Goals for 2005, also year in review

The Ultimate On-Line Whistle Community. If you find one more ultimater, let us know.
BillChin
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Goals for 2005, also year in review

Post by BillChin »

It is that time. I am not big on New Year's resolutions. On the flip side, goals are a good thing and the new year is a good time to review the past year and set goals for new year. This being a whistle board, music related goals are on topic, but as always on Chiff, any thing is fair game. I'll post my own thoughts a little later.
+ Bill
Flyingcursor
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: This is the first sentence. This is the second of the recommended sentences intended to thwart spam its. This is a third, bonus sentence!

Post by Flyingcursor »

I haven't thought about the upcoming year yet.

BUT there were 1336 new users added to this board in 2004.
I'm no longer trying a new posting paradigm
izzarina

Post by izzarina »

I suppose that my biggest goal is to really get serious about practicing my whistle. I tend to go in spurts and therefore don't get anywhere. Learning jigs is a BIG goal for me as I have avoided them for the most part.
Oh, and right up there is hitting 1000 :D
Someday, everything is gonna be diff'rent
When I paint my masterpiece.
chas
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Post by chas »

My goal that I have no control over is to have a lesson or two with a very well-known Baltimore flute player and teacher.

Those that I have control over:

Learn every cut from one of Jack Coen's albums
Learn more reels
Become worthy of some of my flutes
Play like Chris Norman, Deirdre Havlin, or Jack Coen

Actually, I don't have much control over the last, but, hey, it gives me something to strive for.
Charlie
Whorfin Woods
"Our work puts heavy metal where it belongs -- as a music genre and not a pollutant in drinking water." -- Prof Ali Miserez.
Charlene

Post by Charlene »

Music related:
(Practical)
Practice my whistle every day.
(Wishful thinking)
See my favorite musician wherever and whenever he's performing.

Non music related:
Get a job I can stand so we can
(a) Pay off the credit cards
(b) Afford our health insurance
(c) Save up for another car
(d) Actually take a family vacation this year
Lose at least 10 pounds.
Not gripe too much about my husband watching every reality TV show on the air (as long as he quits griping about how much time I spend on line :lol: )
Chuck_Clark

Post by Chuck_Clark »

I've decided not to commit myself to likely (or unlikely) changes in 2005. Instead, I want to enjoy the year as it comes and not make demands upon it, myself or others to improve.

This (2004) was not the worst year of my life, but it certainly falls into the worst three. Whatever comes could only be a little worse and will likely be much better. That is enough.
Its Winter - Gotta learn to play the blues
BillChin

Post by BillChin »

For 2005, I can easily drift into spiritual mumbo jumbo about my non-music related goals, but I'll spare the readers. Some of my musical goals: I am going to learn to play faster on the whistle, sing more in tune, continue writing songs, especially more dance tunes. I would love to learn how to use the whistle as a harmony instrument (think jazz). I know one musician who plays trumpet. He is able to blend in over the melody and play over and around it. His trumpet playing always memsmerizes me, so I would like to be able to do similar with whistles.

Looking back, 2004 was a very productive musical year for me. Second guessers, might say I started this thread to brag, but that would be on a subconscious level. Only after thinking about it, did I realize what a productive year 2004 was. I wrote a bunch of new songs, some that might even be considered dance tunes. I continued to perform solo for small audiences at various venues. I joined my church's new choir. I am learning to sing closer to pitch (won't say on key because I ain't), but I am getting closer :oops: I bought several new whistles, mostly used from other group members.

Somethings I have decided against:
* music theory - I used to think I would like to learn more music theory, but what little I have looked at tends to make my eyes glaze over. I have decided not to worry about theory and such and focus on actions or small exercises that I can do (and I enjoy doing) to improve and develop.
* ITM and ornaments - I used to think I would like to learn more tradtional tunes and more technique in terms of ornaments, but dabblling in those areas has not kindled any flames so I have decided to order some other flavor of tea.
* whistles - I don't plan on buying any more whistles, what with about five new ones in 2004. I may have reach the point of diminishing returns where acquring a new whistle adds little or nothing to my musicianship. I'm better off practicing on the workhorses for performance, rather than adding more new ones.
+ Bill
emmline

Post by emmline »

