First whistle for young musician?

The Ultimate On-Line Whistle Community. If you find one more ultimater, let us know.
mom2ponygirl
antispam: No

First whistle for young musician?

Post by mom2ponygirl »

My daughter wants to learn to play the whistle. She is an excellent piano player and singer, so has a very good handle on reading music and can carry a tune. (Thankfully she does not take after me. LOL)

She wants to add an instrument and the penny whistle satisfies her two absolute requirements - portable and not an instrument anyone she knows plays. In addition she loves Celtic music, so this seems to be a good fit. She is 11.

So what would you suggest as a first whistle? Any online vendors you would recommend, or recommend we stay away from?

Thanks!
s1m0n
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Re: First whistle for young musician?

Post by s1m0n »

Any named vendor/manufacturer will be fine. Avoid all-metal tubular whistles that look somewhat roughhewn, particularly if they're very cheap. These tend to have been made in asia, typically Pakistan, and while there are some rare good ones tend to have dodgy workmanship, approximate tuning, and perhaps lead or cadmium based solder.

The cheaper manufactured whistles like Generation and Feadog can be wonderful but occassionally suffer a bit from fit-and-finish issues which mean that not every one in a batch will sound good right out of the package and very few will sound great. The issues can usually be resolved with the appropriate know-how, so these days several folks buy, 'tweak', and resell these in guarranteed-to-work shape. This adds only a few bucks to an already cheap price, so I recommend this option. Jerry Freeman is a chiffboard member who does this. I have no connection with him and truthfully have never seen his work, but enough people have expressed satisfaction here that I think it's safe to recommend this option.
Last edited by s1m0n on Thu Mar 25, 2010 9:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.
And now there was no doubt that the trees were really moving - moving in and out through one another as if in a complicated country dance. ('And I suppose,' thought Lucy, 'when trees dance, it must be a very, very country dance indeed.')

C.S. Lewis
Denny

Post by Denny »

I'll second Jerry Freeman

You can PM, email or visit his ebay store from that link.
Picture a bright blue ball just spinning, spinning free
It's dizzying, the possibilities. Ashes, Ashes all fall down.
Mitch
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8

Post by Mitch »

Hi mom2ponygirl,

I'll 3'rd that with Jerry's whistles. Can't go wrong there.

The Mellow Dog is legendary - mellow as the name suggests .. the Blackbird is newer and more "trad" sounding.

Great to see the Celtic alure reaching new players!

(Edited to say - check out http://www.thesession.org for Celtic tunes notation in public domain .. and it can't hurt to visit the tune recordings link from this site)
All the best!

mitch
http://www.ozwhistles.com
kkrell
Tell us something.: Mostly producer of the Wooden Flute Obsession 3-volume 6-CD 7-hour set of mostly player's choice of Irish tunes, played mostly solo, on mostly wooden flutes by approximately 120 different mostly highly-rated traditional flute players & are mostly...

Post by kkrell »

I'll be the fourth to recommend a Jerry Freeman tweaked whistle, in that the selection of a quality, playable whistle is already made for you, so your daughter is least likely to become frustrated with a retail dud. They're a very good value for a reasonable entry price. I have a Blackbird in D, and one in Eb. Somehow, though, many of us still end up with some other high-end whistle for $200 more.

Kevin Krell
International Traditional Music Society, Inc.
A non-profit 501c3 charity/educational public benefit corporation
Wooden Flute Obsession CDs (3 volumes, 6 discs, 7 hours, 120 players/tracks)
https://www.worldtrad.org
Latticino

Post by Latticino »

I've heard only good things about Jerry's whistles, but if you can't lay your hands on one easily, the Susanto line is quite reliable (though somewhat loud for a new whistler). The latter may be a drawback for your household, though not for your daughter. Other decent choices would be a Parks Everywhistle, Clark Sweettone, or even an indestructible Oak (though you will get differing opinions on the latter two, I think that they are typically more than adequate for a beginner). You will want to ensure you get a whistle in the key of D, and might want to consider getting a beginners manual as well (a quick search on this board will give you a list of recommendations there. See this thread for starters: viewtopic.php?f=1&t=74985... I believe I would get the Bill Ochs book for an 11 year old).
"Experience is something you don't get until just after you need it"
Steven Wright

"Your reality, sir, is lies and balderdash and I'm delighted to say that I have no grasp of it whatsoever."
Baron Munchausen
Jason Paul

Post by Jason Paul »

My daughter is also 11.

