ADVISE DALE HERE

The Ultimate On-Line Whistle Community. If you find one more ultimater, let us know.
talasiga
antispam: No

ADVISE DALE HERE

Post by talasiga »

Recently the Moderator, Dale, instigated this INSULT DALE HERE topic. This is one of many such topics commenced by Dale apparently in the spirit of inviting commentary on his actions as a moderator. I find this to be a rather demeaning avenue for feedback as it invites feedback in terms of the lowest common denominator.

I would like to see a thread which empowers us to give thoughtful, constructive feedback and criticism to Dale and that is the reason I have intiated this topic.

Please, no insults here. Thoughtful and positive or negtive criticism and advice only. Thank you.
qui jure suo utitur neminem laedit
emmline

Re: ADVISE DALE HERE

Post by emmline »

talasiga wrote:Recently the Moderator, Dale, instigated this INSULT DALE HERE topic. This is one of many such topics commenced by Dale apparently in the spirit of inviting commentary on his actions as a moderator. I find this to be a rather demeaning avenue for feedback as it invites feedback in terms of the lowest common denominator.
Have you looked at the thread to which you refer? Are you perhaps taking it too seriously? Rhetorical question only...no argument required.
talasiga

Post by talasiga »

ADVICE 1

Dear Dale, you locked the Sweetheart Rosewood flute topic because
DaleWisely wrote: Well, I'm going to lock this thread due to the mix of personal insults and misplaced political commentary (we have a dedicated thread for that). I once again invite andrewK to start a new thread.

Also, so there will be no question about me being thin-skinned about personal attacks on self, I'm starting an INSULT DALE HERE thread.

Thanks,

Dale
I do not think this is a wise manouver. If locking a topic is the only answer to the hijacking of a topic by irrelevant or other inappropriate posts, then every well meaning topic could be sabotaged by members posting such messages thus forcing the topic to be locked.

If you are concerned about misplaced or otherwise inappropriate commentary in any topic (as is your undisputed prerogative), may I suggest that you simply remove them from the topic and delete them altogether or dump them in some trash can section of the forum.

When you simply lock a topic, you are throwing the baby out with the bath water.
Last edited by talasiga on Tue Jan 04, 2005 7:35 pm, edited 3 times in total.
Nanohedron
Moderatorer
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: Been a fluter, citternist, and uilleann piper; committed now to the way of the harp.

Oh, yeah: also a mod here, not a spammer. A matter of opinion, perhaps.

Post by Nanohedron »

Advice #2:

Disregard Talasiga. Locked threads are instructive particularly to those who pursue the Path of Reasonableness.
izzarina
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by izzarina »

I have a POSITIVE criticism....Dale, I don't think it would be wise for you to wear that yellow polka dot tie with your purple smoking jacket. It's really tacky

:wink:
Last edited by izzarina on Tue Jan 04, 2005 7:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Someday, everything is gonna be diff'rent
When I paint my masterpiece.
talasiga

Post by talasiga »

Nanohedron wrote:Advice #2:

Disregard Talasiga. Locked threads are instructive particularly to those who pursue the Path of Reasonableness.
Your comment is in the spirit of this topic. Thank you. However, I do disagree. Locked threads will be the quickest to disappear from the front page so it is unlikely that they will be read sufficiently to be instructional.
Last edited by talasiga on Tue Jan 04, 2005 7:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.
emmline

Post by emmline »

I read them voraciously. But then, maybe I need a bit of excitement in my life.
mvhplank
Please enter the next number in sequence: 12

Post by mvhplank »

Not really advice (more a can of worms)

Ya know, I love this place, and sneak too much time on it at work. But there often seems to be someone, sometimes several someones, who become insulting, rude, nasty, and even foul-mouthed. They start fights in the living room instead of taking it to the designated boxing ring.

You should be welcome to disagree, if you can use civil language and without stooping to insults either of person or of country of origin.

The moderators should consider putting repeat offenders on probation--their posts would not post automatically but would have to be sent through a moderator. And if the moderator didn't get around to checking on posts for a while--or the probationer gets mad and leaves--what have we really lost? Some noise and nonsense.

