.4K - A Season to Be Brief: WE HAVA A WINNER

The Ultimate On-Line Whistle Community. If you find one more ultimater, let us know.

What's the best short piece of prose?

Poll ended at Wed Dec 08, 2004 12:55 am

Cloven
9%
Annie's Baby
9%
Got a Cigarette?
2%
Zany Granddaughter
26%
Cautious Captain
23%
The Associate
2%
Blueberry Summer
7%
Sarah shuffles through fallen leaves...
7%
Our Song
9%
Dissolution
5%

Total votes: 43

Bloomfield
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8

.4K - A Season to Be Brief: WE HAVA A WINNER

Post by Bloomfield »

Here are the finalists. Post with the runner-ups and Special Mentions follow.

It was hard to judge and all the entries were very good (well, almost all ;) ).

Thanks for writing, for reading, and for making this so much fun.

See page 3 for the Winners.

Competition is closed. Please don't vote anymore.

--------------

Cloven

I was birthed by a shriek from the throat of Betty Crockmeyer--a shriek which rattled Heaven’s cellar doors and sent me sprawling into the baptismal pool.

I surfaced, spluttered, and stared. The startled congregants at Evertrue Nondenominational’s Sunday night revival stared back in stunned silence.

“What?” I asked. “It’s an exorcism. What were you expecting? A puppy? A cherub?”

Betty Crockmeyer was almost blubbering. The Reverend Mr. Hubbard stammered a few times before blurting out “Go ye...go ye,” while jabbing a finger in the direction of a caged pig.

“Fine,” I said, “I’m going.” I unlatched the door of the pen. The pink and brown-spotted potbelly trotted behind me to the devotional rack by the narthex.

I wanted to calm Hubbard down somehow. He looked ready to pop an artery.

“Just chill,” I said in what I hoped was a soothing tone. “I’m not going to live in the pig. Though it’d be better than Betty and her daily shots of ouzo.”

“That was for my vertigo!” protested Betty.

“Still,” I said, “if I even smell licorice again, I’ll puke.”

I’m pretty sure the pig winked at me before trotting into the woods.

I hitched a ride into town with a couple of college kids weaving their way back from a bonfire. They smelled like beer and burnt leaves, but thankfully not ouzo.

“Cool hair,” said the guy, who seemed a bit more impaired than his girlfriend who was at the wheel.

“Thanks,” I said. “I’m looking for work. Anyone hiring on campus?”

“Ask at the coffee shop,” said the girl. “My friend Sage is assistant manager.”

Within a day I had a job. Within a week I could make soy lattés as foamy as cow lattés, and within a month I had dreadlocks like the rest of the staff. But no shoes. You can’t wear Birkenstocks when your feet are cloven.

---------------------------

Annie's Baby

Annie’s baby was due in just a few weeks. She’d sent a message that it was almost time, but still he didn’t come home. She always thought after the first baby he’d want to be with them. That’s where he should be. The small farm was too much for a woman with babies and she was worn out. Her underwear and long dress clung to her sweaty body in the summer heat as she bent over the black stove, stirring soup. She wondered how much more she could do–how long she could keep the chores done and the children cared for by herself. He said he had to work in the mine, that it was the only way they could get by. But it was never enough. Surely the farm would be a better bet. But that wasn’t it and she knew it. Would he ever be able to cure the restlessness that kept him from her side?

She straightened up and stepped to the door to look for the children. The sickly cottonwood tree she’d planted three years before didn’t give off enough shade for a nice place for them to play, but they were sitting on the ground beneath its low branches, playing with one of the pups. The dirt road sent up a cloud of dust as a wagon and team passed.

Day after day she’d worked and waited. Would he be gone again when this one was born? He’d been gone every time–she’d always been alone. Two years before, he came down the road a week after the last one was born. He was pushing a baby carriage. He’d walked 300 miles pushing it for her. She guessed that should have been enough, but it wasn’t. She needed him with her.

Maybe this time. Maybe this time he’d stay. Maybe they could be a real family together.

Annie turned back to the kitchen to finish the dinner.

------------------------------------

Got a Cigarette?

“Sir! Sir! Got a cigarette?”

Jack turned and oriented his eyes to the fellow he had just passed by a few yards already. What was up with that, the delayed-reaction panhandle? Jack always knew when a passerby was a candidate to give him the pitch; he could see it every time, even from a couple of blocks away. Still, he never got used to having people beg while addressing his receding back. It was just plain creepy. Jack took in the figure and decided to give the fellow a smoke.

“Got a light?”

“Sure; here you go, then.”

“Thank you, sir. Thank you.”

“No problem.”

Jack turned to go on his way, and heard the fellow spit.

---------------------------------

Zany Granddaughter

"Where's Aislyn?", I asked, walking into the living room.
My wife, Sue, reclined in her recliner, cross-stitching yet another pattern I hadn't seen before replied, "She's in her room. She's in trouble."

We had our four-year-old granddaughter over that evening and I had failed to receive my usual enthusiastic greeting.

"What'd she do?", I asked, setting my briefcase behind the other recliner. I hoped Aislyn wasn't in a grumpy mood. She's usually so full of jokes and laughter.

My wife raised an eyebrow indignantly and declared, "She called me a leptocardian when I told her she couldn't have a cookie until after dinner."

"What?"
"That's what she said."
"Did you explain it to her?" I was truly concerned now. "Where did she hear it?"
Sue, still sewing, mused, "Probably from some of those shows her mom lets her watch."

I scowled and shook my head. "They don't use words over two syllables on Television. Nope, she got it from home. This is an inside job."

"Well I wish you'd have a talk with Renee because Aislyn's getting confused."

"I'm not interfering in Renee's motherly affairs, though I wish she'd concentrate harder. She called the pine tree out front a magnoliopsida the other day. I said to her, 'Renee, do you see flowers?'"

