Temptations of ALBA

The Ultimate On-Line Whistle Community. If you find one more ultimater, let us know.
talasiga
antispam: No

Temptations of ALBA

Post by talasiga »

Swoll wrote:Anyone know where i can get alba whistles???
:-? :-? :-?
emmline wrote:Click here: http://www.albawhistles.com

oops. Lixnaw is faster than I.

I love my Bb. There is likely to be a bit of a wait, but not years, as is sometimes the case with handcrafted whistles.
glauber wrote:There are also usually some in stock at http://www.gaeliccrossings.com

http://www.gaeliccrossings.com/store/index.php/cat_3
jkrazy52 wrote:If the Alba whistle you're interested in is a Q1, I think Stacey (the Alba whistlegoddess) said to contact her by email to order one from her -- and they are available at Big Whistle Music, http://www.bigwhistle.co.uk , online ... just like lixnaw posted. (Will learn someday to read all the 'links' before posting ... :oops: )

Alba's a nice whistle - happy hunting.

~Judy

(edited to give credit where credit was due.)
Last edited by talasiga on Wed Dec 22, 2004 4:40 am, edited 3 times in total.
qui jure suo utitur neminem laedit
IDAwHOa
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: I play whistles. I sell whistles. This seems just a BIT excessive to the cause. A sentence or two is WAY less than 100 characters.

Post by IDAwHOa »

Yeah, kinda got off track there. :roll:
Steven - IDAwHOa - Wood Rocks

"If you keep asking questions.... You keep getting answers." - Miss Frizzle - The Magic School Bus
talasiga

Post by talasiga »

NorCalMusician wrote:Yeah, kinda got off track there. :roll:
Yes, imagine if you were the maker of Alba whistles and you came across the other Alba Whistles topic. How would ya feel?
izzarina
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by izzarina »

talasiga wrote:
NorCalMusician wrote:Yeah, kinda got off track there. :roll:
Yes, imagine if you were the maker of Alba whistles and you came across the other Alba Whistles topic. How would ya feel?
I would tend to think that she would feel like saying some things that would prompt another thread like the hijacked Alba thread :wink:
Someday, everything is gonna be diff'rent
When I paint my masterpiece.
jkrazy52

Post by jkrazy52 »

Good job, talasiga! :thumbsup:

~Judy
CHIFF FIPPLE

Re: ALBA WHISTLES

Post by CHIFF FIPPLE »

talasiga wrote:
Swoll wrote:Anyone know where i can get alba whistles???
:-? :-? :-?
Yes !
8) From Me 8)
ImageStacey has the most bodacious fipples! & Message board
http://whistlenstrings.invisionzone.com ... t=0&p=3303&
talasiga

Post by talasiga »

How do you feel about this topic then? And where do you feel it?
glauber

Post by glauber »

talasiga wrote:How do you feel about this topic then? And where do you feel it?
I object to such suggestive language. What if a 15-year-old sex-crazed teen would happen to read your post? :P
On the Internet, nobody knows you're a dog!
--Wellsprings--
Paul

Post by Paul »

I'll tell y'all what... I have an Alba low C. It is an incredible whistle. I have posted about it before. Here are some links to pictures of it.

http://images.snapfish.com/33%3A7865523 ... A757ot1lsi
http://images.snapfish.com/33%3A7865523 ... %3C6ot1lsi

I'm telling you, this whistle is awesome. As you can see by the pictures it is beautifully engineered and crafted. The sound is strong and grounded, and, despite its size it is surprisingly easy to play. The sound is strong and grounded which is not unexpected due to the thickness of the aluminum. It is balanced through both octaves and responsive. Warm and thick are pretty good descriptives. It is pleasantly airy sounding without sounding breathy or huffy. Amazingly, the finger holes are not much bigger than on the Copeland Soprano D that is pictured with it in the links above. I can only imagine that it took a LOT of innovation and creativity to figure out how to assemble this entire package. If you're thinking about an Alba whistle I can tell you that based on my experience with this low C, you will not be disappointed. Stacry's work, based on what I have here, is impeccable and of the highest quality with regard to design and execution. I would best describe it as a truely modern instrument that employs the best technology and materials available today.

Best,
Paul
CHIFF FIPPLE

Post by CHIFF FIPPLE »

Thanks Paul :D

Psst.
That case load of whistles is on its way :lol: :lol: :lol:
ImageStacey has the most bodacious fipples! & Message board
http://whistlenstrings.invisionzone.com ... t=0&p=3303&
rh

Post by rh »

the Q1 i just got has quickly become my favorite high d whistle (my others include a brass copeland, burke dan, o'brien, also susato, clarke, gen etc). great sound and response, just loud enough and zero shriek. it is my first alba but it won't be my last.
there is no end to the walking
Paul

Post by Paul »

CHIFF FIPPLE wrote:Thanks Paul :D

Psst.
That case load of whistles is on its way :lol: :lol: :lol:
:lol: :lol: :lol: Seriously, though, It really is cool. I couldn't be happier with it

-Paul
jkrazy52

Post by jkrazy52 »

rh wrote:the Q1 i just got has quickly become my favorite high d whistle (my others include a brass copeland, burke dan, o'brien, also susato, clarke, gen etc). great sound and response, just loud enough and zero shriek. it is my first alba but it won't be my last.
Oh, stop please! I'm trying to wait until after the 1st of the year to order a Q1 -- you are not helping! :D Maybe my name should go to the top of my Christmas list .... hmmmm ....

~Judy
izzarina

Post by izzarina »

jkrazy52 wrote:
rh wrote:the Q1 i just got has quickly become my favorite high d whistle (my others include a brass copeland, burke dan, o'brien, also susato, clarke, gen etc). great sound and response, just loud enough and zero shriek. it is my first alba but it won't be my last.
Oh, stop please! I'm trying to wait until after the 1st of the year to order a Q1 -- you are not helping! :D Maybe my name should go to the top of my Christmas list .... hmmmm ....

~Judy
That's pretty much what I'm doing this year....why should everyone else get presents when I would like.....no, when I NEED more whistles??? ;)

And really, none of you are helping here you know. And here I was with the impression that this board was going to help me get over my WhOA....you all are enablers!!!!! :wink:
Someday, everything is gonna be diff'rent
When I paint my masterpiece.
rh

Post by rh »

jkrazy52 wrote: Oh, stop please! I'm trying to wait until after the 1st of the year to order a Q1 -- you are not helping! :D
i got in a good uninterrupted 90 minutes with it last night after my wife and son went off to bed. i was in the basement, granted, but sound carries pretty well through my house. i blasted away, working through some nagging problems in some tunes, pushing the metronome on the tunes i knew well, had a great time. i never felt like i was compromising on pushing the whistle, i never felt like my eardrums were getting weary, and i never worried about waking up the baby (most important).

The volume is maybe a notch or so below the Burke DAN (probably not by much though), but the tone is fatter and the top end is never piercing like it can be on the Burke. The Copeland, forget about playing at 11:30 PM. Ditto the Susato.

So, yeah, i think this is a great whistle for me anyway -- i play at home, though not any sessions right now, i can ornament at speed when i've got the tune down, don't really need a tuning slide. It might be good for a small session -- i'm speculating -- but it would probably get lost in a bigger session. However i've got the Burke and the Copeland (both of which are fine whistles of course) to meet greater volume needs should they arise.

Okay, i'll stop now... really... :D
there is no end to the walking