pipecases

A forum about Uilleann (Irish) pipes and the surly people who play them.
Antaine

pipecases

Post by Antaine »

I just started using something as a pipecase and I figured I would share :D

It seems that UP cases are designed to be compact, but require too much disassembling for my tastes. Anyway there's a guy in PA with a co called I-Beam. He makes custom guitar cases to any size. You trace everything you want in the case and send him a layout and he makes a fitted case for about $150. My case holds my pipes well padded and protected (without having to even untune the drones and regs), stand, folding stool, music, supplies - well you get the idea. If I can figure out how to get a picture of it up here I'll show you the layout I used.

Am I just being obsessive, or are other pipers out there disturbed by the lack of a decent protective and convenient case?
Nicolas
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by Nicolas »

Well What I've done is using a rifle case ... it is 1m20 long and I can bear extra flutes, whistles books etc ... I did not want a case needing disassembling ... I wanted a pipe ready to play out of the box ... the only the only bad thing is that I had to buy a bigger car to take the case with me ;) ;) ;) ...

Cheers,

Nicolas.
Roger O'Keeffe
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Post by Roger O'Keeffe »

I custom-made my own wooden case, a source of considerable pride since I had no prior woodworking experience. But it's a bit big and heavy, and totally unsuitable for air travel.

Now I use an archery case, which just requires removal of the bass drone slide and still has plenty of room for whistles etc., is very light and looks quite neat and inobtrusive. It wouldn't do for checked baggage, but could if necessary be handed over (like prams, wheelchairs etc.) at the entrance to the aircraft for hold storage.
An Pluiméir Ceolmhar
Dionys

Post by Dionys »

If you want nearly indestructable (but heavy), Pelican makes a beautiful atmospherically sealed case (the Pelican 1700 (maybe II)). You can fit two full sets inside pretty easily and there is plenty of foam padding.

For day to day carrying I use a large bagpipe case from a Canadian bagpipe/scottish-shop company. All I have to remove are the bottom half of the bass/baritone drones (and conveniently there are elastic bands in the top to hold them). If you remove the included miscelaneous reed/stuff box with cover, you can fit a full set in without removing anything.

Depending on your set and the size of your bag, it's also possible to convert a bassoon case to fit your pipes. You can certainly fit a few practice sets. Depending on how your pipes are made and the size of the bassoon case, a full set might be a bit harder.

There are lots of places that make custom boxes. If you can find a good manufacturer and have the money to have a custom-made box, this is one of the best options.

As for it being overkill, it depends on how you're using your case. If you're just going locally, you don't need something completely indestructable. You just want something that someone can trip over or drop and have your pipes still be intact. If you're traveling and anticipate your pipes going under an airplane, you can't have enough metal and padding to protect it from the people who throw bags underneath. Not to mention the fact that you'll want to have strong, strong locks.

Dionys
Tir gan teanga <--> Tir gan Anam.
Tony
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: I used to play pipes about 20 years ago and suddenly abducted by aliens.
Not sure why... but it's 2022 and I'm mysteriously baack...

Post by Tony »

Pipes cases are an extremely personal issue, possibly as significant as the pipes themselves.

Having an indestructable pipe case becomes less important knowing the pipes inside can still get damaged if the case gets bounced around or dropped on an end.

While everyone would love to be able to open their pipe case and 'strap-on' without having to plug in the bass drone extension and re-tune, partly breaking down a set for travel may be safer for the pipes.

Like Dionys suggests, If you are spending the money for a custom sized case make sure there is a thick layer of foam lining on the inside. If possible, have compartments or dividers added to keep the bellows and chanter seperated.

I found this vendor on eBay who makes keyboard cases in several sizes. I think they would be better suited for Uilleann pipes than many of the others cases I've seen.

http://www.stores.ebay.com/dccaseandcab ... index.html
Antaine

Post by Antaine »

the thing I liked about this guy is that you get a fitted case, that means a padded bellows shaped compartment for the bellows, a padded chanter shaped compartment for the chanter et cetera - much like a violin or trumpet case. You trace your own instrument and it exactly fits like a glove. :boggle:

it wouldn't be suitable for airplane as it has latches (good and strong) but not locks and underneith the fabric is plywood (but very sturdy).

