talking about here.
When I first saw a pic of the McPhee set I refused to believe it wasn't an Egan. Great work, I haven't heard if it plays well or not. I was told McPhee was a New Zealander who mostly made Highland pipes. He built this Egan copy set in the 1950s. Dan O'Dowd's Egan set came from Australia, and Paddy Galvin's is in New Zealand; these are the Egan sets with the famed "trumpet-style" regulator caps McPhee has copied here.
rorybbellows
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Post by rorybbellows »

It is very difficult to call something ugly constructively .How would you tell a good friend that his wife is ugly constructively, some things are better left unsaid .

I think in some examples you have to differentiate between bad design, and bad workmanship
.There are some pipemakers who,s design,s I like (Based loosely on Rowsome)when you look at them from a distance, but then are very disappointing on closer inspection .Then there are some makers who do outstanding work but I personally don't like there design's

In trying to be constructive I personally think that the great Dave Williams had it all ,as does Geoff Wooff and Alain Froment!!!! Jarlath henderson,s pipe,s are a good example

RORY