I can't. Make goals or resolutions, that is. I'm in too transitional a life-phase at present, and to try to do anything but endure the emotional unsettledness of it all would be absurd.
I hope I will finish a manuscript I'm working on, and accept the ridiculous travesty of submitting it without the usual sense of vulnerability.
And, I hope, that by the time '06 comes knocking, I'll have an inkling as to what the next stage of life might be about.

edit: While this sentiment is real, it was felt more strongly under the influence of New Year's Eve bubbly--I'm not in a funk, really. But no resolutions.
Last edited by emmline on Sat Jan 01, 2005 7:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.
cowtime

Post by cowtime »

I make no goals or resolutions other than to keep on keepin' on. I enjoy playing whistle, but it always has to take a backseat to organ and piano. Still, I do strive to always try to improve on whistle. I hope to get some more practice in on pipes, but that takes a backseat to whistle. Then there's the drumming...... oh, and that real irritant and time consumer-work. Plus, the grandaughter will, as always, be the light of my life.

Em, it sounds like things are in somewhat of a turmoil. Been there, heck, I'm always there..... endure......just when things look blackest, the sun peeks through. That's why my resolution is to keep on keepin' on.
"Let low-country intruder approach a cove
And eyes as gray as icicle fangs measure stranger
For size, honesty, and intent."
John Foster West
BillChin

Post by BillChin »

It sounds like there are many people who are uncertain about what to do next, or what they would like, both in terms of music and in life. In the whistle world goals might be simple, such as I would like to buy an xyz brand whistle in 2005, play three or more hours a week, and learn to play x number of songs including xx jigs, yy airs, and focus on making my rolls cleaner and crisper. Another example might be, I want to play at my local session or start one, and learn ten session tunes well enough to lead them.

As for life, I am still in the middle of what seems to be an interminable transition period. I used to volunteer at the local job center and help job seekers. Some were recently laid off, some had been out of work for a year or two (or three). The majority knew what job they would like next, some did not. For many, it was a difficult time emotionally and financially. What sticks in my mind is two things I would try to impart on each job seeker: "make good use of your time," and "what is your ideal job?"

For those looking at a life transition, whether it be divorce, illness, job loss, the frame might focus on "what do you want your life to look like?" and again, "make good use of your time." There is no right or wrong answer to either question, and I encourage people to "blue sky it," or open it up to anything and everything no matter how impractical, no matter what the medical diagnosis or the financial situation. The conscious mind will prune fast enough. The subconscious mind will do the work--if a person makes the decision. I truly believe that. Another useful question to ask is "what are my options?" I find it useful to focus on what I can do, rather than what I would like other people (or entities) to do. I control the effort, and endorse for that, the outcomes will speak for themselves.

As always, accept or reject my comments.
+ Bill
emmline

Post by emmline »

BillChin wrote: As always, accept or reject my comments.
+ Bill
Well Bill, whichever I do, I always like your comments!
toughknot

Post by toughknot »

Personal resolutions R/T Chiff & Fipple for 2005
1 To stop posting OT posts
2 To stop reading OT posts

:D

I won't be able to keep the second as I would miss out on all the great links etc. I will diligently try to keep the first and I must say I am unanimous in this decision.
I shall never bitter be so long as I can laugh at me.
RonKiley

Post by RonKiley »

Goals

1. Get up and be doing everyday.
2. Try to do something for others every day.
3. Learn ornamentation.
4. Learn some jigs and reels.
5. Get down to 180 pounds.
5. Cholesterol below 140

Ron
I've never met a whistle I didn't want.
chas
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Post by chas »

RonKiley wrote:Goals

1. Get up and be doing everyday.
This morning, I watched a documentary on the making of "A Band of Gypsies." There was a clip of Hendricks on the Dick Cavett show. Cavett asks him, "So do you consider yourself disciplined? Do you get up every day and make music?" Hendrix replies, "I try to get up every day." The way he said it was hilarious.
Charlie
Whorfin Woods
"Our work puts heavy metal where it belongs -- as a music genre and not a pollutant in drinking water." -- Prof Ali Miserez.
The Weekenders

Post by The Weekenders »

My resolution is to de-tox from the candy and likker from the last three weeks. The candy came flooding into my workplace where its the hardest to avoid. Even the office sweetooths could not consume it fast enough to keep me from it. It would be nice to see my toes again.
How do you prepare for the end of the world?