Sue shook her head. Renee, the oldest of three, had always been rebellious.

At that point I heard the thump of four a year old’s footsteps and Aislyn sulked in from the hallway, scowling, with her arms folded across her chest.

"Hi Aisy!" I said with a grin. She's the rosaceae of her Grandpa's eye.

"Gramma yelled at me." she pouted, looking at Sue accusingly.

I scooped her up and we sat in my chair.

"You know why Grandma punished you don't you?"

No answer.

"Common. Tell me."

After a reluctant pause she said, "I called her a name."

"That's right. You know grandma isn't a leptocardian don't you?"

Aislyn nodded, wrapping me around her phalange with her pitiable expression.

"O.K. What does grandma have?" I asked.
"Jaws." Aislyn replied, albeit with hesitation.
"That's right, and that means she's a gnathostomata doesn't it?"

She glanced up beneath her wrinkled brows and with a mischievous smile, blurted, "No Grampa, she's a marsipobranch!"

Sue rolled her eyes in amusement while Asylin and I laughed out loud.

I love a kid with a sense of humor.

----------------------------------

The Cautious Captain

In a variegated flock jabbering like wild parrots the kids roamed the island. The locals' raucous patois mingled with the French, English, Dutch, Arabic of the children of doctors, executives, expatriates, escaping from Northern winter or to Caribbean isolation.

Little freckled Jen and quiet Davey were the new ones. He’d not said a word but Jen saw it clearly: Her big brother was in love with Angelique, a long-boned, green-eyed Lebanese-French girl who lived in a mountaintop mansion. Her slightly-Oriental eyes seemed to mock him when she looked his way, which was seldom…pale gangly Davey with his thick tortoiseshell glasses.

On the western shore, well off the tourist maps, a wrecked freighter lay careened and rusting in the sand. The locals called it the “Cautious Captain; ” its skipper had hove too close to shore in a hurricane. This day the ship had a new and noisy crew; they swarmed up the flaking hull, clattered up rickety companionways to the main deck, and looked down to a turquoise pool, filled then emptied by saltating surf.

The game required skillful timing: Jump too soon or late, you’d hit sand and bones would break. Leap up and out on the right moment, though, and you got a heart-stopping long fall into azure and a glorious cannonball splash.

Angelique jumped first, running lightly to the gunwale, wavering to gauge the tide, then springing up and out with a whoop. Davey hung back, but Jen jostled into line to dive. She knew Davey would never do it—it was so far down, he was scared of heights, and too abashed by his scrawny whiteness to even take off his T-shirt.

Thinking about how to keep her brother from tattling on her, Jen climbed back up to jump again. Giggling, a little girl pointed: “Deh, Jen, yu brudder! He mek fe jump!” Heat from the metal deck seared her bare soles but she stared heedless, transfixed. Davey, glasses off and squinting like a mole, had clambered onto the gunwale. He teetered.

Angelique, below him at the rail; Jen thought she saw a fleeting moue--or was it a somewhat-smile? Davey turned; swayed irrevocably forward. A yell tore from his throat. Jen bit her lip—she knew he was virtually blind, could not see the water level. He flung up his arms. On his face only pure, soaring joy. And he jumped.

--------------------------------------

The Associate

She’s late. No matter: Hedy is a travesty at any hour; half silicone, half collagen, all absurd, even by Palm Beach standards. She totters in on Louis Jourdan stilettos, redolent of designer musk. I regard the sludge in my coffee cup with inchoate nausea. Our secretary, who drinks only herbal tea and believes caffeine is an abomination before God, prepares a pot of java so foully execrable that we’ve actually lost clients because of it.

Hedy perches sideways in the client chair. “You must sue the police at once,” she commands, flinging a doctor’s bill at me. Last night she’d been arrested and rudely flung into a squalid holding cell, simply because she got a little tipsy, draped herself over the piano at the Leopard Lounge, and refused to leave. “I wasn’t sleeping there, I just wanted to sing a little.” Her grotesquely over-collagened lips writhe like two freshly salted slugs as she explains in her faux-French accent how her rights had been violated and her left buttock implant punctured. I hope desperately that she doesn’t plan to show me the drooping corpus delicti. She stands and begins to turn around. I sink into despair.

Hapless Harold, senior partner and captain of this ship of fools, cannily transfers a phone call. It’s Tiffy’s daily demand for her settlement check. From Tiffy I’ve learned that timing is everything: She married an ancient dogtrack tycoon for better, for worse, and for a 7-digit figure in the prenup; six dutiful months later he graciously died. The tycoon’s outraged family settled with her for $450,000 after a brief but intense court scuffle. Tiffy confided in me that she’d done the deed with the dear departed five times during those six months, which I’d quickly calculated amounted to $90,000 per boff. Nice work, if you can get it.

“Goddammit…need that money right now…redecorating… penthouse…” Her distant whine shrieks tinnily from the receiver, which I’ve set down on the desk. I’m busy looking out the window. Thirteen floors below, the August sun mercilessly flays sweating pedestrians on the streets of gold, roasting rich and poor alike. A friend told me yesterday about a firm in Boca looking for someone to do criminal work: Armed robbers, drug dealers, violent sociopaths, like that. Sounds pleasant. I kick off my loafers, suddenly indifferent to the consequences of the effluvium from my socks, and reach for the phone.

Blueberry Summer

Liz used to love the summertime. Every year, she and her brother, and Mom—sometimes even Dad, would make the annual trip, packing the car so tight there was barely enough room to sit. But they endured the 12-hour drive without complaint, for at the end of the journey, Grandmother would be waiting with a fresh blueberry cobbler. It wasn't bought in any store, it was never made with canned blueberries, or even berries that had been sitting too long in a delivery truck. No, these berries were always very fresh... Grandmother kept 5 bushes in her yard, and always used them to make her cobblers.

