Seeking suggestions for 1st wooden whistle - gift

The Ultimate On-Line Whistle Community. If you find one more ultimater, let us know.
dwinterfield
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Seeking suggestions for 1st wooden whistle - gift

Post by dwinterfield »

My wife is always asking for ideas for birthday (late in the year) and Christmas gifts. As a new whistle player and collector of all sorts of things, I'd like to suggest she give me my first wooden whistle. My current favorite metal whistles are a Burke black tip and Shaw. Dance music is fun, but I tend to be attracted to slow airs, ballads and other moody sorts of tunes. I've also recently gotten hold of Cook and Overton low Ds that I like a lot. I'm working up to playing is a beginners session this Fall, but mostly expect to play for myself.
So I'm wondering - what would be a good first wooden whistle? keeping in mind that a gift requiring a 2 year wait on a list probably isn't a great suggestion. (Maybe for my 2nd wooden whistle!) Also, given that I'm drawn to slower sorts of music, any suggestions about keys other than D?

Thanks in advance. C&F is a treasure for folks learning about whistles and curious OTs.

Mark
blackhawk
antispam: No

Post by blackhawk »

I'd suggest a Boisvert whistle. You can check them out at http://greenwoodpipes.com/

They are a great value for the money, and they don't take forever to get. :)
Nothing is so firmly believed as that which is least known--Montaigne

We can easily forgive a child who is afraid of the dark. The real tragedy of life is when men are afraid of the light
--Plato
headwizer

Post by headwizer »

Well, I recommend a Busman - $250 (I got mine before the price went up) and a waiting time of about 2 months. Mine arrived a couple of weeks ago (will post a review soon). The Busman has a higher back pressure than my Clarke Original and MEG and Generation. Paul has been touting the use of back pressure for vibrato. For me, the significance of back pressure is that it gives each note a wider dynamic range, so that each note can be played with greater finesse/coloration and the whistle can be made to sound like it's "wailing." To me, it more like singing with head voice than with chest voice (not that I am a trained singer).

The back pressure does take some getting used to though. On slow tunes, it's marvelous for expressiveness. On fast tunes, it can be a bit of a hinderance.

Everyone seems to like Abell whistles too, but the price of those has now gone up to $350!!
Zubivka

Post by Zubivka »

From what you say of your favourites, low wind requirements are not your top priority.

Hence, these should not overlooked, and not only for their competitive price :
http://www.sweetheartflute.com/whistles.html

For about the same price, this one, used
http://chiffboard.mati.ca/viewtopic.php?t=21852
seems like a good deal for the African blackwood "de luxe" variation.
Redwolf
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Post by Redwolf »

For slow airs? Busman.

Redwolf
...agus déanfaidh mé do mholadh ar an gcruit a Dhia, a Dhia liom!
chas

Post by chas »

I'll third the Busman. Red, it's also quite good for fast playing, it just doesn't scream "play me hard" like a Thin Weasel, nor "play me fast" like a Grinter. The thing about the Busman is that it's extremely versatile -- loud enough to be heard in a group, but not so loud that others will complain about its volume; good volume at the low end, but not screaming on the high notes; good for a number of different styles; and will appeal to a broad range of players.

OTOH, if you like to move a little more air and/or like a whistle with a little more heft, the Boisvert may appeal to you more.

They're both fine whistles. I haven't played the Sweetheart professional model, so can't comment on that.

Other whistlewrights with short waits and often whistles in stock include Glenn Schultz and Phil Bleazey. I love the whistles from both of these guys, but their whistles really do lend themselves to being played hard. If that's your cup of tea, check them out.
Charlie
Whorfin Woods
"Our work puts heavy metal where it belongs -- as a music genre and not a pollutant in drinking water." -- Prof Ali Miserez.
Redwolf

Post by Redwolf »

chas wrote:I'll third the Busman. Red, it's also quite good for fast playing, it just doesn't scream "play me hard" like a Thin Weasel, nor "play me fast" like a Grinter. The thing about the Busman is that it's extremely versatile -- loud enough to be heard in a group, but not so loud that others will complain about its volume; good volume at the low end, but not screaming on the high notes; good for a number of different styles; and will appeal to a broad range of players.
Oh, I know it is. I just mentioned that in particular because he'd mentioned being drawn to slower music, and for airs I think the Busman is a better choice than the Sweetheart (much as I love my Sweetheart Pro)...it has a very rich, complex tone.

Redwolf
...agus déanfaidh mé do mholadh ar an gcruit a Dhia, a Dhia liom!
Darwin

Post by Darwin »

I don't think you can go wrong with a Busman. My bloodwood is excellent, and a check just went out today for a Delrin. (Both with stainless steel fittings.)

Paul recently posted about the woods that he has available: http://chiffboard.mati.ca/viewtopic.php ... ht=#252224
Mike Wright

"When an idea is wanting, a word can always be found to take its place."
 --Goethe
tomcat
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: Used to live in Gilbert, AZ which is a suburb of Phoenix. Recently moved to Portland OR. Argh. Not sure if this is meeting the requirement of number of characters, but I'm trying.

Post by tomcat »

i'll cast my vote for the greenwoods blackhawk mentioned. i've had both a thin weasel and a busman and both are excellent. my preference is for the greenwood. great tone. great price. wonderful sound. look for reviews elsewhere on this board and i don't think you will be disappointed.
Wombat

Post by Wombat »

I'd love to try Boisvert, Rose and Grinter high Ds. Amongst those I have, my favourite is the Busman. The Thin Weasel has an edge in speed of response, but the tone and all round playability of the Busman gives it an edge over my Weasel and my Abell.

There is something about wooden whistles that makes them special. I have five Abells and my Grinter low F is one of my favourite whistles.
Brian Lee

Post by Brian Lee »

O'Riordan
Rose
THin Weasel
Whistlin'Dixie

Post by Whistlin'Dixie »

I love my Rose as well.

Busman whistles, and Boisevert's are also wonderful.

I don't think any of them have overly long wait lists.

Mary
vomitbunny

Post by vomitbunny »

Not to discredit any of the other wooden whistles, especially since I havn't tried one, but can't you get an ironwood syn for about 100 bucks?
My opinion is stupid and wrong.