Sweetheart Pro Whistles: Color problem

The Ultimate On-Line Whistle Community. If you find one more ultimater, let us know.
waltsweet
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8

Sweetheart Pro Whistles: Color problem

Post by waltsweet »

Dad and I did a large batch of Pro Whistles at the shop, only to find that we have a problem in matching the color of the laminated birch (a color-control problem where the material was manufactured). The whistles still hold their own: I gave them a new bore in the body, and they're more resonant than the last batch. On the G-hole, I undercut above to improve the octave. The finish is great, the scale is true, the response is balanced and the tone is sweet. The craftsmanship is solid, but the bodies are a dark walnutty shade which doesn't quite complement the peat-brown shade of the heads (although each color is nice in itself). We've decided to stand by our workmanship while taking responsibility for the color problem and knocking off $10 apiece for the aesthetic offense. 'My bad. When I buy the laminate for our next batch in the future, I'll just have to make the color a stronger issue with the supplier. Meanwhile, whistles will sell not for $135 but $125; Fifes will sell not for $105 but $95. The extra Fife/Whistle head ('Trio') is still an option at an extra $5 off. Again, our regrets. :oops:

Walt Sweet, Designer
Ralph Sweet, Proprietor
Sweetheart Flute Co.

p.s.: This posting has been cleared with Dale
brewerpaul
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Post by brewerpaul »

A good deal, and a good way to use cosmetically "off" but otherwise perfect instrument parts. I don't have a color match problem, since I make each whistle from one piece of wood, but once in a while I'll have a head from one whistle and a body from a completely different species hanging around: sometimes parts explode in the lathe. Rather than trash some pretty timber, I'll sell those at a discount. Really makes for a one of a kind whistle.
Walt-- you might want to post a picture if you can.
I played some of these whistles and fifes last summer and really liked them a lot.
Got wood?
http://www.Busmanwhistles.com
Let me custom make one for you!
RonKiley
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by RonKiley »

It would be real nice to see a picture even if its only on your website.

Paul, when you have these discounted whistles do you post the availability here also?

Ron
I've never met a whistle I didn't want.
waltsweet
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8

Pictures

Post by waltsweet »

Paul and Ron, Thanks for your understanding.
http://www.sweetheartflute.com
Dale
The Landlord

Re: Sweetheart Pro Whistles: Color problem

Post by Dale »

waltsweet wrote:Dad and I did a large batch of Pro Whistles at the shop, only to find that we have a problem in matching the color of the laminated birch (a color-control problem where the material was manufactured). The whistles still hold their own: I gave them a new bore in the body, and they're more resonant than the last batch. On the G-hole, I undercut above to improve the octave. The finish is great, the scale is true, the response is balanced and the tone is sweet. The craftsmanship is solid, but the bodies are a dark walnutty shade which doesn't quite complement the peat-brown shade of the heads (although each color is nice in itself). We've decided to stand by our workmanship while taking responsibility for the color problem and knocking off $10 apiece for the aesthetic offense. 'My bad. When I buy the laminate for our next batch in the future, I'll just have to make the color a stronger issue with the supplier. Meanwhile, whistles will sell not for $135 but $125; Fifes will sell not for $105 but $95. The extra Fife/Whistle head ('Trio') is still a n option at an extra $5 off. Again, our regrets. :oops:

Walt Sweet, Designer
Ralph Sweet, Proprietor
Sweetheart Flute Co.

p.s.: This posting has been cleared with Dale
For what it is worth, I fine myself frequently going back to this whistle since Walt sent one over. I love it.
Redwolf
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Post by Redwolf »

Me too. I've had mine for close to a year now, and I still love it.

Redwolf
...agus déanfaidh mé do mholadh ar an gcruit a Dhia, a Dhia liom!
Guitar Kat =^..^=

Post by Guitar Kat =^..^= »

Your site is wonderful, Waltsweet. I'll look into buying an Irish Flute from you fellows. :)
~~~~
Kat =^..^=
izzarina

Post by izzarina »

my Sweetheart has very quickly become my favorite whistle. Matched or not, I highly recommend it!
I looked at the pictures on the site, and I personally think it gives them character. :)
Someday, everything is gonna be diff'rent
When I paint my masterpiece.
RonKiley

Post by RonKiley »

Now if I can just find the money. I have dropped a few hints that my birthday is in less than 2 weeks. Maybe I will come up with the money. We shall see.

Ron
I've never met a whistle I didn't want.
Tyghress

Post by Tyghress »

<holding my breath until I get a low D>

Hey, Walt....two-toned whistles are supposed to be a FEATURE, not a flaw!
Remember, you didn't get the tiger so it would do what you wanted. You got the tiger to see what it wanted to do. -- Colin McEnroe