One thing to consider is the size of her hands. I think my daughter is just now able to comfortably reach all of the holes on her Sweetone. So, a regular whistle might be a slight stretch for her. Again, your daughter may have larger hands.

However, one option to consider is Jerry's tweaked Sweetone. Because it's a conical (rather than cylindrical) whistle, the holes are slightly closer together and smaller. Plus, I think it's Jerry's least expensive whistle (not that any of them are really expensive anyway).

I agree though. Overall, getting one of Jerry's tweaked whistles is a great start. They'll play better than a stock cheap whistle, and you know that if she has any problems playing, the problem probably isn't the whistle itself.

Jason
mom2ponygirl

Post by mom2ponygirl »

Thanks so much for the great advice!
We will definitely get a tweaked whistle - there are enough variables to sort through when beginning an instrument without worrying if the whistle has an issue. I really like the looks of the Bill Ochs book as well. I've bookmarked the youtube videos(from the other thread) and The Session site as well. She should have a great start with this.

She does have smallish hands - although she reaches an octave easily on the piano. I guess where there is a will there's a way. I think we'll go for the tweaked Sweetone though to help minimize any reach issues. I have no doubt she will be buying herself a selection of whistles as time goes by. She's always loved to experiment and play with her music.

I'm sure we'll be back with more questions. :thumbsup:
Mitch

Post by Mitch »

With any instrument there will be physical adaptions to be made.

Thankfully, the high-D whistle demands the least of hands with little or no pain along the way - PLUS a truly logical navigation through 2 octaves. For myself, the navigation of the recorder was a trial in my school years - they are nice, but not for the Justice-orientation of the young mind.

The demand of a whistle is in the breath - for a young person, the inflection of voice is a primary task - the whistle co-incides with the social communication task and is nature for them.

She will be coming to grips with the hideous qwertyuiop keyboard and the back-destroying mouse - whistles are far kinder. Within their gentle nature is power also.
All the best!

mitch
http://www.ozwhistles.com
hoopy mike
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by hoopy mike »

Jason Paul wrote:One thing to consider is the size of her hands...
If she can reach all the notes on a piano, then any high whistle shouldn't be a problem.
kkrell
Tell us something.: Mostly producer of the Wooden Flute Obsession 3-volume 6-CD 7-hour set of mostly player's choice of Irish tunes, played mostly solo, on mostly wooden flutes by approximately 120 different mostly highly-rated traditional flute players & are mostly...

Post by kkrell »

You might also want to look at Brother Steve's on-line whistle tutorial: http://www.rogermillington.com/siamsa/brosteve/

I didn't check in the other thread if these were the YouTube videos you mentioned:
http://www.youtube.com/profile?user=RyanDunsSJ

The Whistle Workshop has some Instruction on tune types (airs, jigs, reels, etc.) with example music:
http://www.whistleworkshop.co.uk/

Whistle Tutor has free instruction videos, also, from beginner to advanced:
http://www.whistletutor.com/lessons

Fingering chart with alternate fingerings:
http://www.fullbodyburn.com/images/charts/01-D.jpg
GordonH

Post by GordonH »

My recommendations for beginners:

Child with small fingers - Clarke Sweettone D or Meg D

Adult - Clare D or Generation D (both of these can be variable in quality)

A lot of it is going to depend where you live and whats available locally.
mickey66
Tell us something.: I am a Professional Musician in Phx, Az. Lived in Calif(Hollywood) for about 10 years(1970's) working in the studios and on the road with stars of the day. Started to follow my roots which took me back to the old country and the Irish Tin Whistle. I wound up here on C&F forum!

Post by mickey66 »

This may help ya..... Jerry Freeman Pennywhistles
P.O. Box 191
Coventry, CT 06238
Telephone: (860)498-0014
E-mail: jerry@tcenet.net PS: You can buy direct with a check if you like just email or call him....He is a very nice guy to deal with.
GordonH

Post by GordonH »

He also has an Ebay store:

http://stores.ebay.com/freemanwhistles

Asuming thats the real Jerry Freeman!?
Denny

Post by Denny »

I could use bigger letters :poke:
Picture a bright blue ball just spinning, spinning free
It's dizzying, the possibilities. Ashes, Ashes all fall down.