Every year, that cobbler would be just about ready to come out of the oven when they arrived. And by the time everyone got unpacked, washed up, and settled in, they could sit down to enjoy the cobbler. Grandfather would often pretend he didn't want any, but truth is, blueberries were his favorite, and he'd always sneak a bite when he thought no one was looking.

It's been 4 years since they had a blueberry summer like that. When Grandfather fell ill, and had to be on a diet which included NO sweets--not even a secret slice of cobbler, Grandmother stopped making the cobbler so he would be forced to follow doctor's orders. Even her granddaughters' pleas to be taught how to make it couldn't sway the old lady to make another batch. A tattered, hand-written note was produced and entrusted to the young lady's care. But it wasn't the same as having Grandmother's cobbler.

Then 2 summers ago, Liz became a young woman when she got married. That ended the annual trip for her, as her new husband did not like to travel as much as she. And they never seemed to have the money she would need to pay her own way for the once-annual trip, since her place in the car had been taken over with things that Grandmother insisted she no longer needs.

Last summer, Grandfather passed away, but that didn't bring a return of the blueberry summers they once enjoyed. Grandmother later sold the house she'd shared with him for 50 years, moved to a smaller one, and didn't take the blueberries with her.

Maybe Liz will be able to enjoy summertime again, but it will never compare to one of those blueberry summers.

--------------------------

Sarah shuffles through fallen leaves of orange and gold, keeping to the foot-worn path from the house. She kicks at a baseball peeking through grass that's a week overlong, and stops under the sugar maple, whose red canopy gives her a ruddy cast against her black dress. She sits on the home-made swing and stares into the pond, trying to see past the shimmering surface to the rock hiding in the murky bottom, where, she imagines, she could still find traces of blond hair and blood, if she were to wade in and plunge her face into the cool water to look.

She feels the board beneath her, worn smooth from years of boys and weather, and it seems to cradle her. She grasp the ropes and closes her eyes and imagines motion. She imagines swinging in ever-increasing arcs without pumping, like the swing misses its master and wants only to play again. She imagines it takes her higher and higher, that it seems to hold her—almost clench her—as if to show her it was a fluke, an accident it couldn't possibly have made. She can almost imagine it weeping, with an ache that comes from the very roots of the tree itself. An ache that's exceeded only by her own.

She opens her eyes and the motion stops. The wind has paused and the pond is still and whole world seems to have taken a breath. She tries to keep from replaying it, the calling out into the evening air for dinner, the failure to answer, the walk around the house, then finally to the swing, then the image, the awful image, of a body floating at the edge of the pond.

She remembers thinking that the water was sucking away his life, that somehow she could make the pond return it to him, if only she had the means to wrest it back. But today they buried him and she realizes the pond will have no change of heart.

There is a brief motion in the water. She imagines it was a heartbeat and waits for another. A tear falls to her cheek, and a leaf drops beside her. Then the tree starts to shake in the stillness, and leaf after leaf swirls to the ground until the tree is bare, like a raw nerve jutting into the sky hoping never to stop the feeling.

Our Song

"Grandma, Grand-dad, what's with this ‘Autumn Mountain Met' tune?"
<pre>
"Well children it happened like this. 10 years ago..."
"Fifteen"
"I was walkin' along thinkin', ‘Smells clean up here along the trail;
this little hike should be just the thing to ...'"
"Hello Jonathan"
"Hel--lo Reee-becca, 40 years and you're still a sight to behold, a .."
"Jon"
"Yeah "
"Tree."
"AAuugh!"
"Still have trouble walking and talking, I see"
"Only with you, Becca, and always with you."
"What've you been doin' with your life these past decades"
"Lots ... and yet"
"Regrets?"
"Lots. Each of my kids, I envision with your hair, your eyes,
for rest assured they have your sense of the absurd.
Gone to their own families now. You?"
"Absurd?"
"Us together, that was absurd."
"Jon, that's not you talking."
"No, families, your side, my side; all tellin' us daily or weekly..
Hah, or even hourly, when they were on a roll... But always telling us."
"Yeah, we were to good to be true, high school sweethearts,
a connection between opposites, that they couldn't fathom."

"And you, Becca?"
"What?"
"Regrets?"
"Hmm, not for anything I have. Kids, memories of their father,
career, friends, all good. But still ... yes, regrets
for what might have been. We'd have set the world alight.
Wouldn't we have?"

"Yep, a real fire storm."
"Jon, kids but no wedding ring?"
"She past year before last"
"My Tom's been gone nearly a decade."

"And we walked and talked ..."
"And ran in to trees"
"Ahem, well... yeah, well we hiked down the ridge...
"And back"
"Until my Becca stops and says"
"Jon, mayhaps the world needs a light"
"A bon fire?"
"A Fire Storm"
"Ours?"
"If that's a proposal, I do"

"And a lady"
"up Chicago way"
" wrote this tune"
"That put us to mind"
"Of ten years ago"
"fifteen"
"And our walk in the wood".
"We thought about renaming the tune"
"To the Grand Children"
"Of The Absurd"
"But, "
"Autumn"
"Mountain"
"Met"
"Will "
"Do."</pre>

-----------------------------------

Dissolution

“Should we mention sex?”

“Or not,” she said. “I don’t care.”

“Neither do I, it’s just....” I was mumbling and sounding apologetic. Jesus, assert yourself, I thought. Nora was mostly responsible for this anyway.

“We need to be on the same page.”

She turned in her seat, looked at me squarely: “I don’t care.”

Nora stared, but I didn’t take my eyes off the road. Not letting her bully me into making eye contact and thereby acknowledging the gravity, the finality of her remark was a small moral victory.

“Whatever,” she huffed, turning away and looking out her window. “This is stupid ... pointless.”

