Thinking Musically : Music in ireland (booklaunch)

The Ultimate On-Line Whistle Community. If you find one more ultimater, let us know.
Cayden

Thinking Musically : Music in ireland (booklaunch)

Post by Cayden »

A few months ago i mentioned a series of books by oxford university press for undergraduate students i nethnomusicology.

Today the volume on irish Music was launched. I am just back fro mthe launch so i haven't had time to look at it all that close but I want to recommend it anyway (if only for the photographs, :D ).

The book outlines irish music, hsitory, song, Sean Nos singing and instrumental music, dance, music in the marketplace, passing it on.
The book also gives some insight in a wellknown session in West Clare that used o be led by Junior Crehan (which happens to be the one I am part of on the sunday nights).

Recommended reading. A CD iis included in the book

Music in Ireland : experiencing music, expressing culture/ Dorothea Hast, Stanley Scott Oxord university press ISBN 0-19-514555-0

ONe of the authors, Dora, is a whsitleplayer fro mConnecticut and whsitle players are included in the book. (added for relevance)
mcfeeley
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by mcfeeley »

Hello all -- URL for the book is at:

http://www.us.oup.com/us/catalog/genera ... 0195145550
-- Dan M.

There beside the weed and thistle, a man, a dog, and his tin whistle.
Jerry Freeman
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8

Post by Jerry Freeman »

Thanks, Peter.

I've ordered my copy.

Best wishes,
Jerry
Cayden

Post by Cayden »

Had a closer look at the book. For your interest, the CD that comes with the book has music by, among others, Junior Crehan, Michael Tubridy, Kitty Hayes, Joe Heaney, Andy Irvine, Mary MacNamara,, Kevin Crawford, Jerry O Sullivan, Len Grahan, Padraigin Ni Uallachain and a bit of Lunasa, mostly material not otherwise available. Demonstrations of tunes and ornamentation are also included in the recordings.
djm
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by djm »

Thanks, Peter. This is a great link to have (as if I can afford to buy more books off the web).

djm
I'd rather be atop the foothills than beneath them.