No, "freedom of speech" rights really don't apply here. This isn't a democracy, it's a benevolent dictatorship, but even benevolent dictators should enforce what rules they have--consistently, gently, and firmly.

M
Marguerite
Gettysburg
talasiga

Re: ADVISE DALE HERE

Post by talasiga »

emmline wrote:
talasiga wrote:Recently the Moderator, Dale, instigated this INSULT DALE HERE topic. This is one of many such topics commenced by Dale apparently in the spirit of inviting commentary on his actions as a moderator. I find this to be a rather demeaning avenue for feedback as it invites feedback in terms of the lowest common denominator.
Have you looked at the thread to which you refer? Are you perhaps taking it too seriously? Rhetorical question only...no argument required.
This is just my point - that thread CANNOT be taken seriously whereas this is the topic for serious feedback. If you like.

I think emmline if you look at at least half of my posts you will see I am not such a serious fellow. 8)
izzarina

Post by izzarina »

emmline wrote:I read them voraciously. But then, maybe I need a bit of excitement in my life.
Yes, don't we all :) I also tend to read them more than something that is unlocked. I had read the original post from jim stone about his flute, and since I was not interested in purchasing it, I didn't read further. It wasn't until Dale locked the thread that I actually read through it. Although, I don't see entirely how the thread was all that instructional, for it did seem to deteriorate into a bit of heated insulting. It's hard to glean anything "instructional" from these types of postings. I think that Dale was entirely correct in locking the thread. It's his board; he does what he feels to be the best thing.
Nanohedron
Moderatorer
Tell us something.: Been a fluter, citternist, and uilleann piper; committed now to the way of the harp.

Oh, yeah: also a mod here, not a spammer. A matter of opinion, perhaps.

Post by Nanohedron »

talasiga wrote:
Nanohedron wrote:Advice #2:

Your comment is in the spirit of this topic. Thank you. However, I do disagree. Locked threads will be the quickest to disappear from the front page so it is unlikely that they will be read sufficiently to be instructional.
Good point. Still, sooner or later yet another thread will get locked, and all for good reason, and another, and in time, another. We will never run out of roadkill to learn from.
talasiga

Post by talasiga »

izzarina wrote:
emmline wrote:I read them voraciously. But then, maybe I need a bit of excitement in my life.
Yes, don't we all :) I also tend to read them more than something that is unlocked. I had read the original post from jim stone about his flute, and since I was not interested in purchasing it, I didn't read further. It wasn't until Dale locked the thread that I actually read through it. Although, I don't see entirely how the thread was all that instructional, for it did seem to deteriorate into a bit of heated insulting. It's hard to glean anything "instructional" from these types of postings. I think that Dale was entirely correct in locking the thread. It's his board; he does what he feels to be the best thing.
He could have just as easily deleted or moved anything he considered objectionable and retained the topic unlocked. After all it's his board and he would have been perfectly entitled to do this if he so chose. See? :)
Last edited by talasiga on Tue Jan 04, 2005 7:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Jerry Freeman

Post by Jerry Freeman »

Advice to Dale:

Continue doing exactly what you're doing. It works fine. (And thank you for locking that thread.)

Best wishes,
Jerry
izzarina

Post by izzarina »

talasiga wrote:
izzarina wrote:
He could have just as easily deleted or moved anything he considered objectionable and retined the topic. After all it's his board and he would have been perfectly entitled to do this is he so chose. See? :)
Yes, I do see what you are saying, BUT (you saw that coming, didn't you? ;) ) I'm not sure that Dale has all the time in the world to just sit and delete each and every post that is objectionable. It's much easier to just lock the topic. Perhaps to rectify the problem of jim stone's topic being locked, Dale could have started a new thread ONLY about jim's flute. Does that make sense? Or am I just creating much more work for Dale, the one thing I have set out NOT to do? :lol:
talasiga

Post by talasiga »

Jerry Freeman wrote:Advice to Dale:

Continue doing exactly what you're doing. It works fine. (And thank you for locking that thread.)

Best wishes,
Jerry
Jerry, your advice to Dale is in the spirit of this topic. Even though I do not agree with you I appreciate your participation in this topic.