Windwood bamboo flute in Eb - a review

The Chiff & Fipple Irish Flute on-line community. Sideblown for your protection.
AaronMalcomb
antispam: No

Windwood bamboo flute in Eb - a review

Post by AaronMalcomb »

NB: I am by no means a flute expert by virtue of playing experience nor by experience with flutes. I primarily play an Olwell D in bamboo and that will be the basis for much of the review.

The flute was made by William Miller of Windwood Flutes (website unavailable). I heard of William here on C&F via his posts on a thread about bamboo flutemaking. I emailed him and asked about Eb and F flutes. He said he had Eb's that were what he called good-players meaning played well up to the 3rd octave but not a big sound. He said he was working on a batch of honkers and emailed when they were done. After a PayPal transaction I had the flute 3 days later. He's making some F-flutes in his next batch.

Visual Presentation: This flute has a rough-n-ready look to it. It doesn't have the highly polished finish of the Olwell and the bore isn't quite as smooth. The tone holes and embouchure are cleanly finished though not bevelled like Olwell's. There is also a bit of a bow to this piece of bamboo and you can see all of the natural speckles and colors of the bamboo. As you can see in the pic there's a nice, simple motif added. It came with a nice, drawstring bag made of a tapestry-like fabric.

The tone holes are ergonomically offset much smaller than the Olwell's though I don't know if it's design or a function of the pitch. The embouchure is offset too and is oval shaped whereas the Olwell's is more of a rounded rectangle. Addendum: I need to add that the embouchure is also a bit larger. It wasn't a problem for me but others may frown on it.

So it doesn't have the professional look of the Olwell but goes for a more natural look... like a piece of bamboo.

Tone and Playabilty: I thought the Eb bell note would decieve me but it popped out loud and clear without much effort. It plays up to 3rd octave Eb very easily and cleanly. I tried the 3rd octave fingerings up to A. It made musical sounds but whether they were in tune is beyond my knowledge though it didn't take a lot of effort to play them.

Volume is strong and the bottom Eb has a hard edge to it like you would want out of a hard D though you play it softer if you want. I tried some of the octave drills mentioned in another thread which worked well. The second octave Eb barks nicely too so the flute lives up to it's honker moniker.

The flute responds well to glottals, cuts, taps, triplets, and cranns... as good as the Olwell anyways. No embouchure contortions are needed. I just use the same, semi-relaxed embouchure I use on my Olwell with good results.

I tried playing a couple slow airs along with some Highland piping recordings. This was successful considering Highland pipes are around 10 cents sharp of Bb. So it wasn't bang on but I think it would work well with Bb smallpipes or Lowland pipes since they tend to be closer to true Bb.

As far as tone and playability are concerned I consider this flute up to par with my Olwell.

Customer Service: William is very prompt and cordial. He does the Ren-Fest circuit so he is often away from his workshop for weeks at a time. He just left for the Florida Rennaissance Festival on the 25th but made sure he got my flute out before then. I had a good experience with the purchase and would gladly do it again.

Summary: This is a great flute. I feel it is well worth the US$55. If you are looking for a great bamboo flute and like or don't mind the au natural finish, William's flutes are a good option. If a professional finish is a priority you may want to hold out for an Olwell. I think if William did a professional finish like Pat Olwell, there'd be some serious competition.

Cheers,
Aaron

P.S. For those who love the smell of bamboo I found William's flute to have a more pungent and less sweet smell than my Olwell. I would compare it like an Indian curry versus a Thai curry.

(Edited to include addendum under Visual Presentation section)
Last edited by AaronMalcomb on Wed Jan 28, 2004 10:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.
AaronMalcomb

Post by AaronMalcomb »

Image doesn't seem to be working but that's what I get for hosting it on a public website. Click here to have a look.

Cheers,
Aaron
Blackbeer
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by Blackbeer »

OK I admit it My name is Tom and I am a bamboo flute junky. There I feel much better now.
Nice review Aaron, I also recieved an Eb from William on Monday. I spent all day on it yesterday and he gave me exactly what I asked for. I think the key here is the fact that we talked about what I was looking for in a bamboo Eb. Now in his pamplet it states that there is an additionel charge for that kind of treatment to the tune of 20 bucks but he waved the extra 20 and that was realy nice. So if you want what I got it`s going to cost you 75 bucks. The flute I got is a total blast to play, with a bell note that will raddle windows. Its as easy to play as the Olwell and I am happy as a clam with it. Just don`t take it for granted that just by ordering one it will be this good. Talk to William, very nice guy, and work out what you want. I waited about 7 weeks for mine. So, just a little additional info in case you want it.

Tom
jim stone

Post by jim stone »

Is this fellow making D flutes, too?
How does one reach him?
Thanks for the helpful review.
AaronMalcomb

Post by AaronMalcomb »

William posted this email, yillbrillem@earthlink.net , on the forum so repeating it shouldn't be a problem.

Tom makes a good point about getting special care from William. I think because he's interested in getting some more business William's willing to sell some of us his best work for regular price just to get some good word-of-mouth. Even good bamboo can split so you always want your flutemaker's best.

