Davy Stephenson??

A forum about Uilleann (Irish) pipes and the surly people who play them.
WallyS
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Davy Stephenson??

Post by WallyS »

Any news about Davy Stephenson? His website no longer exists and in fact the name "Bagpipeworks.com" is currently being sold. Has anyone spoke to him recently? I understand there are several out-standing orders and that there's been health related problems for some time.
Lorenzo

Post by Lorenzo »

Auction: http://www.bagpipeworks.com/making_reeds.htm (time left-1day 6hrs)
Or, alphebetically: http://www.pool.com/DomainsForSaleList.aspx (click on "B")
Lorenzo

Post by Lorenzo »

The domain name "Bagpipeworks" disappeared soon after I posted the above links. Domain names can be listed for 7, 10, or 14 days at the auction. With 1½ days still left, it has either been suddenly removed, or sold for the buy-it-now price of $19.

Interestingly, the first link http://www.bagpipeworks.com/making_reeds.htm no longer contains the sale heading and price. It links you to the auction site, POOL.COM, but instead of listing the domain name and price in big lettering, the site now says:

"there are 22959 domains deleting today"
"This domain was registered with Pool.com!"
"You Searched For: bagpipeworks"
Tony
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: I used to play pipes about 20 years ago and suddenly abducted by aliens.
Not sure why... but it's 2022 and I'm mysteriously baack...

Post by Tony »

A 'whois' search returned too many requests error message.
Internic revealed the name was picked up by namescout.
http://www.namescout.com
Lorenzo

Post by Lorenzo »

http://reports.internic.net/cgi/whois?w ... ype=domain

Domain Name: BAGPIPEWORKS.COM
Registrar: NAMESCOUT CORP
Whois Server: whois.namescout.com
Referral URL: http://www.namescout.com
Name Server: DNS.POOL.COM
Name Server: DNS2.POOL.COM
Updated Date: 08-jun-2004
Creation Date: 08-jun-2004
Expiration Date: 08-jun-2005

Registrar is NAMESCOUT, but server is POOL.COM. Status is LOCKED. Site says, "Domain names in the .com and .net domains can now be registered with many different competing registrars." If I understand this correctly, this domain name was listed for auction at POOL.COM at least 6 days ago, then registrared under NAMESCOUT about 3 days ago?
Douglas

Post by Douglas »

This is sad news, I have hope Davy Stephenson would get his site going again, but have feared that this might happen. Mr. Stephenson is a very nice guy and does beautiful work.
Pipeman

Post by Pipeman »

No harm to Davy, and I quite respect others opinions, but I personally found Davy's business practices to be akin to that of an utter Axx-hole. Never answering the phone, cowering under his wife's skirt tails!

He still is supposed to be getting back to me about his wares!

Nice that he has packed up shop and left people without their pipes and taken the money, and still people are referring to him as a nice guy.

Good to see that Bagpipeworks has bitten the dust and that no more pipers will be conned out of their hard earned cash.

OK rip me apart but thats how I found him to run his business. Taking money and not coming up with the goods is dishonest and the actrions of a total cad! Using bad health as an excuse sucks big time in my opinion.

Only illness that guy suffered from was sitting on his lazy ass!

Thank God for decent folks like Brian Howard!
His pipes rock!

Davy taking money and not delivering pipes to those who paid? Mr Nice Guy?

Come on get a life Douglas! Would you still be saying this if you had been ripped off out of your pipe money?

