Chiff & Fipple Native American Flute Forum

The Ultimate On-Line Whistle Community. If you find one more ultimater, let us know.
Dale
The Landlord
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Chiff & Fipple Native American Flute Forum

Post by Dale »

By request, I have established the Chiff & Fipple Native American Flute forum. I'm told that the people who enjoy these instruments don't have a good online forum, and I'm glad to try to help. I had some requests to establish a sub-forum on this main C&F message board, but I have wanted to avoid too much Forum Proliferation on the board, and so I've established an entirely new forum at

http://www.chiffandfipple.com/naf/

I set up the phpbb thing on my hosting service and am going to try to administer and moderate it myself. I want to be more like Rich. (It's all I've ever wanted.) We'll see how it goes. If it proves too much, or if the disk storage or bandwith requirements (or whatever) get to be too much, I'll pass it off to someone or shut it down, or whatever.

In the meantime, we'll see how it develops.

Dale

Edited August 2005 to change web address.
Last edited by Dale on Sat Oct 22, 2005 7:43 am, edited 2 times in total.
vaporlock

Post by vaporlock »

Hmmmm.. usually I'd wait and let somebody else say something, but, since this is a new forum that is rather unadvertised I can acknowledge the fact that maybe nobody has tried it yet.....the link doesn't seem to work.
glauber

Post by glauber »

It's broken right now, but it used to work. Dale is working on fixing it.
On the Internet, nobody knows you're a dog!
--Wellsprings--
Dale
The Landlord

Post by Dale »

vaporlock wrote:Hmmmm.. usually I'd wait and let somebody else say something, but, since this is a new forum that is rather unadvertised I can acknowledge the fact that maybe nobody has tried it yet.....the link doesn't seem to work.
It is down and I'm working on a fix.

I'm not sure how to advertise it. When I started it I sent out a couple dozen emails to all kinds of vendors, associations, relatively famous players. I got not a single reply. During the time it was up, not much was happening on the forum.

Dale
sheryl_coleman

Post by sheryl_coleman »

Hi,

I do have to say that there are quite a few well established Yahoo groups, at least one listserv, and other group sites that deal with NAF. Not that I don´t think there´s always room for more, but there is some tough competition out there to starting something new.

I hadn´t joined this one, mainly because I belong to too many already! I did browse around it a couple times, though.

Sheryl
scottie
antispam: No

Where Did It Go?

Post by scottie »

I wrote to the Native American Flute forum once before and was trying to check it out for more info tonight and could not find it. I will be checking out some NA flutes this weekend and thought I would see if there was more participation. Hope you get it going again.
Thank you,
Scottie
nancymae

Native American Flute Forum

Post by nancymae »

Hello All,
I also play the Native American Flute and belong to a couple of Yahoo group sites. I hope you get it back up and running Dale...as I would participate. I will also spread the word in my various groups.

Thanks for doing this!
Nancy
Tyler
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: I've picked up the tinwhistle again after several years, and have recently purchased a Chieftain v5 from Kerry Whistles that I cannot wait to get (why can't we beam stuff yet, come on Captain Kirk, get me my Low D!)

Post by Tyler »

Bought myself a really nice NA flute in F#minor this month. Set me back more than $200 but it plays really nice. Ijust love it.
Good to see there are others here interested in it.
I'll post some pics of my flute when I get some webspace to post the url from. :)
“First lesson: money is not wealth; Second lesson: experiences are more valuable than possessions; Third lesson: by the time you arrive at your goal it’s never what you imagined it would be so learn to enjoy the process” - unknown
nancymae

Native American Flute

Post by nancymae »

Hi Tyler,
Just wanted to know if you are linked up to any music resources online? Or are you playing by the heart? My flute is a C flute...can be played either a 5 hole or 6 hole. I have obtained some books online..and participate in a "My Family" community...but they are mostly into making flutes. There isn't much activity on the yahoo group sites either. Sometimes more...but mostly less.

