SF Low Whistle Fest!!!! 1/10

The Ultimate On-Line Whistle Community. If you find one more ultimater, let us know.
IDAwHOa
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: I play whistles. I sell whistles. This seems just a BIT excessive to the cause. A sentence or two is WAY less than 100 characters.

SF Low Whistle Fest!!!! 1/10

Post by IDAwHOa »

I will have, on loan, a low d whistle from a well known maker for a couple of weeks in January. I also have a few other low d's and low whistles. A couple of others have already expressed an interest in an activity like this, to try my Overton and do other loe whistle comparisons.

Is anyone else game?

It does not have to be as big as our last shindig. I just would like to play this whistle up against as many others as I can to get a good feel for its abilities.

Location is in SF.

Jan. 10 2-6 pm or so.

Let me know if you plan to attend. This is shaping up to be quite the event.

Edited to expand this to SESSION level! With an emphasis on low whistles.

Edited to beg for a Guitar or Fiddle player to attend.
Last edited by IDAwHOa on Sun Jan 04, 2004 12:23 am, edited 5 times in total.
Steven - IDAwHOa - Wood Rocks

"If you keep asking questions.... You keep getting answers." - Miss Frizzle - The Magic School Bus
IDAwHOa
Tell us something.: I play whistles. I sell whistles. This seems just a BIT excessive to the cause. A sentence or two is WAY less than 100 characters.

Post by IDAwHOa »

We have settled on a date of January 10th and a location of San Francisco for this event. Time of 2-6 pm. The host will post how to optain directions.

I have arranged for at least two other low D whistles to be there as well.

Oh what the heck, bring your high whistles too! :lol:

"If you keep asking questions.... You keep getting answers." - Miss Frizzle - The Magic School Bus
stiofan
Tell us something.: I've been a C&Fer since 2003. Currently playing wooden flute & (mainly low) whistles, along with the bowed dulcimer.

Bay area low whistle gathering - location

Post by stiofan »

The first (annual?) Bay area low whistle festival will be at my place in San Francisco on Saturday Jan 10 - the neighborhood where I live - Cole Valley, is near Golden Gate Park, the Haight, Twin Peaks, etc. Email me for address & directions. Looking forward to seeing some of you there and playing some tunes together!

Happy Holidays -

Stephen
email: stiofansf@yahoo.com
DCrom

Post by DCrom »

Drat! Didn't see this until today - I would have lobbied for one of the other possible dates.

Wish I could come, but I'll have to give this a miss - I already have a commitment for that date.

Have fun, all.
OutOfBreath
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by OutOfBreath »

Of course, all of the above assumes that there will still be a bay area by then :)

Well, actually, I guess there will be a bay area, it just may be Tahoe :lol: :lol: :lol:

I remember when I lived on the "left coast" we used to say that when the big one hit everything east of the Sierras was going to slide into the Atlantic...
John
-------
The Internet is wonderful. Surely there have always been thousands of people deeply concerned about my sex life and the quality of my septic tank but before the Internet I never heard from any of them.
IDAwHOa

Post by IDAwHOa »

OutOfBreath wrote:I remember when I lived on the "left coast" we used to say that when the big one hit everything east of the Sierras was going to slide into the Atlantic...
I remember hearing that too. Fortunately, I don't think we are going anywhere really soon! :D

jonharl

Post by jonharl »

Boy Howdy, I'd sure like to go but I've got a previoua appointment with my son to go to an event that Saturday. I'm sorry I've got to miss it.
Jon
IDAwHOa

Post by IDAwHOa »

To sweeten the pot (and to bribe you into attending) there will be a couple of door prizes available for attendees. One of the whistle crafters that was sending me an evaluation whistle has decided to include additional ones for the attendees. I do not know how many and I will not reveal the source until the date.

If there are more attendees than whistles we will figure out a fair way to distrubute them. Maybe throw them into the middle of the floor and have a good ol' game of "You Get What You Grab?" :twisted:

I really hope to see more of you there.

IDAwHOa

Post by IDAwHOa »

Stephen, the host for this event in SF has asked that I request a guitar or fiddle player please attend. J Palmer or anyone else available?

The Weekenders

Post by The Weekenders »

Ha! What a joke! Nobody wants to be the "chord slave" when they could whistle, whistle, whistle. And fiddlers aren't that patient with a buncha whistlers usually.

I may come, bhoys. I have to be at a gymnastics meet up in Rancho Cordova by 7:45 that morning. SHould be home by one..so I dunno...but I will email Steve for directions etc.

Will try and drag my personal chord-slave, I mean the other Weekender, along.
LimuHead
Tell us something.: I'm not new here. I have been registered here for many years. I am not a spammer, though being from Hawaii, I do enjoy eating spam. Now the site is requiring at least 100 characters in this box. It would have been nice to know that bit of information before I hit submit the first time!

Post by LimuHead »

Hey! I found out I can attend! My band is playing that evening in SF, so it works out perfectly. Of course you're all welcome to come to my gig afterward. It's at a Hawaiian restaurant called "Hukilau" at Masonic and Geary. We'll be playing from 9 to midnight.

Since I'll be headed to a gig I'll have my guitar with me, but I have no intention of playing it at the gathering since I'll have to play it for 3 hours at the gig that evening.....

Oh, and I'll also bring my concertina and whistles, which I do intend to play!

:boggle: Free whistles, too!!! :boggle:
My CD! Click here to listen!
Whistle, uke, guitar, English concertina & more!: http://www.nowhereradio.com/onemanband
janice

Post by janice »

Ah Weeks, you lucky boyo you....everyone should have their own personal chord slave at their disposal! :lol:
stiofan
Tell us something.: I've been a C&Fer since 2003. Currently playing wooden flute & (mainly low) whistles, along with the bowed dulcimer.

a few tunes for Saturday's session/soiree

Post by stiofan »

Here's a few tunes that I thought we could try to play together on Saturday. If you have any other suggestions, feel free to pass them on or just come and play your favorites...

The Butterfly (slip jig)
The Road to Lisdoonvarna (jig)
The Monaghan Jig (jig)
Rolling in the Ryegrass (reel)
The Musical Priest (reel)
Down By the Salley Gardens (song/slow air)
Fainne Geal An Lae (slow air)
Blind Mary (slow air)
An Buachaillin Ban (slow air)