Burke high D aluminum and fingerings

The Ultimate On-Line Whistle Community. If you find one more ultimater, let us know.
Hwistle

Burke high D aluminum and fingerings

Post by Hwistle »

Hi there,

I plan to order a Burke high D aluminum narrow bore in the following weeks but, before, I'd like to double-check some fingering issues, if some of you can help.

My main concern is the fingering of Cnat: I am pretty much used to 0xx 000 so I'd like to know how that fingering responds in this whistle (I am not confortable playing half hole)

Secondly, I am interested in other cross fingering possibilities like Bflat and Gsharp, are these possible in this whistle?

Finally, I've read in previous messages about the lightness of the aluminium whistle: Does it means that is fragile? I mean, if it falls from the table or rolls over it, can it be damaged?

Thanks a lot,

Manuel
glauber
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by glauber »

Aluminum is very strong. They make airplanes out of it. If you drive a car over the whistle you'll probably flatten it, but it should be able to take a lot of normal wear and tear.

I don't have a Burke narrow bore, so somebody else will have to speak about fingerings, but usually Cnat requires a change in your expectations re: intonation :) G# usually works best half-holed. Bb should cross-finger.

It's a good whistle, stick with it and you won't be disappointed.

g
On the Internet, nobody knows you're a dog!
--Wellsprings--
chas
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Post by chas »

The two-fingered Cnat on the Burke narrow-bore is somewhat sharp. About the same as on a Clare if you have one. The best I can get cross-fingering it is OXX XXO. I haven't tried the Bflat or Gsharp.

On Mike's wide-bore whistles, the two-finger Cnat is as close to perfect as on any whistle, and the upper-octave Bflat can be gotten with XXO XXX. (I think the G# works with XXO XXX in the lower octave and XXO XOX in the upper, but I don't remember specifically.)
Charlie
Whorfin Woods
"Our work puts heavy metal where it belongs -- as a music genre and not a pollutant in drinking water." -- Prof Ali Miserez.
moxy

Post by moxy »

I agree about the C natural on the Burke narrow bore - it's best when it's cross-fingered (OXX XOX).
FJohnSharp
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: I used to be a regular then I took up the bassoon. Bassoons don't have a lot of chiff. Not really, I have always been a drummer, and my C&F years were when I was a little tired of the drums. Now I'm back playing drums. I mist the C&F years, though.

Post by FJohnSharp »

I played some Burkes at the Dublin Irish festival and the aluminums are very light, but by no means fragile. I would say they're just as tough as a Generation brass.

I liked the aluminum and I find myself wishing I had gotten that rather than the brass. But still I love my brass.
"Meon an phobail a thogail trid an chultur"
(The people’s spirit is raised through culture)

Suburban Symphony
Darwin

Post by Darwin »

Back before I started keeping my right little finger down at all times, my Burke aluminum narrow bore flew out of my hands and bounced of of a tile countertop onto a tile floor. It got several minuscule dings on the back--too small to notice if you don't know they're there, but no dents. Scared the heck out of me, though, as it was brand new at the time.

Its tone is my favorite for slow airs. I find it the easiest to push the sound around on--heavy breath vibrato, long slides, overblowing and then easing off as a way of sliding down to a note. I actually have to be careful not to overdo it. Most of my other whistles take a bit of work to produce those effects.
Mike Wright

"When an idea is wanting, a word can always be found to take its place."
 --Goethe
Hwistle

Post by Hwistle »

Thanks to everybody for the answers, very helpful.

Having clear my doubts on the fragility of the material, my remaining concern lies in the fingering: I got different whistles and some of them work better than others with the 2 finger (no perfect pitch, though). What I'm trying to avoid is what happened to me when I got a Sindt, then the Cn just doesnt appear to exist using this fingering. Somebody mentioned that the session one works better with that fingering, if so, Would you recommend geting that whistle instead of the narrow bore one? Is there a lot of difference in between them?

Thanks again,

Manuel
Ridseard

Post by Ridseard »

Most people wouldn't notice that the two-finger C-nat on the Al NB is a little off, and unless it is a sustained note it doesn't really matter. It's a great whistle and suits my aggressive playing, but I think most people would prefer either the Session (or whatever it's called nowadays) or the Brass NB (a quiet whistle with response very similar to the Session).
Darwin

Post by Darwin »

So, does anyone in the world own a Burke wide-bore aluminum D? Has Mike Burke ever actually sold one? From what I've been able to find in the archives, the narrow bore is the only one mentioned. I'm particularly interested in the black-tip.

In addition to the narrow-bore aluminum D, I have the wide-bore brass C (also black-tip), and the sound is more what I've taken to calling "reedy". That is, there's a bit more of a background hum--though nothing as extreme as my two wooden whistles.

Since it varies from the D in material, bore, and key, I can't extrapolate what a wide-bore aluminum D or a narrow-bore brass D would sound like.

I like the C a lot, and wouldn't mind something halfway between my two Burkes (but in D, for sure).
Mike Wright

--Goethe
Ridseard

Post by Ridseard »

So, does anyone in the world own a Burke wide-bore aluminum D? Has Mike Burke ever actually sold one? From what I've been able to find in the archives, the narrow bore is the only one mentioned. I'm particularly interested in the black-tip.
You missed L. E. McCullough's rave review?
http://www.chiffandfipple.com/cf-July2004/
amar
Please enter the next number in sequence: 12

Post by amar »

this may not help, but i've got burke lowD Al EZ. cnat is spot on by crossfingering. yeah.
FJohnSharp
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: I used to be a regular then I took up the bassoon. Bassoons don't have a lot of chiff. Not really, I have always been a drummer, and my C&F years were when I was a little tired of the drums. Now I'm back playing drums. I mist the C&F years, though.

Post by FJohnSharp »

I almost never find myself having to drop the F# finger on Cnat on my Session brass. In fact I cannot think of the last time I did it.

I think all the D's are black tip now--at least the ones I saw in Dublin.
"Meon an phobail a thogail trid an chultur"
(The people’s spirit is raised through culture)

Suburban Symphony
Hwistle

Post by Hwistle »

Ridseard wrote:
I read the review but, Does it refers to the wide bore whistle? I don't remember having read which aluminium whistle did he played

Manuel
Darwin

Post by Darwin »

Hwistle wrote:
Ridseard wrote:
I read the review but, Does it refers to the wide bore whistle? I don't remember having read which aluminium whistle did he played
I just checked it again, and I don't see it. I also held mine up next to the picture, but I can't tell which it is.
Mike Wright

--Goethe
Ridseard

Post by Ridseard »

I don't think that's a picture of L. E.'s whistle. (Dale provided the photo.) However, I think it is a picture of the session model, since all the aluminum narrow bore whistles I've seen have the black tip.

Strictly speaking the "wide bore" whistles are no longer in production. The session has the same bore size. I think L. E. would have specified that his was a narrow bore if it had been. Since the session is the standard D whistle, it's natural to assume that's what it is by default. Can't be absolutely positive, however.