Any tips for visual learners?

The Ultimate On-Line Whistle Community. If you find one more ultimater, let us know.
Lizzie
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Any tips for visual learners?

Post by Lizzie »

I have realized that one of the reasons I have such trouble memorizing tunes and learning tunes by ear is that I am a visual learner with a strong visual memory and a poor auditory memory. This means that if I already know a tune I can pick it out by ear. It also means that if I hear a few bars of a tune I cannot remember it long enough to try and play it. I am not saying this is impossible, but terribly time consuming and frustrating. The best way for me to learn a tune is to have sheet music and a recording of the tune and i read, listen and then play along with the recording.

I have gone through the archives on memorizing, but most of the advice is geared towards those with good auditory skills. What I know about learning styles is that I cannot be the only one out there. Anyone else like me with a tip to share?
avanutria
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: A long time chatty Chiffer but have been absent for almost two decades. Returned in 2022 and still recognize some names! I also play anglo concertina now.

Post by avanutria »

You've got the most important part already - if you already know a tune you can pick it out by ear. Now you want to practice picking up tunes that you don't already know.

Take a recording of a tune, put it on repeat, and listen. and again. and again. and again (at this point you will receive scathing looks from any nearby roommates or relatives). See if you can start to join in on bits and pieces of it - skip the parts that you can't grasp quite yet. In each repetition, you will find you get a bit more of the tune.

You can also try breaking the tune into smaller parts in an audio editing program, and working on repeating one small piece at a time. I did this for the five-part tune "Kid on the Mountain". First I learned each part on its own, then parts A and B together, then parts B and C together, then C and D together, etc, and then connected them all like legos. :D
Cayden

Post by Cayden »

I seem to generate images of fingering patterns and progresions in tunes like arpeggios and similar figures in my mind to help remembering tunes. Hard to explain what it exactly is but there's a strong visualisation involved.
TonyHiggins

Post by TonyHiggins »

If your goal is to only memorize the melody notes of a tune, load an abc file into a player and read the notes while you listen and play along. You can adjust the speed up as you progress. This way, you'll see, hear, and feel the tune at the same time.

For warnings on the pitfalls of abc's and written music in general, do a search under 'Hell and Damnation.'
Tony
http://tinwhistletunes.com/clipssnip/newspage.htm Officially, the government uses the term “flap,” describing it as “a condition, a situation or a state of being, of a group of persons, characterized by an advanced degree of confusion that has not quite reached panic proportions.”
Jeff Guevin

Post by Jeff Guevin »

Lizzie, maybe this is obvious, but have you tried singing the tunes you're trying to learn? I'm learning tunes from Geraldine Cotter's tutor CD, and I just loop the songs, humming, whistling (with lips) or singing along until I feel pretty comfortable that I know the melody. Then I sing the first phrase by myself and try to find the notes on the whistle. It's slow going, but I'm finding that I'm improving fairly quickly.

I've used a similar trick as a jazz bassist--when I have trouble improvising solos, humming or singing quietly seems to "re-connect" my musical ideas to the instrument. My voice isn't so great, so I generally do this in practice sessions as an exercise, then keep my mouth shut at performances.

I've spent a considerable portion of my musical life tied to sheet music, or at least thinking of music "visually"; i.e., memorizing music as it looks on the page, not how it sounds. I am positive this has limited me in many ways. In fact, 50% of the reason I took up whistle/ITM is as an excuse/opportunity to learn music entirely by ear.

Anyway, my unscientific opinion is that "visual learning" is more of a habit than a result of anything inborn. Stick with learning by ear, slog through it, and I'd wager you'll be happier for it!
Jeff Guevin

Post by Jeff Guevin »

I didn't address memorizing: the better you get at learning by ear, the easier memorization gets. I'll bet you wouldn't have trouble singing any number of rock or pop songs from memory, that you've never seen sheet music for. That's because a) You've heard the songs a number of times, and b) it's not as challenging to produce music vocally as on the whistle. When you have an aural connection to your instrument, "memorizing" is really just not having to struggle connecting the melody in your head with your fingers.