Goodbye www.Bagpipeworks.con and about time too! :lol:

No doubt in the interests of 'Free Speech & Democracy' this post will be deleted. No wonder rogue pipe makers can survive when sites like this censor any criticism of them. Makes me wonder if the folks who are running this site are not getting a nice commission from these guys in order to advertise their services. OK Dale here is another thread for you to lock in order to stiffle all criticism of your buddies!:-?
Last edited by Pipeman on Sat Jun 12, 2004 1:04 am, edited 1 time in total.
Dale
The Landlord

Post by Dale »

Pipeman wrote:. Makes me wonder if the folks who are running this site are not getting a nice commission from these guys in order to advertise their services. OK Dale here is another thread for you to lock in order to stiffle all criticism of your buddies!:-?[/i][/color]
Damn! Busted. In 2003 alone, I received $28,430.22 in payoffs from Davy. I feel kind of bad about it, because if, in fact, he has gone out of business, it may be because of the bribes he has paid to me.

Anyway, I used the money to make an initial payment on the new ChiffBoat:

Here are this year's summer interns, enjoying a little spin.

No, Pipeman, for the time being, I am going to let your post stand-- to speak for itself.

For the record, I don't know Davy Stephenson from Adam's housecat. The money was transmitted to me through a numbered Swiss Account. I won't tell you the number, but it's a prime number between 45901 and 97571.
Dale
The Landlord

Post by Dale »

Let me add this serious note. I'm not going out of my way to defend Davy anymore. Something does seem to be amiss and there has been, I'm afraid, too much smoke to at least consider that there may be fire. I will continue to delete entirely personal, unsubstatiated and potentially slanderous remarks. Posts that are critical of his business practices (or those of any other) will be much more effective--I say for the 23rd time--when their tone is straightforward, factual, and NOT shrill, hysterical and full of B.S. Now, someone might rightfully say, "Dale, you are not out X amount of money by dealing with dealer z. I have a right to be angry." Correct. Let me again illustrate a GUIDELINE for a post that works better. This is just friendly advice.

POST 1: Pipemaker Dick Cheney took my $4000 and has yet to deliver on the goods. What a freakin' charlatan! I been robbed! This man must be a drunk and a conman!

POST 2: Pipemaker Dick Cheney promised to make and send me a set of x pipes. In February 2001 he received my money with a promise to deliver sometime in 2003. I began emailing him in mid-2003 and have emailed him approximately 7 times. The first time he promised a delivery in September or October 2003. Then I no longer got replies to my email. I phoned his shop on four occasions and left messages for him which have not been returned. As of this date, he has my money and I have neither my pipes or any useful communication from this maker. Needless to say, I am angry and I believe I have reason to question this man's business practices.

Which post do you think works better? Granted, many will avoid pipemaker Cheney based on post 1. Many more probably will based on post 2. Post 2 provides much more information and is therefore much more credible. The first could be written by a lunatic. No one can judge whether the fault lies with the maker or a lunatic customer with unreasonable expectations.

You may say, as some have said on this board in the past, "Why should I bother to sit down a write a post like #2?" Answer: Because I am a moderator of the board and I say so. Otherwise, I'll reserve the right to delete posts on the order of #1.
glauber

Post by glauber »

What happened to the old Chiffboat?

On the Internet, nobody knows you're a dog!
--Wellsprings--
Dale
The Landlord

Post by Dale »

Wouldn't hold enough interns.

The End.
AlanB
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Post by AlanB »

'Pipe'mans awesome post has a glaring flaw in it.............

Answers below please. or to my private Island I bought with 'bigupping pipemakers brown envelope backhanders'
rorybbellows
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Post by rorybbellows »

Wise by name wise by nuture
I,m impressed

RORY
TnWhistler

Post by TnWhistler »

Well, I guess I should have ordered my pipes from Dick Chaney or Adam's Cat.

I did order a chanter a year or so ago, and got nothing. Talked to him once last year, e-mailed him twice. Once answered me that he was holding my money order for when he got better. Last month I e-mailed him asking for my money back and have heard nothing.

Needless to say I am angry and question the business practices of this man. (did I get it right Dale?)

Timmy
innerhand

Post by innerhand »

Does he still hold his workshop? Someone talked to him recently?

I'm still waiting and want to have his pipes, but mayby must start to think asking him for refundment :cry: