New Low D soon available - Sweetheart wooden

The Ultimate On-Line Whistle Community. If you find one more ultimater, let us know.
Tyghress
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

New Low D soon available - Sweetheart wooden

Post by Tyghress »

I was over at Ralph Sweet's not long ago, and had the opportunity to play their new low D whistle. I have three low D's myself: a Cook PVC, Burke aluminum and Kerry nontunable aluminum. I've played an Overton low D and Copeland. As a lover of wood, of course I have a definite bias to the new Sweetheart right off the bat, but I'd like to give a few first impressions anyway.

Visually -- well, its wood and I love wood. I played maple whistles and a rosewood. The bore is conical, and the tuning slide is wood against a cork sleeve (hence, I believe, the strenghtening bulge that some people object to), and the windway is curved. I don't remember what the fipple plug was constructed of, but I believe it was another wood.

I loved the tone which was not loud, and the tuning was as precise as my ear could discern. The whistle was nicely balanced in my hands, and I had no problem with reach, though my hands are relatively small. I could pop registers without too much problem, though I did have to tongue to go from low to high G, A and B. There was moderate back pressure, nothing that got in my way. I don't try for anything too fancy on low whistles, so I can't speak to responsiveness. The bell note was quieter then expected, but not drastically so.

What struck me -- more so later when I got home and picked up my own low D's -- was that I was able to play the Sweetheart for nearly 45 minutes and not feel winded or have finger fatigue. To me that is a tremendous plus! No huffing and puffing to finish a set, no having to set it aside after only a few minutes.

I'd really like the opportunity to have a whistle for a few weeks to play it in different moods and situations, but I wasn't able to do so with these, and monetary circumstances have put an end to all whistle purchases. Anyway, I just want to say that you're getting my opinions and observations based on one afternoon, not a long test period.

Only a few whistles were produced; I believe 4-6 were being sent out to Song of the Sea (no, I don't work for them either...no kickbacks, just a couple of days a year hanging out playing every instrument they'll let me get my hands on!) so if you're interested you may take an e-stroll over there.
Remember, you didn't get the tiger so it would do what you wanted. You got the tiger to see what it wanted to do. -- Colin McEnroe
jim stone

Post by jim stone »

Thanks, really interesting. A rosewood low D whistle
would be fun to check out, and I like the Sweetmaple
D folkflute very well.
Jack

Post by Jack »

Wow.

Do you know if it'll be available in laminate?
Tyghress

Post by Tyghress »

Cranberry wrote:Wow.

Do you know if it'll be available in laminate?
I could nearly guarantee that. Walt is enamored of the laminate. I think its called something like Dymondwood.
Remember, you didn't get the tiger so it would do what you wanted. You got the tiger to see what it wanted to do. -- Colin McEnroe
brewerpaul
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Post by brewerpaul »

Holy Guacamole! Any idea what they will be selling for? No info on Ralph's site, or Song of the Sea.
I just did a search for Dymondwood and am majorly impressed with this stuff. It comes in all sorts of psychedelic color combos too. I wrote to the makers and asked them for a couple of samples to see if I can turn it down thin enough for my own whistles. Anyone interested in a rainbow whistle.....?
Got wood?
http://www.Busmanwhistles.com
Let me custom make one for you!
Tony
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: I used to play pipes about 20 years ago and suddenly abducted by aliens.
Not sure why... but it's 2022 and I'm mysteriously baack...

Post by Tony »

Dymondwood is a trademark name for a processed wood product where layers of died/stained veneers are compressed and bonded together with resin. Available in many beautiful colors and configurations, Dymondwood is often used in jewlery, turned pens and carved knife handles.

Loren
Tell us something.: You just slip out the back, Jack
Make a new plan, Stan
You don't need to be coy, Roy
Just get yourself free
Hop on the bus, Gus
You don't need to discuss much
Just drop off the key, Lee
And get yourself free

Post by Loren »

This stuff has been around for quite a while - 15-18 years ago there was a company making drumsticks from it.

Loren
Bretton
Tell us something.: I've been playing whistle for a very long time, but never seem to get any better than I was about 10 years ago. I'm okay with that. :)

Post by Bretton »

Let us know if it works out Paul. I wouldn't mind a whistle that looked like that.

:party: