USA, California, Santa Cruz

Chiff and Fipple in your hometown.
MikeyLikesIt
antispam: No

USA, California, Santa Cruz

Post by MikeyLikesIt »

Here's a link to the Celtic Society of the Monterey Bay Area and the Clifford-Hoban Branch of Comhaltas Ceoltóirí Éireann for those interested in getting contact info for sessions, concerts, fairs, and such.

*Added, thanks to the nonstop searching by Redwolf and the crew over at thesesion.org, is a slow session held every 3rd Sunday at the NOAA building down at the UC Marine Research Campus. It's from 2-4pm with tunebooks available for $15. There is also a session on every 2nd Sunday at Britannia Arma Restaurant ad Pub. I forgot what time that was, I'll get back and post it here when I find out. I think it's something like 4-8PM.

Cheers,
Mike

Monterey Celtic Society
http://www.celticsociety.org/index.html

Clifford-Hoban Branch of Comhaltas Ceoltóirí Éireann
http://www.folkplanet.com/cce/ceili.html
Last edited by MikeyLikesIt on Thu Jan 13, 2005 3:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.
George
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: I'm interested in Irish traditional music. Specifically flute & uilleann pipes at the moment. Did you know that the Sally Garden's starts like G2 DG B2 GB using the ABC language, that's certainly fascinating isn't it?

Post by George »

Who else out there lives is Santa Cruz? It'd be nice to get together and play. Haven't met you before Mike, are you new to the area?

-Sincerely,
George Grasso
MikeyLikesIt

Post by MikeyLikesIt »

Hi George, originally from San Jose, I've been living here for about a year and a half attending UCSC. Yourself, Redwolf, and me are the only Irish trad. musicians in the area I know of (at least that frequent this forum or thesession.org. I'm sure there are more. We'll just have to flush them out somehow. There was a four-person trad group I saw perform at Rosie McCann's on St. Patty's day last year, but didn't feel like I was well enough a player yet to ask them if they were local or not and whether or not they wanted to get together for some tunes. And on that note, it would be splended if the three of us (yourself, Redwolf, me, and/or any other troops we can muster up) could get together and make the best of it. Three's company right? Or is it just a really small session? oh well, hope to hear from you or any other musician in the SC area.

Cheers,
Mike
Redwolf
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Post by Redwolf »

It's like a feast after a famine! I live up near Felton and, until very recently, the only time I ever even SAW Irish musicians around here was the token few who made it to the Highland Games in Ben Lomond.

I keep thinking we need to talk that Irish pub downtown into hosting a session (not Rosie McCann's, but the other one...what is it, "The Poet and the Patriot" or something like that?).

Redwolf
...agus déanfaidh mé do mholadh ar an gcruit a Dhia, a Dhia liom!
MikeyLikesIt

Post by MikeyLikesIt »

The only thing really Irish about Rosie's that I've noticed is the name, beer, and food titles. They tend to have a DJ play EVERY friggin' night. It's more of a chain pub than a real one. Poet and the Patriot sounds like fun, wonder if they'll let underage folks in.

-Mike
Redwolf

Post by Redwolf »

MikeyLikesIt wrote:The only thing really Irish about Rosie's that I've noticed is the name, beer, and food titles. They tend to have a DJ play EVERY friggin' night. It's more of a chain pub than a real one. Poet and the Patriot sounds like fun, wonder if they'll let underage folks in.

-Mike
I need to find out more about them. I saw them featured in the Sentinel, but they sounded like they tended more toward poetry readings (gag!) than music, though the article did mention an open mike night. I'm not even sure exactly where they are downtown. Still, they may be interested. I'll see if I can find more information.

Yeah, Rosie's is a farce. When they don't have a DJ, they have jazz. Every time I walk by there, I yell "She's the star of the County Down, for Pete's sake!" (fortunately, this being Santa Cruz, no one really notices!).

Redwolf
Redwolf

Post by Redwolf »

Well, so much for that idea. I looked them up and gave them a call. I spent several minutes trying to help the girl who answered the phone understand what a session is (she kept saying "we just stopped doing that," but what she was describing sounded more like a performance than a session). She told me they plan to re-start their "'Celtic' open mike nights," but didn't sound very interested in having a session there (even granted her rather vague understanding of what I was talking about).

I didn't get around to asking if they allow underage folks, Mike, because the conversation was so discouraging (I kept wanting to yell "just what exactly is "Irish" about this pub anyway!!!"), but you might want to give them a call at 426-8620. Maybe if a few of us express an interest in getting something going there, they'd be more open to the idea. It does seem sad that, with two places claiming to be "Irish" pubs in town, the only sessions are at NOAA and The Britannia Arms! Not that I have anything against either location, but wouldn't you think an Irish pub would jump at the chance to have Irish music? Sure would be nice to have something going on closer to downtown. Poet & Patriot is near the corner of Cedar St. and Birch, by the way.

Redwolf

Redwolf
MikeyLikesIt

Post by MikeyLikesIt »

I've been talking to George a bit lately, and been running into a couple Irish musicians around my campus and we hope to soon start a session on or near the UC campus. I'll let everyone know more as the details are created.

-Mike
Richard Katz
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

George Grasso contact me please

Post by Richard Katz »

Hey George,

Could you please contact me at rkatz2552@aol.com? I have a gig proposition for you.

Richard Katz
Redwolf

Post by Redwolf »

Just to update on the Britannia Arms session in Aptos:

It's second Sundays starting at around 7:00 p.m. It seems that a lot of people come early and have a bite to eat before getting down to playing. Mike and I were both there on Sunday, and I thought it was a lot of fun...very friendly, supportive group and lots of different skill levels.

Redwolf
Hayduke

Poet and Patriot

Post by Hayduke »

Howdy Gents! Mind if I squeeze up to the bar?

I've put together the new Poet and Patriot web site at http://www.poetandpatriot.info. I'm trying to coax Chris Matthews and Chris Kelly into doing more outreach and more sessions.

Let me know what you'd like to see on the web site.

Hayduke
Hayduke

Post by Hayduke »

[quote="Redwolf"]I looked them up and gave them a call. I spent several minutes trying to help the girl who answered the phone understand what a session is (she kept saying "we just stopped doing that," but what she was describing sounded more like a performance than a session). She told me they plan to re-start their "'Celtic' open mike nights," but didn't sound very interested in having a session there (even granted her rather vague understanding of what I was talking about).

You need to talk to Chris Matthews, the owner, or Chis Kelly, the manager about sessions. I'd love to hear music at the P&P every night!

Get back to me asap on this if I can be of any help. I'm off to Ireland for three weeks after April 14. I'll be back May 9.

Hayduke
MikeyLikesIt

Post by MikeyLikesIt »

Hello Hayduke, sessions at the Poet would be great. But I've heard it's got more of bar rules with only 21+. I'm 20, you think they'd make an exception for musicians.

-Mike
Hayduke

Post by Hayduke »

MikeyLikesIt wrote:Hello Hayduke, sessions at the Poet would be great. But I've heard it's got more of bar rules with only 21+. I'm 20, you think they'd make an exception for musicians.
Hi Mike:

The P&P is licensed by the City of Santa Cruz as a bar, so the 21 year-old rule is imposed by the the law, not by preference of the owners. I'll be talking to the Chris's about possible sessions in the courtyard outside so that talented young musicians can take part.

Stay posted!

Michael
Grack
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8

Post by Grack »

Hi all...I'm in Santa Cruz too. I've exchanged an email or two with Mike (providing that's the same Mike) viz thesession.org. Thought I'd swing over here too...

Just for an introduction: I do play whistle, thought pretty poorly. I'm mostly a string player... I usually play Octave Mandolin or Tenor Banjo when I'm in the mood for melody...I play guitar as well.

Everyone else here predominantly whistle players/pipes?

Funny about the Poet and Patriot. Doesn't allow people under 21 in becuase it's a bar and that's against the law, but any night of the week 30% of the people in that place are smoking...and that's against the law. Oh well, they pick and choose. ;-) Nothing against them, I visit there on occassion myself...though the smoking does put me off. Still, sessions there WOULD be great.

I'm hoping to get the the next NOAA session and maybe the next Britania Arms session in Aptos. But I'm also up for trying to start a new session...between the two above that's only 2 chances to play per month. It would be nice if there were more options, for sure...at P&P or even at someone's home.

Btw, anyone know of a Uilleann pipe teacher in the area?

- Greg