All in all I was amazed at what i got for 150. it weighs about 25 lbs fully loaded, but like i said i carry alot of crap in it along with the pipes.
Rick

Post by Rick »

I keep my pipes in a saxophone case as i REFUSE to walk around with a gun case.

Last time when i was at Marc van Daal's we "designed" a pipes case you
can fit a full set in and take as handlugage..
I think i'll order one of those anyway.. :D
Tak_the_whistler

Cases

Post by Tak_the_whistler »

Nice suggestions, Rick.

I'm thinking of getting a half set, and thought, would converting a Bariton sax case be big enough for a 1/2?
<><
Tak
---------------------------------------
<b>"Nothing can be yours by nature."</b>
--- Lewis
Rick

Post by Rick »

I cut some of the lining out to make room for my middle drone.
The only things i take off are the bassregulator top and the bassdrone slide.., then it fits nicely..
It even has a seperate compartment where i can stick my bellows and other stuff like pliers, tape, thread etc

No clue on what kind of sax case it is though some woman asked me if i played tenorsax once in public transport so.., probably a tenorsax case then hehe...
Imagine her face when i replied, "nah, irish bagpipes!" :)

I'd suggest taking apart your pipes to the point you like and then measuring the length.
Go out to buy a case carying a tape measure.. :)
Mypipes

Post by Mypipes »

Home Depot $40.00
tool box
has an upper tray to hold all tidbits bottom will easily fit full set but you mus diassemble pipes to a degree
cheap---pad it yourself and your ready for work. not very pretty though.
Antaine

Post by Antaine »

that was actually my first thought (home depot thinks i'm crazy), but I couldn't find one that didn't require me to disassemble the pipes less than the case they came with (removing bass drone slide, tenor drone slide, and bass regulator reed cap), and no amount of padding substituted for this:
http://members.tripod.com/stevoranger/
jqpublick

Post by jqpublick »

Rick wrote: No clue on what kind of sax case it is though some woman asked me if i played tenorsax once in public transport so.., probably a tenorsax case then hehe...
Imagine her face when i replied, "nah, irish bagpipes!" :)
I play the djembe (an african drum) as well as UPs and I was once waiting for a bus when a youngish guy walked up to me and said "Hey man, what're you carrying?". I swung the drum in its bag up so the playing end faced him, grinned and said "It's a seige cannon."

He didn't get it, but the woman standing about six feet away near peed herself laughing. :)
Mark
Tony
Tell us something.: I used to play pipes about 20 years ago and suddenly abducted by aliens.

Post by Tony »

Here are some pictures showing different approaches to cases.

For airline travel, I would probably go with this violin/viola case because it's the most compact (even though I'm forced to remove the bass regulator reed cap and reed) as there is enough room for an additional chanter and a small case for reeds. I would wrap the chanters in foam and cut foam to fill the voids.

I bought this tenor saxophone case for around $60US new and gutted the styrofoam (not finished yet) to allow room for pipes. My half set fits diagonally without removing the bass drone extension and aligns lengthwise with the extension removed. It offers plenty of room for additional chanters, tools, tape recorder, music books and a spare reed case. When completed, foam will completely insulate the pipes and seperate the bellows.

This wooden case was custom made for the pipes pictured. I asked for the smallest case (with minimal insulation) designed for local travel where removal of the bass drone extension wasn't a problem. There is enough room for an additional chanter.
Tony

Post by Tony »

Approximate dimensions in inches (Length x Width x Height):

Violin case
outside 31 x 12 x 6
inside 29 x 10 x 5

Saxophone case
outside 32 x 12.5 x 8
inside 30 x 10.5 x 6

Wood case
outside 35.5 x 8 x 6
inside 34.5 x 7 x 5
Tak_the_whistler

Post by Tak_the_whistler »

The tenor sax case tweak is cool, Tony. I'll probably experiment it myself.

:)

<><
<><
Tak
---------------------------------------
<b>"Nothing can be yours by nature."</b>
--- Lewis