I know you said you quickly forget the piece of music you're working on, but I've found that it's actually the process of fumbling for the notes before the tune is solidly in my head that sort of "corrupts" my memory of the melody. If you can get through a piece vocally (a capella), you may have more luck when you pick up the whistle again.
squidgirl

Post by squidgirl »

Oooh, good topic! I have similar problems, to the extent that I often say that I'm "audio-dyslexic". In school I had such problems absorbing anything from lectures that I went to the university's learning resource center, where the tests indicated that I'm a primarily visual and kinesthetic learner, so I learned various strategies for leveraging those strengths to make up for my auditory deficits... come to think of it, I should maybe brainstorm on how to translate more of those strategies to my music stuff...

But anyway, I run into the same sorts of problems when attempting to learn things by ear -- tunes tend to go in one ear and out the other, unless I'm doing something interactive to burn them into my kinesthetic memory. I've heard suggestions to sing along with recordings, but my singing voice is so truly abysmal that I've converted that to just tonguing & half-whispering along with my recordings. I've found that it helps to do this alone in a dark room, where there's nothing to distract me from the structure & feeling of the melody I'm trying to absorb.

I've also found that it works better for me to use the my cassette player than the repeat button on the CD player, 'cos the cassette player is the kind that's optimized for studying language tapes, the kind that lets one listen while backtracking so it's easy to target and repeat specific phrases, and there's a little dial to slow them down. I hear there are computer programs (which ones??) to do this with CDs (or MP3s?), but I don't have one yet (suggestions welcome -- I'm on a Mac)

Once I have the tune firmly lodged in my head, I listen to it a few times while looking at the dots (no whistle yet), so I get an intuitive sense of how the melody I've learned relates to the dots on the page. Then I go on to playing it on my whistle, still using my sheet music, but I find that I'm not so much sight-reading as using the dots to supply the occasional note that I have trouble locating by ear. When I feel ready to let go of the sheet-music security blanket, I turn away from the music stand and try playing the song by ear and muscle memory, and am often pleasantly surprised by how much of the tune I can reproduce.

Sometimes I'm impatient with this longer learning process, so I do what you describe and just play along with the recording using sheet music, but I find that I don't learn the song as well -- it goes right out of my head as soon as the recording or sheet music is put away. To memorize the tune efficiently, I seem to need to get it into my head independent of the sheet music, and then just use the dots to smooth over the process of connecting the fingerings to the tune I hear in my head.

Finally, I find that I learn things better when I study them right before going to sleep at night, or during the day if I take a brief nap right after the study session. So I bring my little cassette player to bed with me, and repeat the tunes I'm trying to learn, tonguing & whispering along with them, until I fall asleep... and voila! I wake up with the music going through my head, and half the battle is won right there.

Noel
MarkB

Post by MarkB »

Peter wrote;
I seem to generate images of fingering patterns and progresions in tunes like arpeggios and similar figures in my mind to help remembering tunes. Hard to explain what it exactly is but there's a strong visualisation involved.
I wonder if braille would work as in an ABC file for music?

MarkB
Everybody has a photographic memory. Some just don't have film.
squidgirl

Post by squidgirl »

Jeff Guevin wrote:I'll bet you wouldn't have trouble singing any number of rock or pop songs from memory, that you've never seen sheet music for. That's because a) You've heard the songs a number of times, and b) it's not as challenging to produce music vocally as on the whistle.
Heh. You've clearly never heard me (or my father) attempty to sing -- we're the ones that people (oh so politely) request to please, PLEASE desist. No matter how well I know the tune, it comes out malformed when I try to send it out thru my vocal apparatus. It feels as though the mechanism lacks certain vital frequencies, so notes slide off in truly appalling directions.

I believe I've always been attracted to wind instruments because they give me the sensation of singing, but with the amazing benefit of being able to use my fingers to make the notes come out in tune.

Noel
Jeff Guevin

Post by Jeff Guevin »

squidgirl, I use Amazing Slow Downer for Windows, and I see there's a Mac version. It does:

* changing tempo without changing pitch
* changing pitch without changing tempo
* loops

It's not free, but not terribly expensive if you're really into learning by ear/transcribing. Very handy for Cotter's CD, since she plays the tunes way too fast for me. I also use it to learn tunes on my G whistle.
Jeff Guevin

Post by Jeff Guevin »

squidgirl wrote:Heh. You've clearly never heard me (or my father) attempty to sing -- we're the ones that people (oh so politely) request to please, PLEASE desist.
Oh, that's YOU? Yes, please stop. :lol:
Darwin

Post by Darwin »

squidgirl wrote:I've also found that it works better for me to use the my cassette player than the repeat button on the CD player, 'cos the cassette player is the kind that's optimized for studying language tapes, the kind that lets one listen while backtracking so it's easy to target and repeat specific phrases, and there's a little dial to slow them down. I hear there are computer programs (which ones??) to do this with CDs (or MP3s?), but I don't have one yet (suggestions welcome -- I'm on a Mac)
It may be overkill, but take a look at Transcribe! at http://www.seventhstring.com/

It lets you select part of a tune and play just that portion with a single mouse click. There's a 30-day demo, so it's easy enough to see if it is useful to you. My demo has expired, so I think I'll buy it now. (There are Windows and Linux/x86/GTK versions, too.)

If you get into software-buying mode, here are some more useful items available for the Mac:

The Amazing Slowdowner ( http://www.ronimusic.com ) - slows down music without changing pitch, but can also make pitch adjustments to get the music in sync with your non-tunable whistles.

BarFly ( http://www.barfly.dial.pipex.com/ ) - takes ABC notation and produces both sheet music and sound.

Dr. Betotte ( http://homepage.mac.com/seishu/ssworks/DrBetotte.html ) - a very versatile metronome application

I use BarFly a lot, but the other two are great when I need them.
Mike Wright

"When an idea is wanting, a word can always be found to take its place."
 --Goethe

Post by Guest »

The art of knowing without playing tunes is know as 'lilting' in Itrad, and it does make a very big difference to one's playing.

There are contests for it and experts at it, as well as ..tad dah CD's of it.

On some of the Chieftains CDs you may hear some, but that does not fairly represent it ..IMHO some of the best lilters are also musicians -- and OC some musicians get into it so that they can learn/improve their skills.

Highly recommeded and lots of fun as well.

:0)
moxy

Post by moxy »

I agree with the singing / lilting of a tune. I've got a good ear myself, but have been in classes where the others just could not follow what the teacher was teaching, because (obvious now) they too were visual.

I felt bad for them, and wished they could see the tune on a staff while they were learning it. Of course, they'd have to do away with the sheet music at some point if they wanted to work on getting the feel of the tune.

I'm classically trained (yep, lay it on me, I know I'm the devil's child because of that!!) so have read music since a very very young age, but am insisting as much as possible on not seeing a tune until I know it well by ear - singing it, lilting it, definitely helps me.

I still feel the best way to learn a tune is by ear - but at first, you may feel the need for the sheet music. Hopefully that habit will change with time, and you'll enjoy the music even more when it does change :)
TelegramSam

Post by TelegramSam »

I have the same type of memory you do. It does help if you use the sheet music as a sort of "road map" to use in tandem with a good recording in my experience, as long as you don't rely on it too much. Of course, I also have the bad habit of totally forgetting tunes I haven't played in a while, so I'm useless anyhow. :P
<i>The very powerful and the very stupid have one thing in common. They don't alter their views to fit the facts. They alter the facts to fit their views. Which can be uncomfortable if you happen to be one of the facts that needs altering.</i>