“But this was your suggestion,” I shot back.

“Jesus, Daniel.”

Not that you’d know it, but Nora’s very articulate. And it comes naturally. Not so with me. As Nora has rightly pointed out—more than once and not always privately—my speech is affected. I too often use what she calls “five-dollar words,” words like affected. But sometimes those words are right on the money: affected aptly described our relationship.

We’d been dating for nearly two years ... and we’d bottomed out. Sometimes you reach a point where you know you won’t (and don’t want to) spend your lives together. Yet you feel duty bound to try to salvage the relationship.

Nora had suggested couples therapy, and driving to Dr. Miller’s office while discussing—or, not discussing—what aspects of our lives should be off limits, I realized her suggestion might have been as half-hearted as my agreement. Maybe all you can salvage is the situation, and maybe that’s enough.

“I’m sorry, I can’t do this,” I said, making a sudden, sharp right off 1st Avenue and heading down toward the waterfront. She sat silently.

“Fine,” she said at last. “Fine. If you want to give up, I guess there’s nothing I can do.”

“No, there’s not.”

Turning my head toward her slightly, I glimpsed a look of real tenderness—the first in a long while.

“Fine,” she said.

----------------------------
Last edited by Bloomfield on Tue Dec 07, 2004 8:47 am, edited 1 time in total.
/Bloomfield
Bloomfield

Post by Bloomfield »

There were some entries I would have liked to make finalists, if I could have had more then ten. Here are these runner-ups:

----------------------------------

Taking the P...

John liked trees. He was absolutely certain that trees liked him too. He was even more certain they liked him when he was hugging one, especially one of those slender silver birches that grew on the hill. His terrier Jack like trees too, especially when he was dribbling on one.

Today, as he hugged one of his favourite trees, John couldn't get the thought of toilet seats out of his mind. They were wooden toilet seats of course, not the sleek modern white ones, nor the old dark Bakelite ones, simply wooden ones - pine ones, teak ones, and even blue painted ones. What they also had in common was that the seats were down but the lids were up. He wondered whether the silver birch was hinting that from her perspective there might be more to the Feng Shui of open toilet lids than he'd allowed. He'd always scoffed at the concept of money pouring down an open toilet.

John pulled his kaftan straight under his Arran sweater and hugged the birch more closely, allowing his cheek to rest against the damp bark. He remembered his mother instructing him to lift the toilet seat before relieving himself. He remembered female flat-mates moaning about the seat being left up. He considered the injustice of being born male and having to decide at crucial moments whether to approach the toilet forwards or backwards and to raise the whole seat or just the lid as appropriate.

'This is the best thing about living in a forest commune', he said to Jack, 'being able to commune with nature and gain insight into the mysteries of the universe'. Jack cocked his head on one side, stared quizzically, then turned and trotted off to water a particularly fine oak.

-------------------------

Condemned house

Single story rambling house, one car garage attached. White paint pealing, chips dropping on the brown grass and weeds. You can see on the roof where the shingles are coming up and water gets in the house, all that dam mold growing in the attic, never could get rid of it completely.

What a run down place, the walk way is still broken where billy tried to jump off the roof on his bicycle. Never knew a crazier kid, makes it worse he is my own son. Broke both his legs that day, but did that stop him? As soon as the casts were off he was out racing around again. Always looking for adventure. I knew when the war came he would go, knew he would look for danger and glory. My wife, Mary, believed he would come back, so did the rest of the family. We were all took it pretty hard when that flag was delivered. Anne, my daughter, especially. There was a part of me that knew that I wouldn’t see him again. Too much of a thrill seeker, but a man has to be true to him self, and bill was.

Anne still visits his grave on remembrance day, takes him a wreath of poppies. I used to go, but it’s hard now that I’m in the chair. She says it’s no problem, but I know it’s hard for her to see me like this. She was always so sensitive. When she was a little girl, everyday when I would get home from work, she would come running down the walk, and with a squealing cry of “Daddy!” would throw her arms around me. That made everyday worth it. She seemed to know when I had a rough day, and would squeeze extra tight, maybe I just needed a hug more those days.

Up in the doorway would be Mary, she was a vision. That first kiss from her when I got home was better then all the money in the world. God I miss her. I’m going to miss this place. What did they say they were going to build on it? A book store?...

... I hope who ever works there has a little house of there own, a place to fill with memories...

... lets go back to the home, it’s starting to get chilly out here.

---------------------------

blueberries

The water was the kind of blue-green that swimming pools are supposed to look like, and when they swam to check the anchor a small school of yellow-tailed minnows darted here and there before giving them a cautious, unblinking welcome. Back aboard, the summer breeze brought goosebumped exhilaration, and then a tingle as tiny salt crystals glazed each hair.

Crosslegged, they shared breakfast. As he savored the salmon and felt, more than tasted, the champagne, his jaw tensed and then relaxed… flavor made three-dimensional. The chilled caviar’s zest played counterpoint to the musky Camembert. A single black roe grain fell from the corner of her mouth and traced the pale blue filigree of her skin, translucent in the sunlight.

It was good caviar.

Brown-sugar-dusted blueberries patiently made their purple gravy and longed for heavy cream.

It was good caviar.

They had the blueberries another day.

--------------------------------

Kookamonga

He tucked her in, brushed the hair away from her face, kissed her cheek, and said, “2 a.m. Kookamonga. I’ll be here.” She smiled through her sleepiness. “I can do it, daddy. I know I can.” He gave her another kiss, turned the light off, and stood at the door watching sleep overtake her, aching with his own tiredness. For weeks now he had not been sleeping well; the harder he tried, the worse it got. So when he saw a chance to actually be useful in the middle of the night—a reason to stay awake—he seized it.