I would like to pariticipate in a NA Flute forum...which focuses on playing..techniques..and so forth.

Nancy
Tyler
Tell us something.: I've picked up the tinwhistle again after several years, and have recently purchased a Chieftain v5 from Kerry Whistles that I cannot wait to get (why can't we beam stuff yet, come on Captain Kirk, get me my Low D!)

Post by Tyler »

Nancy,
Havent really gotten on to any of the other resources online yet, just kind of playin by heart, y'know. It's great fun.
Mine's a six hole. I love it so much that I'm already sockin away for another, probably from the same guy in Michigan. His place is called Spirit Flutes I think....
“First lesson: money is not wealth; Second lesson: experiences are more valuable than possessions; Third lesson: by the time you arrive at your goal it’s never what you imagined it would be so learn to enjoy the process” - unknown
nancymae

Native American Flute

Post by nancymae »

Hi Tyler,
Just wanted to know if you are linked up to any music resources online? Or are you playing by the heart? My flute is a C flute...can be played either a 5 hole or 6 hole. I have obtained some books online..and participate in a "My Family" community...but they are mostly into making flutes. There isn't much activity on the yahoo group sites either. Sometimes more...but mostly less.

I would like to pariticipate in a NA Flute forum...which focuses on playing..techniques..and so forth.

Nancy
nancymae

Post by nancymae »

I bought mine from High Sprits flues from Arizona. I do love it as well. It gives a different feel than the Irish whistle....which I love for different reasons. If you would like to hear some great NA flute music, check out Mary Youngblood or Carlos Nakai. Both are just wonderful. You can get music books too from www.oregonflutestore.com among others. There are even books on ebay. (Look for Native American Flute) Although, I can relate to playing by the heart. It is the best way I believe.

Also...if you are into TV, check out the miniseries (which is now in the last installment) this coming weekend on TNT called Into the West. Great flute music....hard history to watch though. I have cried at each installment on the genecide of this culture. But, throughout the series there have been such beautiful music....there were even tin whistles! (They played the Irish Washerwoman at a wedding reception). So...check it out. This is the last weekend. You can catch it on Fri or Sat or Sun...8 - 10 EST.

Hey..I guess we are starting our own NA flute forum right here!

Peace,
Nancy
Tyler

Post by Tyler »

Nancy,
Thanks for the heads up!
Will check into your reccomendations! :D
morning girl

I got one, too.

Post by morning girl »

Hi! I searched on the site for "native american flute" and found this. Yippee! :D

The sad news is that my Brother loaned me his because I can't play my whistles anymore. :sniffle: My ears make a whooshing sound when I play high or loud notes. I have tinnitus in one of them (ringing). I can play my F# flute just fine, though.

Could someone tell me where to find other forums? I need guidance about how to select my own when the only way to get one seems to be online or at pow-wows. They cost a lot more than my lonely little friends in my dresser drawer. I need to be better informed.

Thanks in advance!
nancymae

Post by nancymae »

Hi Morninggirl. Welcome! I bought my flute over the internet...although it would have been nicer to try some out first. Since you are working with an f#, you obviously have a good grasp of the wind needed for the various flutes. I bought my flute at www.highspirits.com which have sound bites. Also, there are a number of Native American flute groups on Yahoo...so check them out. They have a number of great flute makers on there as well..so feel free to ask. I mentioned the oregon flute store as one possibility...and there is also a number of good flutes on ebay as well.

A note for you...the guy who won the grammy last year for the Native American music was Bill Miller who uses High Spirits flutes. (He is a Wisconsin native) But, highspirits is the only flute that I have tried...so I am a novice!

Do more google searches, especially on flute circles to find one in your area. They usually have groups of people who play and make flutes...and bring them to try out. We are going to a pow wow this weekend..and I'm really looking forward to seeing others who play the flute. I'm making a flute bag this week to carry mine in.

Good luck!

Nancy