Lawrence Nugent...

The Ultimate On-Line Whistle Community. If you find one more ultimater, let us know.
Davey
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Lawrence Nugent...

Post by Davey »

What a lovely night! I must say, Lawrence Nugent has GOT to be one of the best flute and whistle players I've ever heard. I spent the evening listening to him on his superb olwell flute and one of my blackwood whistles... It was a real pleasure watching that man REALLY play!
MikeyLikesIt
antispam: No

Post by MikeyLikesIt »

Sounds like a good time, I'm looking foward to Paddy Keenan coming here in March! I'll have to zoom through one of my finals to get to the show in time though. But for Paddy, anything! :D :D :D

Is Mr. Nugent a touring musician? I'd like to see him perform sometime.

-Mike
Wombat

Re: Lawrence Nugent...

Post by Wombat »

Davey wrote:What a lovely night! I must say, Lawrence Nugent has GOT to be one of the best flute and whistle players I've ever heard. I spent the evening listening to him on his superb olwell flute and one of my blackwood whistles... It was a real pleasure watching that man REALLY play!
He is a superb player. I'm curious to know what he sounded like on your blackwood whistle. On record, he gets a husky sound on what I assume is a Copeland high D which I also have assumed should be the trademark of that instrument, even though I can't coax it out of mine. (I get it on Copeland lows easily enough, and on Overtons across the range.)
blackhawk

Post by blackhawk »

He's one of my favorites. Wish I'd been there to hear him! When is his new CD coming out?
Nothing is so firmly believed as that which is least known--Montaigne

We can easily forgive a child who is afraid of the dark. The real tragedy of life is when men are afraid of the light
--Plato
PaulGil

Post by PaulGil »

I was in a class with Mr. Nugent at Gaelic Roots Boston College a few years back - I was very green at the time and really didn't know much - still don't - but that class inspired me to stick with the flute and aim for the kind of soul and spirit Larry gets out of it - nothing short of brilliant - run don't walk to pick up his CD's - you won't believe what this guy can do with a holey stick...not to mention his whistle prowess - he has complete control over the Copeland and plays with abandon to lift ya outta yer socks...His performance at the end of week concert will forever be in my most memorable experiences...
Best!
Paulgil
TomB

Post by TomB »

Davey wrote:What a lovely night! I must say, Lawrence Nugent has GOT to be one of the best flute and whistle players I've ever heard. I spent the evening listening to him on his superb olwell flute and one of my blackwood whistles... It was a real pleasure watching that man REALLY play!

Is there a new CD coming out?????

Tom
"Consult the Book of Armaments"
Bloomfield
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8

Post by Bloomfield »

Wombat wrote:
He is a superb player. I'm curious to know what he sounded like on your blackwood whistle. On record, he gets a husky sound on what I assume is a Copeland high D which I also have assumed should be the trademark of that instrument, even though I can't coax it out of mine. (I get it on Copeland lows easily enough, and on Overtons across the range.)
Interesting about personal sound preferences. That "husky" sound on LN's records is one the main things turning me off Copelands. The sound has this hollowness to my ears, combined with this tiny chirps around the edges that I find annoying more than anything. Just talking about the sound here (and hey, I'll take it!). Love the playing, that pushy breath thing, the rhythm and flow of it.
/Bloomfield
michael_coleman
Tell us something.: I play the first flute Jon Cochran ever made but haven't been very active on the board the last 9-10 years. Life happens I guess...I owned a keyed M&E flute for a while and I kind of miss it.

Post by michael_coleman »

Besides the track of him on the WFO cd I couldn't find much else on the internet, anybody got any links?
Wombat

Post by Wombat »

Bloomfield wrote:
Wombat wrote:
Interesting about personal sound preferences. That "husky" sound on LN's records is one the main things turning me off Copelands. The sound has this hollowness to my ears, combined with this tiny chirps around the edges that I find annoying more than anything. Just talking about the sound here (and hey, I'll take it!). Love the playing, that pushy breath thing, the rhythm and flow of it.
I like the husky sound but I wouldn't say I have a clear preference for it. I really like it when it's Larry Nugent making it. I really don't have an ideal high D sound. I really especially like Busman, Overton, Sindt and Generation amongst my own D whistles and they each sound different. But Larry gets the sound out of his Copeland I was expecting from mine but can't get. Others confirm that Copelands are a bit inconsistent, something I wouldn't say about Sindts or Overtons.
Last edited by Wombat on Fri Jan 21, 2005 12:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.
glauber

Post by glauber »

michael_coleman wrote:Besides the track of him on the WFO cd I couldn't find much else on the internet, anybody got any links?
As usual, Amazon is your friend, when you're looking for sound clips.
On the Internet, nobody knows you're a dog!
--Wellsprings--
TonyHiggins

Post by TonyHiggins »

Don't delay by loading clips from Amazon, just order all his cd's. (3 at this point.) If you want to try just one, my favorite is Windy Gap, his latest. If he puts out another one, I won't hesitate to buy it without waiting for reviews or samples.
Tony
http://tinwhistletunes.com/clipssnip/newspage.htm Officially, the government uses the term “flap,” describing it as “a condition, a situation or a state of being, of a group of persons, characterized by an advanced degree of confusion that has not quite reached panic proportions.”
TomB

Post by TomB »

TonyHiggins wrote:Don't delay by loading clips from Amazon, just order all his cd's. (3 at this point.) If you want to try just one, my favorite is Windy Gap, his latest. If he puts out another one, I won't hesitate to buy it without waiting for reviews or samples.
Tony

Tony- I have both Two on Two and Windy Gap. Both are excellent, Windy Gap being my favorite of the two.

Just curious- What is the first cd like? Do you recommend it?

Thanks, Tom
Bloomfield

Post by Bloomfield »

TomB wrote:
TonyHiggins wrote:Don't delay by loading clips from Amazon, just order all his cd's. (3 at this point.) If you want to try just one, my favorite is Windy Gap, his latest. If he puts out another one, I won't hesitate to buy it without waiting for reviews or samples.
Tony

Tony- I have both Two on Two and Windy Gap. Both are excellent, Windy Gap being my favorite of the two.

Thanks, Tom
Of the three, I like the first one best. It seems the strongest and rawest to me. The second one in particular is a bit too smooth around the edges.
/Bloomfield
TomB

Post by TomB »

Bloomfield wrote:
TomB wrote:
Tony

Thanks, Tom

Thanks Mr. Bloom. I appreciate it.

Tom

Of the three, I like the first one best. It seems the strongest and rawest to me. The second one in particular is a bit too smooth around the edges.
TonyHiggins

Post by TonyHiggins »

I agree with Bloomfield's assessment of the cd differences. I like Windy Gap the best because I like the selection of tunes the best. That often sways my preferences. I just listened to the first one the other day and had forgotten there are some excellent tunes there as well. (Nugent is a big source for new tunes to learn by me. :) )
Tony
http://tinwhistletunes.com/clipssnip/newspage.htm Officially, the government uses the term “flap,” describing it as “a condition, a situation or a state of being, of a group of persons, characterized by an advanced degree of confusion that has not quite reached panic proportions.”