“She asleep?” his wife asked, as she loaded the last few dishes into the dishwasher. “Out like a light,” he said. He hesitated, but then, standing behind her, he put his arms around her waist and drew her to him gently and kissed the back of her neck. She stiffened slightly. “You know I have an early meeting, sweetie.” “I know, Julie,” he said. “It’s okay.” She turned around and smiled at him. “Try to get some sleep,” she said. “You could set the alarm to make sure you wake Rosie.” “Naw, that’s okay. I’ll just stay awake.”

The night deepened. He sat in the living room, his thoughts looping restlessly, tightening their hold as the hours passed: the clients, that twinge in his chest, Kathryn’s fragrance when she enters his office, her hair. But at 2 he got up and went into Rosie’s room. He leaned over and whispered their code in her ear, “Kookamonga!” Her eyes struggled to open. He lifted the cover and felt the sheet: wet and warm. Rosie turned away from him and started to cry. “I didn’t mean to, I’m sorry.” “It’s okay, Rosie. We’ll try earlier tomorrow. Let’s get you some dry sheets now.”

After the cleanup, Rosie asked if he would hold her until she got sleepy again. So he sat with her, in the dark living room, his arms surrounding her small thin body, her head against his chest. “You still love me?” Whether or not he remembered hearing them himself, the words came easily to him: “Rosie, there’s nothing you can ever do that would make me stop loving you, ever.” He could feel her relax, and then hear her soft rhythmic breathing. He rested his head on hers, took a long deep breath, and slept.

----------------------------

Just A Minute

The clock read a minute ‘til midnight.

Gideon felt tired, empty. He pulled up off the floor where he’d knelt searching for answers, collapsing into the comforter on the couch, hoping sleep would overtake him before he thought too much.

Drifting, drifting... then dust filled his nostrils. Dust? He felt as though he were walking, compelled to even, but how could that be? A woman’s scream brought him to his senses with a jerk.

Before him lay a vast riverbed, the banks just shadows in the distance through a dirty orange haze. People, countless thousands it seemed, were streaming in the same direction he was. Chains... chains around their ankles, wrists or both; chains weighting necks, waists... even trailing through the dust behind. Ghastly wails rose from the crowd, interspersed with cursing and shouting.

Yet some had no chains. These paused to talk with those along the way, trying to give encouragement and comfort but they were unable to loosen the fetters of those around them. To his horror, Gideon had his own chains, binding hand and foot, icy metal cutting painfully into his flesh as he shuffled along.

For what seemed like hours he struggled in confusion through the choking wasteland, praying for relief. Why and how he had come to be there, he didn’t know, only that he had to keep moving forward.

An earsplitting howl of laughter pierced the air. A trim, well dressed man strolled downstream, mocking and tormenting those along his path. He almost passed Gideon, but suddenly he turned, pausing in consideration.

“You”, he purred. “Ah yes... I remember you. Gideon. I knew all your weaknesses before you even remember yourself. I know you reeeeally well.”

Gideon’s blood ran cold, his heart pounded in his ears as the man stepped closer. Frozen in place, he couldn’t see anything but those eyes; two dreadful, inky black pools which pierced his very core.

He was repulsed by the hot breath on his neck as the man leaned forward, hissing into his ear: “You know, you can take those things off anytime you want to.”

“But you won’t... you won’t!” he cackled loudly, reeling away into the dusty haze.

Gideon bolted awake... actually astonished to find himself back on his couch. Trembling, he flipped the comforter away from his face and checked the time.

The clock read a minute ‘til midnight.

The Cracked 'ambudu

Joachin and Ilsa sat glumly regarding the shards spelling the end of life as they knew it. Were it dinner or a favored vase on the floor, they both would've been cheerfully rationalizing "at least it wasn't me!" But this was Great-grand's 'ambudu, and it would never sing again, unless as bits of a wind chime, or briefly, crackling in the stove.

Gramma stumped in, cane matching hard heels' raps. She just stared morosely, slumped, and more slowly stumped back down the hall.

Ilsa thought "Never again, she and Gramp, 'n Tante Mizzi, 'n Spinster Anna, playing the Reply, on Remembrance night." Joachin replied "Right. It won't be the same." She must've spoken aloud, or else her heavy thoughts were just obvious. No more the four oldsters driving the bass line at village dances. No more near-subsonic melody when the men marched off to militia drills.

Siiiiigh.

"What you twerps mopin' over now!?"

It was Gramp's normal cheery bellow, hearty throat at odds with rheumy eyes. Pointing, Ilsa trembled "It's busted, Gramp! 'Nuncle Roja dropped and broke it!"

Gozpadj the senior bent down to peer at the dozen-plus fragments, straightened as much as ever he did, and barked down the hall "Ro', get in here you bumble!"

The twins' 'nuncle edged into the room. "Yeah, da, it were me. I'm really sorr--"

"What fer, six-thumbs!?" Gramp roared amiably. "Thing's older'n me, 'course it's fragile!"

"Was fragile, Gramp", Joachin quietly spoke up. "It's done now."

"NAAH! Busted up, but so was I, in the war, 'n lookit me now!" The patiarch stood almost straight, and thumped his chest. And coughed, a little.

"Ilsey, weren't you 'n Joey wishin' to get in on the music, without me 'n Gram having to die off? Here's your chance, and that pack of jackal pups you run with!"

Hope peeked out of Ilsa's brown eyes. "What've Jiko and Ronna and Kay to do with it, Gramp? It's splinters!"

"Never mind. Just you go get the pack of 'em, 'n Ro, you run get your Mum's sewing box..."

The twins bolted.

Saturday night the village 'ambudu crew was nine instead of four. The brittle bamboo three-meter serpentine now was bound with cords, twisted tight by small, willing hands. Fiddle, flute, and reborn 'ambudu -- and Ilsa's left hand uncovering the remaining crack just so, providing Goulash Reel's g-sharp. Better'n before!

