Survey: Flute head position and angle

The Chiff & Fipple Irish Flute on-line community. Sideblown for your protection.
Gabriel
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8

Survey: Flute head position and angle

Post by Gabriel »

Folks,

I'm curious: how do you hold your flute, and where? I'm currently struggling to find the optimal position of flute and embouchure hole for that 'perfect' barking hard D. I find that it's easier to hit the D when I place the flute head on my lower lip (D, see below for illustrations), but playing comfort and the second octave works better with the flute head between lower lip and chin (B).

I'm interested in how you're holding your flute when playing. And do you alter positions for different 'normal' notes (ie. not for special effects like 'double' tones etc.). Please also add what type of flute you're playing, i.e. large-, medium- or small-holed, Rudall, Pratten, large embouchure hole, small hole...

Thanks in advance!

Figure:

(excuse my poor drawing skills ;))
peeplj
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by peeplj »

I don't see a difference in A and C; I think something between B and D would represent something perhaps a bit similar to my approach.

--James
http://www.flutesite.com

-------
"Though no one can go back and make a brand new start, anyone can start from now and make a brand new ending" --Carl Bard
Huliyska

Post by Huliyska »

I hold mine closest to D, but a bit lower, so the edge of my bottom lip is more or less against the edge of the hole. My top lip also sticks out way past my bottom lip, but less so when I'm playing higher notes. I don't have any other flutes to compare against, but I think mine's small-holed with a relatively small bore.
Nanohedron
Moderatorer
Tell us something.: Been a fluter, citternist, and uilleann piper; committed now to the way of the harp.

Oh, yeah: also a mod here, not a spammer. A matter of opinion, perhaps.

Post by Nanohedron »

peeplj wrote:I don't see a difference in A and C; I think something between B and D would represent something perhaps a bit similar to my approach.

--James
I almost missed it myself, but the difference between A and C is the elevation: you'll notice that the lip opening in the A example is placed higher than that in example C.

Like you, James, I'm into B&D. Oh, my. That didn't come out right at all. :wink:

Like Huliyska, my upper lip extends out past the lower. I do a combination of embouchure change and rolling when it comes to the 2nd octave, but prefer to bring the 2nd ocatve into tune without rolling when I can. One rule of thumb I go by: the embouchure focuses the higher I go, and "broadens" the lower I go, and the lowest notes get more breath force.

My flute is a Noy 8-key, supposedly Nicholson-esque body and toneholes (not so large as Pratten, maybe, but not small; some people have remarked that the toneholes are large), and a so-called "Rudall" embouchure hole. The tone is "narrower" than that of a Pratten, but all in all, I think that the optimal position for what sound you want depends quite a bit on the individual as much as on the flute.
"If you take music out of this world, you will have nothing but a ball of fire." - Balochi musician
Jayhawk
Tell us something.: Well, just trying to update my avatar after a decade. Hope this counts! Ok, so apparently I must babble on longer.

Post by Jayhawk »

I'm scared...I'm into B&D with both James and Nano - sounds a wee bit kinky.

Eric
Denny

Post by Denny »

...and they say we're boring!

me too, somewhere around B & D

Gabriel there are lots of variations that work...kinda goes with mouth, lip, bite, etc variations

One o' dem Boehm suckers has some pictures
I.D.10-t

Post by I.D.10-t »

A

But I play the fife, and am not that good.
"Be not deceived by the sweet words of proverbial philosophy. Sugar of lead is a poison."
Jon C.
Tell us something.: I restore 19th century flutes, specializing in Rudall & Rose, and early American flutes. I occasionally make new flutes. Been at it for about 15 years.

Post by Jon C. »

I think "B" when the flute has a huge emb. hole and "D" on a smaller oval hole.
"I love the flute because it's the one instrument in the world where you can feel your own breath. I can feel my breath with my fingers. It's as if I'm speaking from my soul..."
Michael Flatley

Jon
michael c

Post by michael c »

I've never really thought about it before but "A" turned just a wee bit back towards me, but not just quite as far as "D".

That gives you the whole hole to play with. Maybe move the lips a bit for getting the bottom D to bark a bit. It also depends on the flute. Trial and error is maybe the best way though. Sometimes not worrying too much about it gives the best results.

Good luck with it.
ceadach
Tell us something.: I am not spammer, I am a human being!! More power to those that foil them!!! The brown fox jumped over the red fence, for what reason, we can not tell you...

Post by ceadach »

Gabriel, your drawing isn't that bad. You can clearly see what you are aiming for. Heck, any attempts of mine would have looked like a cross between bluesman John Hurt and an Ewok of some kind. :o

I'm smack in between B and D. I have the odd need to get the very lowest part of my lower lip slightly in the hole and have the embouchure hole slightly tilted towards me, less than in the drawings.

I don't know if position this is a carryover from years of playing bansuri or a subconsciously need to find a consistent place to "set up" my lips, but it works very well for me. My position doesn't seem to vary from flute to flute. It gives me reasonable volume and wide dynamic range (if needed) and can get a broad spectrum of different tone colors.

My flute is a 6 key M&E Rudall Rose copy, which I've played for a few years now and rather pleased with. It has a 12 cm embouchure hole, ovalish and slightly asymmetrical l like the originals I've seen, with medium size tone holes. It does what I ask of it without undo cajoling.
One rule of thumb I go by: the embouchure focuses the higher I go, and "broadens" the lower I go, and the lowest notes get more breath force.
Elegantly put. I do much the same thing, with my upper lip slightly out over the lower. But odd as it sounds, on the lowest note, I try to focus on a very specific spot which seems to blow into and through the whole instrument getting a nice bright hard low D.

As Brother Nano implied, individual results may vary!

B&D...Jimmity Christmas! You think you know a guy after a few years.... :wink:
"Kindness is a mark of faith, and whoever has not kindness has not faith."
Muhammad

"Immature poets imitate; mature poets steal; bad poets deface what they take, and good poets make it into something better, or at least something different."
T.S. Eliot
Nanohedron
Moderatorer
Tell us something.: Been a fluter, citternist, and uilleann piper; committed now to the way of the harp.

Post by Nanohedron »

ceadach wrote:B&D...Jimmity Christmas! You think you know a guy after a few years.... :wink:
Well, I'd hate to think that there was no mystery left and the thrill was gone. :wink:
"If you take music out of this world, you will have nothing but a ball of fire." - Balochi musician
I.D.10-t

Post by I.D.10-t »

Jon C. wrote:I think "B" when the flute has a huge emb. hole and "D" on a smaller oval hole.
Does covering the embuchure change it's tuning?
"Be not deceived by the sweet words of proverbial philosophy. Sugar of lead is a poison."
jduffy
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by jduffy »

How do most of you that use B or D achieve the angle-by rotating the head forward or by keeping the hole aligned with the finger holes and simply rotating the flute?

Thanks,
Joe
Nanohedron
Moderatorer

Post by Nanohedron »

I.D.10-t wrote:
Jon C. wrote:I think "B" when the flute has a huge emb. hole and "D" on a smaller oval hole.
Does covering the embuchure change it's tuning?
More = flatter, less = sharper. Normally.
Buckeye67

Post by Buckeye67 »

I'm closest to "D", the difference being that I place the bottom line of my lower lip on the edge of the embouchure hole.
How do most of you that use B or D achieve the angle-by rotating the head forward or by keeping the hole aligned with the finger holes and simply rotating the flute?
I rotate (only) the headjoint toward me slightly.