OT: Computer Virus Question

The Ultimate On-Line Whistle Community. If you find one more ultimater, let us know.
sturob
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8

OT: Computer Virus Question

Post by sturob »

I know this is OT, but you're a group of computer-savvy individuals . . .

Anyone else getting a TON of email today with *.pif files, about 70K, as attachments? Looks like some kind of virus something. I have a Mac, and I assume this is a Windows virus. . .

Am I just out of the loop and this is some well-known thing? Just delete them all?

Stuart
sturob

Post by sturob »

Answered my own question! If you're interested, check this link.

Stuart
msheldon
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by msheldon »

Yeah, it's a modification of an older virus. (I hate comebacks)

I had to set up some scripts to automatically throw them away. I manage a several dozen domains, and was just getting *buried* in the stupid things.
Michael Sheldon
Outside of a dog, a man's best friend is a good book.
Inside of a dog, it's too dark to read.
Blayne Chastain
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Post by Blayne Chastain »

carrie

Post by carrie »

I'm getting a ton of these emails as well, all of which I deleted. I opened one email but not the attachment. As long as I haven't opened the attachment, am I okay? I can't seem to get into some of my inboxes all of a sudden.

Thanks.

Carol
Chuck_Clark

Post by Chuck_Clark »

I figured something new was going on. I subscribe to McAfee antivirus (the best $20 bucks a year I can imagine) and they've been putting out upgrades on average every other day. One day last week they upgraded twice!

Yesterday it paid for itself. Caught and killed a total of eight virus-laden e-mails in a single session.
lddulcimer

Post by lddulcimer »

My wife started getting these emails this morning. AVG Anti-virus (Free!) caught them all. I suspect that many of our less computer-saavy friends will be infected and we will be seeing these emails for a while.
Peace.
Larry
yuzz

Post by yuzz »

I'll second that AVG free version caught all of mine too. It's available for download at http://www.grisoft.com

My first post and it's not about whistles!! :sniffle:

Yuzz
Cori

Post by Cori »

Yuzz - welcome! A whistler from my home town - how shocking! Though I guess it had to happen sooner or later.

Great to have you here!!
All we have to decide is what to do with the tune that is given us.
Tweaked from Tolkien
yuzz

Post by yuzz »

Thank you for that, Cori.
Maybe it was hearing you on the wind made me think "I can do that". squeak, squeak, squeak.
Brighton's the sort of town (oops city) where there just has to be loads of whistlers if only as an antidote to the drummers!
Martin
LeeMarsh

Post by LeeMarsh »

I'm getting hits too. Please see my other topic. <a href=http://chiffboard.mati.ca/viewtopic.php ... highlight=> OT: But Board Related - Everyone Please Help - Virus: SoBigF</a>

This virus is a royal pain. I'm not infected but there is someone, who has our e-mail addresses, that is infected. I hope folks will scan their PC's.

O well, back to anticipating the delivery of my new whistle. So I can join the rest of you as you ...
Last edited by LeeMarsh on Fri Aug 22, 2003 6:13 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Enjoy Your Music,
Lee Marsh
From Odenton, MD.
IDAwHOa
Tell us something.: I play whistles. I sell whistles. This seems just a BIT excessive to the cause. A sentence or two is WAY less than 100 characters.

Post by IDAwHOa »

I got an interesting variety of this thing today on my yahoo account. My account that I use for my whistle playing was suddenly overfull. I checked the Bulk Mail folder and found it full of these 100K files. There was one that caught my attention. It was a Mailer Daemon type that indicates a non-deliverable email. I looked, nah, don't open it. Looked again and since I have been doing a lot of communicating I went for it. Sure enough, there was the .pif file at the bottom.

*** DELETE *** and emptied the bulk mail folder.

Keep an eye out for that thing. I think as long as the .pif files are not opened I believe you will be ok though.
Steven - IDAwHOa - Wood Rocks

"If you keep asking questions.... You keep getting answers." - Miss Frizzle - The Magic School Bus
Chuck_Clark

Post by Chuck_Clark »

There were several news stories today that said SoBig's not just the nuisance they at first thought it was. Turns out there's a time bomb built into it that instructs the infected machines to download a file from somewhere (the trigger time/date was earlier today). Last I heard, they were still trying to identify and analyze the mystery file.

Moral - If you're gonna play online, you NEED a good AV program. It's no longer merely desirable but critical.
madguy

Post by madguy »

All I want to know is, what satisfaction do these lifeless computer geeks get out of screwing with other peoples' computers? They desperately need to get out in the real world, and GET A LIFE!!!

~Larry