Blueberry Pancakes

Yummy...blueberry pancakes. My dad set the plate of hot, steaming, blueberry pancakes on the table in front of me. This was a specialty he made twice a year. I hunched over and started eating with sheer pleasure. Blueberry pancakes swimming in maple syrup and butter. As my fork pressed down on the pancake, a mixture of syrup and butter oozed to the surface and shimmered iridescently.

I stared at the blueberries nestled in the pancake. Blue juice spread outward from each berry, making it look like a tiny blue planet haloed in a soft blue light, surrounded by the little pockmarks left by the popped bubbles that a properly cooked pancake will have on the surface. It was a miniature solar system, multiple blue planets floating in front of a mottled, golden-brown sun. I became lost, completely absorbed in the island universe floating on my plate. My mind expanded beyond the boundaries of our little kitchen.

The clatter of my brother's fork on the table jolted me out of this reverie, and I returned to the moment, my eyes lingering on the color of the blueberries. The blue was a natural blue, of course, unlike FD&C Blue #1, which would later be banned by the FDA for causing cancer in laboratory rats, and nothing like the currently popular FD&C Blue #43, or any of the artificial blue colorings in between #1 and #43. It was a real blue.

My mind was free of any thoughts, though, as it hadn't been filled yet with the useless trivia of the adult mind, and I simply enjoyed the blueness, and the stickiness, and the sweet, oily sensation as I bit into each piece of pancake, releasing the maple syrup and butter mixture into my mouth and the sweet aroma into my nose. It was a moment to be treasured.

A year later, on Easter Sunday, in a hot, muggy church full of hundreds of people dressed in their finest, I vomited blueberry pancakes all over the pew, triggering a sympathetic reaction in my brother, who vomited his blueberry pancakes on the floor. My embarrassed mother, head down, led us out of the church.

I never ate blueberry pancakes again. A beautiful piece of my childhood was lost forever.
Last edited by Bloomfield on Fri Dec 03, 2004 1:36 am, edited 2 times in total.
/Bloomfield
Bloomfield

Post by Bloomfield »

And here are some entries that deserve special and particular mention:

--------------------------

Best Rest Home Story

Arty Conover

Arty Conover pulled a lone chair away from the fireplace, and pushed it under table 5. He gave the dining room a satisfied nod and shuffled back into the kitchen with his carpet sweeper.

Cleaning up after the old folks, that’s what he did. After they all went to bed. He pulled a torn napkin and a bit of blue yarn out of the sweeper’s head, then wheeled it into the closet.

Yep. Arty kept it clean all right. He spotted a dried up noodle on the stainless steel counter, and gave it a quick scrub, wincing as his finger joints burned with arthritis. Then he wrung out the dishrag and shuffled back to the dining room to give the tabletops a once over.

Dang. That chair by the fireplace again. He thought he put them all back but couldn’t trust his own memory anymore. There you go chair. Get under the table now, and stay there. Arty picked a piece of blue yarn off the chair’s seat, and carried the trash can to the dumpster outside the kitchen’s back door.

Ok trash can. There you go. Back to your spot in the dining room. Arty squinted at the fireplace. There was a chair next to it. He shook his head. Dang he wished he could still think. He pushed the chair under the table, picked a bit of blue yarn off the floor, and shuffled back into the kitchen.

Arty liked helping with the old folks, and he liked it quiet, after hours. He was proud that he could take care of himself. Not that he could afford this kind of place anyway, but he got by.

The moon was full and bright as Arty started his walk home, but the wind nipped his ears, and he tucked his hands deep into his jacket pockets expecting to feel, as usual, the torn inner lining. Instead his right hand hit a soft wad. He pulled it out. A stocking cap, crocheted of blue yarn. Where did you come from hat? Arty wished he could remember, but there it was. He pulled the soft edges over his ears and shuffled home.

-----------------------------------

The Very Worst Entry :)

Stumped

Nanohedron sat at the keyboard, stumped. There was big fat dismal load of nothing going on at work, he had all the time in the world to compose something for the new 4K prose competition, and he was stumped. The well had run dry. His mind was one great flow of nada. Zilch. Bupkiss. He was betrayed. The Muse had ditched him, probably for someone who had the self-confidence to not be using Rogaine. Thanks a bunch, Bloomfield, he thought to himself, willfully ignoring the fact that thinking to oneself probably constitutes a tautology or something. I got yer tautology….right HERE. It didn’t even make Nano feel better to think these thoughts. He chewed restlessly on his gum, and the screen mocked him in glowing silence. Sighing, he decided to hang it up for the moment, and went out for a smoke.

------------------------------

Funniest Entry

What about sex

What about sex, she said.
What about it, I asked her in reply.
I asked you not to mention it, she said.
Then I won’t, I said. I didn’t.
I don’t believe in it, you know, she said.
What do you believe in, I asked.
Santa Claus, she said. Santa Claus and Christmas and … and that’s all. That’s all that is left. That and gnathostomata.
Ah, gnathostomata, I reflected. Are we not all, in our essence, gnathostomata, I thought.
But I didn’t mention it. I just bit my lip. Hard. Then I bit her lip even harder.
Don’t do that, she said.
I can’t help it, I told her. I have a jaw.
You have a jaw, but you have no backbone, she said.
But she was wrong. I have a back bone and I have a jaw. A jaw for biting.
And I bit her again.
Help me, Santa, she cried. Help me. But no help came – it was July. There was no Christmas.Not for her. Not then.
Santa is gone, she said. I won’t mention him again.
That’s good, I told her. Don’t mention Santa and don’t mention Christmas and don’t mention sex.
What about gnathostomata, she asked.
I’ve alread mentioned gnathostomata, I said. There’s no need for you to not mention it.
I lit a cigarette to cover the silence. She doesn’t like it when I smoke, but she doesn’t mention it.
I need order, she said. I crave order. I crave discipline.
I could get the ferule, I said. The silver one.
Would you, she asked. Would you do that for me.
Of course I would, I said.
Thanks, she said. I was afraid you meant the ferrule.
Don’t mention it.

