Jim Daily's Pipes

A forum about Uilleann (Irish) pipes and the surly people who play them.
texasbagpiper
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Jim Daily's Pipes

Post by texasbagpiper »

I just checked out Jim Daily's website www.uilleann-pipes.com ... I guess Ive never checked his site out before, but he has some interesting stuff. Looks like his regs only have one key on each reg.... He has a keyless reg?? and many different drone styles..... Very Very interesting
Brian Lee
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8

Post by Brian Lee »

Not sure I'm crazy about Jim's asthetics, but it is indeed a unique design...
That's one distinct bass drone return huh?

(anyone else using wooden keys on any parts of their sets?)
texasbagpiper

Post by texasbagpiper »

Brian Lee wrote: That's one distinct bass drone return huh?

Thats exactly what I was thinking....
PJ
Tell us something.: ......................................................................................................

Post by PJ »

I don't think this is representative of his work. I've seen other photos of his pipes and they look much better.

http://www.uilleann-pipes.com/photos.shtml

His website has some sounds. I don't have a sound card in my work PC but I'll check it out this evening at home. I'm curious to hear how they sound.
PJ
texasbagpiper

Post by texasbagpiper »

I think all his stuff looks good.. I like different styles from the norm...
BigDavy

Jim Daily's Pipes

Post by BigDavy »

Hi texasbagpiper

If you like different, then Jim is your man. One of his main pleasures in life is playing around with his pipe designs. For example, Mark's pipes (the ones on the website) have 2 drones made from plastic pipe and brass tubing.

I can safely say that I have not seen Jim make two sets the same, every set is different (it must satisfy some artistic sense of his). My particular preference is for the compact designs in maple and brass as I think they look better, and I like the sound from a maple chanter. (I have 3 chanters in maple and one in blackwood by him - the chanters are nice, pity about my playing however).

Anyone buying a set of Jim's pipes will get a very individual looking instrument which will sound lovely in the hands of a beginner (if I can produce a nice sound from his chanters then anyone can :P ) and be very expressive in the hands of an experienced player.

David
Payday, Piping, Percussion and Poetry- the 4 best Ps
Fergmaun
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Post by Fergmaun »

You can see Jim Daily playing that set at the Belfast Tionol 2003. http://www.uilleann.nl/emigratie/pictur ... ionol.html

Cheers

Ferg
Fergus Maunsell
Belfast
Ireland

http://www.myspace.com/fergusmaunsell
PJ
Tell us something.: ......................................................................................................

Post by PJ »

I've just listened to the soundfiles on Jim Daily's website and I think his pipes sound great. The only thing is that I couldn't play his MP3 files so I couldn't hear what his regulators sound like. From what I heard, he sound like a nifty piper.

All there is to criticise is the unconventional way he makes the drones and regs and I'm sure the Taylor bros had a few critics in their day.
PJ
Hip O'Potamus

mp3 on Jim Daily's site

Post by Hip O'Potamus »

I think they are recording of one of his students.
PJ

Re: mp3 on Jim Daily's site

Post by PJ »

Hip O'Potamus wrote:I think they are recording of one of his students.
I don't know who recorded them but a few months ago I was toying with the idea of buying a set from him. I emailed him. His son replied. He said that Jim has previously won the All Britain Piping title playing one of his own sets. Now, I don't know anything about that competition, but it seems to indicate that Jim can play.

Still, my point was that his pipes sound fine, even great.
PJ