Case revelations?

A forum about Uilleann (Irish) pipes and the surly people who play them.
sturob
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8

Case revelations?

Post by sturob »

OK, I know this isn't a new topic, but I thought I'd post in case someone's had some kind of epiphany recently.

Anyone stumbled onto any particularly suitable pipe cases lately? I'm looking to house a B set. I think I am going to go out next week into the land of gun and photography stores (I am sure to find the former here in Houston) and see what I can come up with . . .

But if anyone knows anything particularly cool, please share.

Thanks.

Stuart
Fergmaun
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Post by Fergmaun »

I first had a Uilleann pipes cases Made by Savage and Hoy in England made from fibreglass, colour black, padding lined with crushed velvet, strong leather handle and locks/keys.
Sizes 31” x 11” x 5” and 33” x 13.5” x 6” contact Graham Spencer graham@savagehoy.com Cillian Ó Briain Dave William and Charles Roberts have these cases and used by many pipe player both uilleann and Northumbrian pipers.

I now use Andreas Rogge case www.uilleann-pipes.de for my Full set C, B, D chanter plus Low A G and high C B Bb E D whistles

NPU sell cases also http://www.pipers.ie/shop/detail.lasso?SKU=306
Fergus Maunsell
Belfast
Ireland

http://www.myspace.com/fergusmaunsell
djm
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by djm »

Stu, I use a double shotgun case that is 51"long. That should do it. In the long run you're probably better off to get a custom-made case. Look up people who do custom guitar cases in your area. Actually, TO has a great supplier of materials for custom cases: https://www.tchweb.com/cgi-bin/TCH2.storefront/

This may get expensive if you intend to get a case for the chair as well as the pipes, however.

djm
Antaine

Post by Antaine »

I use this guy
http://members.tripod.com/stevoranger/
he advertizes them as guitar cases, but you trace your pipes (fully assembled, with the slides all the way extended) and he makes the interior fit the pipes. Best part is, you never even have to knock your drones out of tune to put them away, never mind this nonsense about loose bass reg reeds floating around... :o
Jim McGuire

Post by Jim McGuire »

Your choice in shotgun cases is between the breakdown (guns and pipes)34" case (the NPU/Froment case) or extended case 51-52".

Depth (4" minimum) is an issue, as is width (whatever works best for you but some are VERY wide).

Easy to find these online or on eBAY.
Cayden

Post by Cayden »

Whne my pipes were about to be delivered I had a flighcase custom made it's 27 inches long 9 wide and 6.5 deep fits the full C set and bellows and they won't knock about in it. For the B you'd need something slightly bigger but I 'd think it's the way to go it's as solid as anything and at the time cost me [the equivalent of] 125 Euro.
wydeboar

Post by wydeboar »

I use a trombone gig bag. This bag is very heavily padded and is much lighter than a hard case. It has a long side compartment for the trombone slide in which I usually stash the end piece from the bass drone, whistles, etc. I think that the bass reg piece would also fit in there if I had one. Everything else fits inside ok.
Pat Cannady

Post by Pat Cannady »

I know I'd rather put my B set in a hard case. A Wooff set can and probably will last long after its original owner joins the big tionol in the sky. It only makes sense to take care of it by putting it in a proper case, with hard sides, adequate room, and plenty of padding.
sturob

Post by sturob »

That's what I'm thinking. I actually have a Ray Doherty bagpipe flight case intended for highland pipes but which might be the perfect size. I can't imagine its being all that airline friendly, though.

Is that Seth Gallagher flight case big enough for a flat set, do you think?

Stuart
Jim McGuire

Post by Jim McGuire »

Getting them on a plane may or may not be a consideration for you. The 4" height would allow you to get them into an overhead. 34" cases do not technically make it into the cabin as they over extend the airline limits for carryon but most airlines allow them. If they do allow the pipes on board, they do get particular about other carryons that you might have.

Being patient and courteous goes a long way in getting stuff on board a plane.
Tony
Tell us something.: I used to play pipes about 20 years ago and suddenly abducted by aliens.
Not sure why... but it's 2022 and I'm mysteriously baack...

Post by Tony »

I know a touring bass player who took a heavy padded gig bag sized 48" x 18" x 4" as carry-on regularly.
djm
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by djm »

That's because airport baggage handlers are infamous for their apathy towards musicians, and regularly trash any luggage that remotely resembles a guitar, amp, or speaker cabinet case. Many guitarists will go so far as to book a seat for their instrument rather than leave it at the hands of the baggage handlers. ATA rating on instrument cases is a serious value.

djm
Tony
Tell us something.: I used to play pipes about 20 years ago and suddenly abducted by aliens.
Not sure why... but it's 2022 and I'm mysteriously baack...

Post by Tony »

This guy was always able to store it in the Flight attendant's area and (to my knowledge) never had to purchase a seat for the bass. My full set fits (assembled) into my bass gig-bag of similar size.
Last night I went to a party and fit a full set into a rectangular viola case with drone and bass regular reed cap (and reed) removed.
Jim McGuire

Post by Jim McGuire »

Even the flight attendant's space is limited and that is why going out with a case that fits into the overhead works.

I have seen huge paintings go on aircraft, too.
Pat Cannady

Post by Pat Cannady »

Jim McGuire wrote:
Being patient and courteous goes a long way in getting stuff on board a plane.
So does booking for offpeak times, getting there early, and requesting a seat assignment near the back of the plane (they let you on right after passengers in need of assistance and first class). I've carried my pipes on numerous times in a long box. The trick is planning, getting there early, and knowing the airline you're flying. Book ones that tend to not notice musical instruments that exceed stated size limits but still fit neatly in the overhead bins.

Most carriers are OK. There are one or two to avoid if possible. British Airways comes to mind, Delta is another. America West once made D'Arcy check his Wooff set, but that may have been an anomaly. I would have been livid.