--------------------------------------

Best Non-Entry

The Day Everything Went Wrong

The dog sat alertly. There was a busy silence at the dinner table, for the man and woman and the baby in her high chair were all hungrily eating. Finally, his first urgent hunger satisfied, the man sat back, shook his head, and said, “Boy, am I glad to see this day come to an end. You wouldn’t believe the things that went wrong.“ The woman said, “Oh, for me too, but tell me about yours first.” It started, he said, with the ride to work…

As he set the morning scene, the baby picked up the shiny piece of shattered light bulb that had landed earlier in the day, unnoticed, on her high chair seat, looked at it mesmerized, and lifted it to her mouth. Just then, a piece of meatloaf fell off the man’s fork as he gestured to show that the near miss with the semi created so much wind that it rocked the car and caused the day’s first disaster: his giant bag of Good ‘N Plenty spilled all over the floor of the front seat. The dog, seizing the meatloaf moment, raced to the cleanup, on his way knocking into the legs of the high chair. In the shakeup the baby dropped the piece of glass, which fell through the grate on the heating duct. She cried and threw her bowl of sweet potatoes to the floor. “Wouldn’t you know? I just washed the floor this morning,” the woman sighed. “So I had to clean all that up,” the man continued, “real dignified, brushing out Good ‘N Plenty from the car in my ‘Vice-President’ parking space. Then later, I go to get some coffee, but some jerk has left an empty pot on the burner, so if I want any coffee, I have to wash it and make a fresh pot. It’s like the last thing I needed.” The woman clucked incredulously as she settled the baby down with a fresh bowl, rubbing her back gently. “Some people.” “Oh just wait, there’s more,” he said.

And so it went, as the man and woman, getting full, shared the tribulations of the day, and the last light faded from the sky. The kitchen was bright and warm. The baby chewed on her soft-tipped spoon, her face orange with sweet potato, and the dog groomed noisily under the table.

-----------------------------------------

The VERY Best Entry (Junior Category)

I wish I was a doorway, but I'm just a little boy. I'd be open all the time and never alive. My mommy loves me, my daddy loves me, my sister loves me. But I wish I was a doorway, even though I'm just a little boy.

Note: The Editors wish to inform the author of this entry that he is not "a little boy." He is a man. He is a Man. And don't forget it, no matter what Mommy says.

-----------------------------

Best Empty Entry

The Morning After the Big Meteor

Best Sequel

48 Hours After the Big Meteor --- A Sequel

(The Editors regret that these two entries cannot be reproduced here due to space limitation.)

---------------------------------------

Worst Ending to A Great Start

Leaving

The sun was setting as Eddie strode out of the school gates. The uneven road wasn’t busy, the busses had all left long ago, full of all the people Eddie hated. Eddie hated everyone. What no one knew was why he hated them. They had no idea why he continually stormed out of lessons, went into fits of rage and threw large objects at people. They had asked him why he did those things, what upset him. They had forced him to see a psychiatrist, but that didn’t work. They tried to punish him, give him detentions for everything. This just made it worse, for Eddie liked to be alone and away from the people he hated, loathed, despised.

As he walked, Eddie’s shadow lengthened in front of him. He wished for the millionth time that he could leave. He felt he needed to leave. What Eddie wanted to leave he was unsure of; his school, his town, his life.

Eddie often thought of suicide, it was drastic, but it would end everything. So far in is 15 years of life he had refrained from killing himself for one reason. The belief that one day he would be free. Free from the systems that tried to hold him, free from the people that tried to hurt him, free from the minds that tried to push him down. In 2 days he would be 15. Earlier in life, when he was still at the orphanage, he had resolved to top himself at 10. When his 10th birthday came and Eddie still hadn’t found what he needed, he couldn’t just kill himself. He had just been adopted and thought things would change. How wrong he was.

Eddie was turning into his street now, he shuffled past the place he first got stabbed, and he shuffled up to his gate. Putting a thin hand on the rusted latch he pressed it down and the iron gate squeaked open on ancient hinges.

Two days later, a man came home to find his adopted son lying on the floor with a bottle of pills in his hand.

What Eddie had looked for 15 years was love. That simple 4 lettered word that means so much to people. He had never received any, only giving it away until he was a hollow shell. Devoid of any good emotion, only filled with hatred, evil and anger.

-------------------------------

Golden Sax Rohmer Smelly Feet Award

The Scissors Murders

As I turned onto the Shanghai Piers, two more shadows melted from the warehouse wall and joined the three men who had been on my heels since the Block & Tackle, the scene of the latest scissors murder. It might be a coincidence.

I broke into a run. There was a cry and they were after me. I turned into an alley. A 8-foot fence, I scrambled over it. I turned a corner, another fence. I dove among the barrels and debris littering the alley. As the five men ran past and climbed the fence, they shouted in Chinese. Fu Manchu was behind this after all; I had been right.

When I got back, Gerald nodded toward my office. She was there. “So, we meet at last,” I said as I closed the door behind me. She stood up, and melted into my arms: her lips hot upon mine. Spearmint. I pushed her to the side. “What is that? The amulet!” She looked at me through dark, tearfilled eyes. She shook her head mutely.

Days later I was still no closer. There had been no further murders. But I could not forget how they had anticipated my every move. The amulet had told me that she was Fu Manchu’s decoy, but I sensed that there was more to it. There always is. Gerald was watching her, dogging her.

I looked up through the rain. The moon was rising reluctantly above the sewage plant. A foul night for foul business.

