Irish Uilleann Piper's of Quebec Meeting in Quebec City

A forum about Uilleann (Irish) pipes and the surly people who play them.
upiper71

Irish Uilleann Piper's of Quebec Meeting in Quebec City

Post by upiper71 »

The provisional arrangements are as follows:

Date: Saturday, 16th April 2005

Venue: Kirk Hall, Quebec City Centre (or possibly McMahon Hall, near Cartier)...LOCATION YET TO BE DETERMINED.

Activities:

Morning (say 10.30 or 11.00) workshop on reeds - making and troubleshooting. We can add other topics as needed. Also, non-U-Pipers may want to take a closer look at a set.

Afternoon: Music - we'll play a few tunes with a general invite to anyone who are interested. This must all be discussed and agreed but what I had in mind was that each of us would present one or two tunes. We'd like to invite other musicians (flutes, fiddles, other pipes, etc). All to be discussed. I'm open to suggestions.

upiper71
PJ
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: ......................................................................................................

Post by PJ »

This sounds good. I might attend. :wink:

By the way, if anyone knows Christophe Garenc, I'm trying to find his email or phone number. I hear he's back in Quebec following a few years in Switzerland.
PJ
Tell us something.: ......................................................................................................

Post by PJ »

Just to let you know, I'm meeting with IHQ tomorrow evening and will hopefully have confirmation of the date and venue. A number of GHB players have contacted me. They're interested in attending, no doubt to see how music and bagpipes are not mutually exclusive.

Watch this space.

PJ
upiper71

Irish Piper's of Quebec Meeting in Quebec City

Post by upiper71 »

PJ,
Great stuff!

I've also had an over-whelming response to the meeting, numerous e-mails and tele calls. I've no update on the venue, just be sure to check this again, to view the details of the meet-and-greet there. We've seem to attracted a lot of interest in this area.

upiper71
JamieKerr
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by JamieKerr »

This really does sound like it could turn out to be an interesting meeting. Never mind the fact that Quebec City is a jewel of a city. This is one where I know the wife will want to go along for the sightseeing, the atmosphere and the shopping! :lol:
PJ

Post by PJ »

Hi Jamie,

For your sake, I hope the wife doesn't like shopping in Quebec city too much.

But seriously, I spoke last night with Irish Heritage Quebec. They're happy to be associated with the event. They'll give us a hand with organising a venue (probably McMahon Hall).

A bunch of GHB pipers from the Fraser highlanders have asked to come along. Their attendance is conditional on their promising not to bring their GHBs :lol: :lol:

There might be a surprise guest - more about that later when plans have been firmed up a little. :D

Watch this space.
upiper71

Post by upiper71 »

So is the location confirmed PJ, the last I heard it was Kirk Hall.

If they bring their GHB's I'll bring my earplugs for everyone. :lol: :lol:
PJ

Post by PJ »

I've been told that the Kirk hall would be fine for the workshop but if we're throwing open the doors to the public, it would be too small. McMahon hall (capacity 200) has been suggested. I've got to call to see if it's available for 16th April. I'll keep you posted.

PJ
PJ

Post by PJ »

Things are coming together. The provisional timetable is:

10.30 to 12.30 - Workshop - reedmaking, pipe maintenance, etc. I suggest that this part of the day be reserved for pipers. In that regard, people interested in attending will be asked to register beforehand (by emailing me). This is not intended to keep people out but rather to reduce the number of people who want to just 'pop in'. I'm suggesting $10 per head for those attending. This will go towards room rental. As previously mentioned, we might have a surprise for this part of the day. I'll say nothing more about this for the time being, though.

2 to 5 - Music - Other musicians will be invited along and the doors will be thrown open to the public. There will be no entrance fee, but we'll suggest donations of $5 per person to Irish Heritage and the Literary and Historical Society.

The timing of the event (Saturday in mid April) should attract plenty of people who are looking for things to do after the long winter.

Looking forward to seeing you all in Quebec city.

PJ
upiper71

Post by upiper71 »

Great work PJ!

April 16th-05 is coming fast.
upiper71

Post by upiper71 »

I'll be bringing alot more tunes up to the meet. Approximately 150 more tunes on paper if anyone wishes to copy or perhaps borrow to assimilate into their record books. Some of the tunes come from an area in Scotland where my g-father came from Ayrshire. All notations and ornamentations are original to the best of my knowledge, they were transcribed from OPR dating back to the mid 1840's.

upiper71
PJ

Post by PJ »

Bring them along. I'd be particularly interested in any Border music.

I'm trying to put together one or two Quebec reels. Not too easy as they're written for fiddle and any notion of regular time goes out the window (some bars 4 4, others 6 4, etc).
PJ

Post by PJ »

The Literary and Historical Society have offered us the use of Kirk Hall for the entire day. I think this makes a lot of sense - we wouldn't have to cart pipes and tools from one venue to another. They're also offering to market the event as a collaboration of L&H, Irish Heritage Quebec and the Irish Pipers Club. They've got good contacts with the media, particularly CBC Radio and one or two local newspapers.

I suggest we accept their offer - what do you guys think?

PJ
djm
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by djm »

If all your pipers are up to snuff and this is going to be a public show of UPs then go for it. If you have people coming to actually learn how to play and/or maintain UPs, you aren't going to get much accomplished if you advertise and hoards of gawkers show up.

djm
I'd rather be atop the foothills than beneath them.
PJ

Post by PJ »

djm wrote:you aren't going to get much accomplished if you advertise and hoards of gawkers show up.
The morning workshop is for pipers or those genuinely interested in piping. Those who wish to attend will be asked to register beforehand - this is to keep the hoards of gawkers away.

The afternoon session will heartily welcome the hoards of gawkers. In fact, we're structuring the event so that two gawkers get in for the price of one. They just have to show a valid "Gawker Card" or alternatively be members of the SCUPC :lol: :lol: