Review: Casey Burns Beginner's Flute

The Ultimate On-Line Whistle Community. If you find one more ultimater, let us know.
jim stone

Review: Casey Burns Beginner's Flute

Post by jim stone »

Here's a review of the new Casey Burns beginner's flute, which sells for 250 dollars. I'm posting it here as well as on the fluteboard,
because I reckon some people here may be interested in beginning flute.
A couple of weeks ago I asked on the fluteboard if anybody could review it. Immediately Casey asked me to review it and sent me one to keep. I've checked my opinions with others, including an excellent flutist, to be sure that I'm uninfluenced by gratitude. My chief credential is that I'm as close to a beginner as someone could be who might write an informed review, having played flute for about a year. Also I own most of the other beginner's flutes, including a Dixon three-piece polymer and a Sweetheart maple, both of which I like very well. I'm writing this review with beginners in mind.

The flute is made of mopane, which looks good and has a warm, rich, woody sound. The flute is made simply and in two pieces, with good craftsmanship throughout. It's entirely made of wood,
except that the tenon is thread wrapped. It has the weight and heft of an expensive blackwood flute (it's about as heavy as the Dixon), along with the look of something made well and simply of a brown wood with a flowing grain.

Two features are especially notable. First the flute sounds warm, full, and woody in both octaves, with good volume. It's easy to play and it goes easily into the second octave. It's well in tune. There is a strong low D. One can press on the flute, get a 'dirty' or 'hard' sound; it plays like an Irish flute. The sound compares favorably with anything in its price range.

Second, the finger spacing is significantly closer than on the Dixon and the Sweetheart, especially for the right hand. Beginners nervous about the hand stretch on an Irish flute will find this welcome. Also, the G hole on the left hand is rotated slightly outward. Casey is very good at making flutes people can play, and this will be a blessing for many beginners. The flute is uncommonly comfortable in a way that facilitates playing it fast.

Casey points out on his website that this flute isn't meant as a replacement for a performance-level flute. I've compared it to his 450 dollar mopane flute. The beginner's flute sounds less good, but it's a close second. Mopane isn't blackwood, to my ear; I prefer the latter--though mopane flutes are fine. But taken for what it is, the beginner's flute is remarkable. Here is a good looking, strong sounding, easy playing and handling wooden Irish flute for 250 dollars. A great idea, well executed, and worth more than its price.
brewerpaul
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Post by brewerpaul »

I looked at these on Casey's site, and they look excellent indeed.
From an instrument makers perspective, Mopane is wonderful stuff. Hard as a rock, and it turns beautifully requiring virtually no sanding. It comes off the lathe tool looking almost like plastic. Plus ( for me at least) it LOOKS like wood. I personally find Blackwod too Delrin-like in appearance.
I think any sound difference between Mopane and Blackwood might be subjective-- I would love to play two identical flutes by the same maker in both woods side by side to see if there was indeed an audible difference
Got wood?
http://www.Busmanwhistles.com
Let me custom make one for you!
jim stone

Post by jim stone »

My chief problem with mopane flutes is that when they
are finished in a sort of dark color I want to eat them.
PhilO
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by PhilO »

Jim, I've been toying with the idea of beginning flute and have been told by many that an Olwell bamboo low F is the best for a beginner, in terms of not being so difficult to get some decent steady sound out of and as to quality for the price. Problem is, I haven't been able to get one. How does this one compare to the Olwell, if you know? (Besides costing about 3x as much) Thanks.

PhilO
"This is this; this ain't something else. This is this." - Robert DeNiro, "The Deer Hunter," 1978.
Wombat

Post by Wombat »

PhilO wrote:Jim, I've been toying with the idea of beginning flute and have been told by many that an Olwell bamboo low F is the best for a beginner, in terms of not being so difficult to get some decent steady sound out of and as to quality for the price. Problem is, I haven't been able to get one. How does this one compare to the Olwell, if you know? (Besides costing about 3x as much) Thanks.

PhilO
I've just started on flute. I have a Casey Burns on the way (on loan) but a more pricey model. I've been told that this is the wooden flute to begin on. I have an Alan Mount D and Olwell bamboo D and F. They are all nice flutes which I enjoy already. The Olwell F is easily the easiest to play. Alan's D is easier than the Olwell D though: the stretch on the latter is quite considerable.

Olwell bamboos can't be ordered until about April or May but crop up regularly here. Three Ds at least have been advertised in the last couple of months. If you can't get an Olwell try Tallgrass.
Loren
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: You just slip out the back, Jack
Make a new plan, Stan
You don't need to be coy, Roy
Just get yourself free
Hop on the bus, Gus
You don't need to discuss much
Just drop off the key, Lee
And get yourself free

Post by Loren »

Phil, I know you won't take my advice, but here it is anyway:

Olwell bamboo flutes are fantastic, however they don't play or sound like a wooden flute. I believe I know your tastes enough to know that you really wouldn't be satisfied with a bamboo flute of any sort for long. Sure, it'll amuse you for a few weeks, but you'll find you HAVE to have a wooden flute. Also, knowing you, a "Beginner's" wooden flute isn't going to cut it for you either, your too spoiled having played many of the best whistles out there.

So, in all seriousness, do yourself a favor and just go strait to ordering a flute from Dave Copley: His prices are reasonable, as is his relatively short waiting list, and that will be all the flute you ever need, more important, you will find yourself entirely satisfied with the sound, playability and workmanship, to the point that you shouldn't feel the need to purchase another flute.

I think many folks would be well served and quite happy with a budget flute, and I'm glad to see more of them out there, but you Phil, have expensive tastes :lol:

Loren
chas
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Post by chas »

brewerpaul wrote:Plus ( for me at least) it LOOKS like wood. I personally find Blackwod too Delrin-like in appearance.
I think any sound difference between Mopane and Blackwood might be subjective-- I would love to play two identical flutes by the same maker in both woods side by side to see if there was indeed an audible difference
I'm glad I'm not the only one who's not crazy about the look of blackwood. I love it when it's new and you can still see some grain that somehow looks like it's very deep within the wood. Mopane is SO lovely, though.

I'm convinced that there are fundamental differences between the standard flute woods. I haven't played a mopane flute, but boxwood to me seems much warmer and blackwood much clearer, with cocobolo somewhere between.

Casey's flutes have been getting a lot of good reviews on the flute board. I'm seriously thinking of one of his as my "final" flute.
Charlie
Whorfin Woods
"Our work puts heavy metal where it belongs -- as a music genre and not a pollutant in drinking water." -- Prof Ali Miserez.
jim stone

Post by jim stone »

Yes, I believe that different woods have different sounds.
Mopane is warm and full, blackwood more focused,
boxwood warm and (somehow) focused. It is indeed
subjective, and I favor blackwood--though I would
like to play a boxwood D, I have a G and like it.
I like mopane, too.

I agree with Loren--bamboo flutes and the CB are apples
and oranges. The CB is conical, and it does what Irish flutes
do. Olwell bamboos do something else that one might
want and enjoy.

I also agree with Loren's endorsement of Dave
Copley's flutes.
Wombat

Post by Wombat »

Loren wrote:
So, in all seriousness, do yourself a favor and just go strait to ordering a flute from Dave Copley: His prices are reasonable, as is his relatively short waiting list, and that will be all the flute you ever need, more important, you will find yourself entirely satisfied with the sound, playability and workmanship, to the point that you shouldn't feel the need to purchase another flute.

I think many folks would be well served and quite happy with a budget flute, and I'm glad to see more of them out there, but you Phil, have expensive tastes :lol:

Loren
Couldn't agree more Loren. But what's he going to play before the Copley arrives? :wink:
skh

Post by skh »

Jim,

on the pictures on Casey Burns' website it looks like the beginners flute has strange cutoffs on the far side of the embouchure holes, like some sort of ridges in the wood. Does your flute have these, and what are they for?

Also, I must admit that I'm going for looks more than I expected to do - it just looks weird to me. Doesn't mean anything, of course.

thanks,

Sonja
Shut up and play.
jim stone

Post by jim stone »

Thanks for pointing this out. I checked the picture on the
website. The 'cutoffs' are put there to improve the
sound, but the flute Casey sent me doesn't have them.I've seen plenty of his flutes with em and they look
fine to me. If you don't want em, you can say so.
I really don't know for sure what impact they have
on tone.

Visually the beginner's flute is very nice, a real
strength, I would say, but not as nice looking as
the next grade up. There's no end cap, you look
inside and see the cork. The starfish imprint
on CB's flutes is absent. But to my taste it
compares favorably to the alternatives in its
price range and is a nice looking flute by
any standard. Looks like it was designed
by Shakers. 'Tis the gift to be simple.'
Loren
Make a new plan, Stan
Just get yourself free
Hop on the bus, Gus
And get yourself free

Post by Loren »

Wombat wrote: Couldn't agree more Loren. But what's he going to play before the Copley arrives? :wink:
One of those hundred or so whistles he owns - I should think he could find something in there to keep him occupied :roll: lol.

Loren
PhilO

Post by PhilO »

Loren, it deeply pains me to say this, but you're rrrrrrrrrr..ri....g..hh...tttt. And I have so taken your advice many times (I just never let you know it before). :lol:

Be well,

PhilO
"This is this; this ain't something else. This is this." - Robert DeNiro, "The Deer Hunter," 1978.
Loren
Make a new plan, Stan
Just get yourself free
Hop on the bus, Gus
And get yourself free

Post by Loren »

PhilO wrote:Loren, it deeply pains me to say this, but you're rrrrrrrrrr..ri....g..hh...tttt. And I have so taken your advice many times (I just never let you know it before). :lol:

Be well,

PhilO
Aww shucks, well in that case :oops:

Happy holidays my friend :)

Loren
illuminatus99

Post by illuminatus99 »

brewerpaul wrote:I looked at these on Casey's site, and they look excellent indeed.
From an instrument makers perspective, Mopane is wonderful stuff. Hard as a rock, and it turns beautifully requiring virtually no sanding. It comes off the lathe tool looking almost like plastic. Plus ( for me at least) it LOOKS like wood. I personally find Blackwod too Delrin-like in appearance.
I've played 3 of caseys flutes side by side, one in mopane, one in blackwood and one in boxwood, the blackwood was very dark and focused, the boxwood was very open and resonant, and the mopane was kind of in between, almost more like rosewood.