I had hardly broken down the door and entered by the service tunnel, when I heard Chinese voices. I crept closer; I could not see them. Then I heard her voice and froze. “He saw the amulet,” she told them. I bit my lip. “No, he doesn’t know about the warehouse.” The warehouse. Shanghai Piers. But where was Gerald?

I crept backwards. Once outside, I ran. Would I be in time? The water splashed up from the cobblestone. A single lighted window. Up the fire-escape, panting. I pressed my face against the window. I saw the body fall, the scissors glint, bright blood dripping. The glass shattered as I lunged. Gerald was there, his eyes as wide with surprise as mine. He understood before I did. The pistol flashed in his hand. And I heard the cackling laugh of Fu Manchu.
Last edited by Bloomfield on Fri Dec 03, 2004 1:45 am, edited 1 time in total.
/Bloomfield
Bloomfield

Post by Bloomfield »

Thanks again for playing everyone. Please remember to vote, and to vote soon: The voting is limited to five days.

Find all the original entries, non-entries, and banter in the original A Season To Be Brief thread.

'Night now.
/Bloomfield
john swinton
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1
Location: in front of a computer, whistle in one hand, mouse in the other

Post by john swinton »

sorry about the worst ending.

I started to write passionately, but then my mind went blank!

Well, at least i got an award :lol:
* # ~ WHISTLE TILL YOU DROP ~ # *

(or your lungs colapse!)

John :lol:
izzarina

Post by izzarina »

Oh darn, guess my eyelash batting didn't get my anywhere! :wink: Maybe next time :lol:
Someday, everything is gonna be diff'rent
When I paint my masterpiece.
Bloomfield

Post by Bloomfield »

john swinton wrote:sorry about the worst ending.

I started to write passionately, but then my mind went blank!

Well, at least i got an award :lol:
No need to be sorry. It was the best worst one could wish for. In fact, if it had been a beginning rather than an ending, it would have stood a chance to win the Bulwer-Lytton reward this year. Difficult to pull off, and very impressive! :)

I hope everybody understands how hard it was to chose and that bribes, dice, and drunken Tarot sessions were the fairest way to go. So if your don't find you entry in the list, it probably has nothing to do with your writing. It's all my fault you see, Dale couldn't even help choosing. It's all on Bloomfield's head.

Please direct all hatemail to dalewisely@writingcompetition.org.
/Bloomfield
Will O'B
Location: The Other Side Of The Glen (i.e. A Long Way From Tipperary)

Post by Will O'B »

Congratulations to all the finalists. And heart-felt condolences to all my fellow losers . . . er, not finalists.

Bloo, I thought my "boy with the mismatched shoes" piece would have at least gotten an honourable mention for being the only entry with two policemen and a boy with mismatched shoes. But the only thing that rated recognition were my actual nonentries that were wordless. Hm-m-m-m. . . I wonder if Bloo's trying to tell me something? :-?

Will O'Ban
So long as men can breathe, or eyes can see,
So long lives this, and this gives life to thee.

Pay no attention to that man behind the curtain!
Nanohedron
Moderatorer
Tell us something.: Been a fluter, citternist, and uilleann piper; committed now to the way of the harp.

Oh, yeah: also a mod here, not a spammer. A matter of opinion, perhaps.

Post by Nanohedron »

Worst entry! Cool. :D
Bloomfield

Post by Bloomfield »

Will O'B wrote:Congratulations to all the finalists. And heart-felt condolences to all my fellow losers . . . er, not finalists.

Bloo, I thought my "boy with the mismatched shoes" piece would have at least gotten an honourable mention for being the only entry with two policemen and a boy with mismatched shoes. But the only thing that rated recognition were my actual nonentries that were wordless. Hm-m-m-m. . . I wonder if Bloo's trying to tell me something? :-?

Will O'Ban
You know, the boy piece was this close. Very nicely done. But then I rolled a 6, and my glass was empty, and you know what that means. :)
/Bloomfield
Will O'B

Post by Will O'B »

Bloomfield wrote: But . . . my glass was empty, and you know what that means. :)
Darn . . . I knew I should have sent the 5 gallon bottle of sherry. That's what I get for being cheap . . . and it was only a dollar more than the bottle I sent, too. I'll make a note for the next contest.

Will O'Ban

Paul

Post by Paul »

Nanohedron wrote:Worst entry! Cool. :D
I was robbed. :evil: ROBBED I TELL YA!!!!! :lol: Good job, Nanohedron!
spittin_in_the_wind

Post by spittin_in_the_wind »

The VERY Best Entry (Junior Category)

Note: The Editors wish to inform the author of this entry that he is not "a little boy." He is a man. He is a Man. And don't forget it, no matter what Mommy says.
My God, Bloomfield, what are you trying to do to me?!?! Little "men" have more testosterone per pound at age 5 than they ever have again in their lives!!! :o

I'll let "the Man" know that his entry was duly appreciated.

Robin
emmline

Post by emmline »

1. Bump

2. This voting is surprising me a little.

3. I'm afraid to editorialize lest I sway any votes.

4. No-one would listen to me anyway.

5. I almost voted for 2 which are presently at the bottom--loved them.

6. vote. yeah you.
Will O'B

Post by Will O'B »

emmline wrote:1. Bump

2. This voting is surprising me a little.

3. I'm afraid to editorialize lest I sway any votes.

4. No-one would listen to me anyway.

5. I almost voted for 2 which are presently at the bottom--loved them.

6. vote. yeah you.
Ahhh . . . one of the benefits of not being recognized as a finalist is that I don't have to keep checking the thread all day to see how the voting is going. I pity you poor finalists . . you will not be getting much sleep over the next few days. :) I think I'll take my antidepressant medication and go back to bed for a couple of weeks. Sleep . . . it's so lovely. Ahhh . . . :sleep:

By the way, my vote is still for sale. :wink:

Will O'Ban