I didn't mention in my review that the embouchure hole is a little larger (I'll edit that into my review). I didn't find it troublesome but others may find that to be a detractor. I haven't had exposure to any large embouchures but I've read that it can weaken a flute's tone. I'll leave that for others to comment.

Cheers,
Aaron
AKA Nantoka

Billy Miller contact info & website

Post by AKA Nantoka »

hi there,

just wanted to write to say thanks for the reviews, we really appreciate getting feedback about the flutes that Billy makes.

about a year ago I started putting together a website for Billy to barter for one of his modified shakuhachi, AKA quenahachi

I am still barterin' away to put credits in my Windwood Flutes account as I have become a pretty serious quenahachi addict in the past year...

anyway the site, which is still under refinement, can be found at
www.windwoodflutes.com

this is a work in progress which will eventually include online tutorials, audio samples, and an image library

there is a little of all that now but it is not very extensive.

bye, thanks a lot for your posts. they are much appreciated.

-Suzy Nees
ideapark.org & windwood flutes
Floyd, Virginia

ps. Billy's new email address is billy@ideapark.org

---...---
Jayhawk
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: Well, just trying to update my avatar after a decade. Hope this counts! Ok, so apparently I must babble on longer.

Post by Jayhawk »

Thanks Aaron... :swear: ...now I want one of these.
I thought I had been cured of FLOA.

Eric
AaronMalcomb

Post by AaronMalcomb »

Wow, that was a blast from the past.
Jayhawk
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: Well, just trying to update my avatar after a decade. Hope this counts! Ok, so apparently I must babble on longer.

Post by Jayhawk »

You're right Aaron - I didn't even notice the dates on the early posts...but saying you only play an Olwell bamboo should have been a clue!

I still think I want one..

Eric
yillbrillem

Post by yillbrillem »

Hi Aaron (and all) - if you're wondering why this is coming up again after so long... well, I'm slack?... Actually, my fiancé Suzy is to blame. She just recently put together a web site for me and when we googled it to see what happened, your post came up number five Aaron! Somehow I never got back to the forum back then to respond and it must have gotten buried soon after.

Anyways, thanks Aaron for your kind review. Hope you're still enjoying it. Last year a fellow from Germany ordered an Eb and now I'm realizing it must have been your review... I just got an e-mail from a chap in Spain today about an Eb and I suspect the same, so much thanks... (I really try to not take advantage of the forum for advertising purposes but I probably should send Dale a free flute or two!)

I do torch the flutes on occasion now if anyone prefers a darker finish, and am happy to even give them an extra coat of lacquer (for Chiffers, anything at all to be of service!)... and yes, I do save back the best players for folks like you. I think in any given run of instruments, even if it's a Martin D28, you'll have some that just sing.

Speaking of Eb flutes, I recently posted an mp3 of a tune using one of my bamboo Ebs with a Boston based group called "Archetribe". It's loosely based on "Dunmore Lasses" but has a lot of improvisation and some great percussion work. It's a free download (called "Passages") and available via www.billymiller.net (If you're a hard core Celtoid, you may not appreciate this one, but there's some other more trad. stuff on there as well.) I also just uploaded a bunch of images of my flute making operation (bamboo harvesting, etc.) via flickr that aren't on the windwood site if anyone's interested in seeing how it's done... http://www.flickr.com/photos/yillb/

... oh, and yes, I do make "D"s as well (-;

Thanks again,
Cheers, Billy
Chinese proverb: “If thy neighbour offends thee, give his children gifts of drums.”

www.windwoodflutes.com
Doug_Tipple
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Post by Doug_Tipple »

Very interesting photos, Billy. I tried putting holes in bamboo with a hot poker, like is shown in the photos. However, what the photos don't reveal is the smell of the burning bamboo, a smell that is more than I can take. It reminds me of my childhood when I got a wood burning set for Christmas. I'm sure that people all over the world have been making reed and bamboo flutes this way for thousands of years. It is good to see someone carrying on an old tradition.
Last edited by Doug_Tipple on Tue Nov 21, 2006 9:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.
yillbrillem

Post by yillbrillem »

Doug, if you look closely you'll see a hood and an exhaust fan surrounding the "torch zone". Bamboo smoke is extremely noxious. I've had requests to do demonstrations at craft shows, etc., and the smoke and fire is nothing to fool with, so I generally just bring a couple of tools along and explain the process without the smoke. Otherwise customers may end up looking like this... :boggle:
Chinese proverb: “If thy neighbour offends thee, give his children gifts of drums.”

www.windwoodflutes.com
legolas

Post by legolas »

Who else get flutes from William Miller ?
What does other player think about his flutes?
I contact him and i hope i get some response, i think what i need is a simple system flute and William Miller is a good flute maker.
I am also lookig for another maker Doug Tipple, please help me to choose one of these respective flute maker.
I contact William Miller but not hte other maker because i do not know his/her email.
Thanks
jim stone

Post by jim stone »

You can e mail Doug Tipple at dougsflutes@gmail.com