Honest critiques/suggestions please

The Ultimate On-Line Whistle Community. If you find one more ultimater, let us know.
john17
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Honest critiques/suggestions please

Post by john17 »

Hello fellow whistlers,

I started with high D whistles about a year ago (JF Tweaked Sweetone, Walton Nickle, Guido homemade) but got away from it after a couple months due to the hustle and bustle of life. Now I've picked it back up again about a month or two ago.

I always loved the sound of the Low D's, so I picked one up at Irishfest here in Milwaukee. I thought I'd post a clip so that I can get some honest feedback on what you hear that I need to work on the most.

I'm slowly learning not to put the whistle in a death grip and am finding I can play a lot longer without fatigue because of it. I'm still getting used to the breath requirments, which I think you'll find apparent in the overly drawn out breaths in the song. Anyway, please let me know any suggestions you may have to help me move in the right direction.

Da Slockit Light

Thanks so much. I really appreciate it.

John
blackhawk
antispam: No

Post by blackhawk »

I can't speak for anyone else, John, but I can't open that file.
Nothing is so firmly believed as that which is least known--Montaigne

We can easily forgive a child who is afraid of the dark. The real tragedy of life is when men are afraid of the light
--Plato
peeplj

Post by peeplj »

You sound like you've got good control of the instrument over its range; both the very low and very high notes are speaking easily and clearly for you.

I think you tried to maybe do a little "too much" with the melody--I love this air, and like it best when it's played very simply. If you do ornament, make sure it is very cleanly done and that it doesn't disturb the basic melody or rhythm.

Overall, very nicely done. Just keep things very clean and simple.

--James
http://www.flutesite.com

-------
"Though no one can go back and make a brand new start, anyone can start from now and make a brand new ending" --Carl Bard
BigDavy

Post by BigDavy »

Hi john

I am another one that likes the air and I second what peeplj said. You could also slow the air down a shade, it takes to being played slowly.

David
Payday, Piping, Percussion and Poetry- the 4 best Ps
ahogrelius
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: I'm just trying to update my profile. I need to change my location since I no longer is living in Sweden. I'm still playing the whistle though for the most time I'm just a lurker on the Chiff and Fipple board.

Post by ahogrelius »

blackhawk wrote:I can't speak for anyone else, John, but I can't open that file.
Same here. That link is as dead as a doornail... :(

Cheers,
Anders
If tin whistles are made of tin, what are foghorns made of?
john17

Post by john17 »

Hmmmm....don't know why there would be problems with the link.

It looks like some are able to get it and some aren't.

Just for the record, it's an mp3 file.

Perhaps right clicking the link and choosing "save target as" would work better for some.

Anyway, I appreciate the feedback so far and will take your advice on not trying to do anything too "funky" with the tune.

John
synergy

Post by synergy »

Sounds great. I don't think you mentioned what Low D whistle that is . . .
john17

Post by john17 »

Gee, you're right synergy. I guess that info would help. lol

The low D that I bought at Irishfest is a MacNeil Aluminum body. Being that it's my first low D, I don't know how it compares to the others out there, but I really like it.

John
AlonE
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8

Post by AlonE »

try whistlethis.com

:)

Good touch!! :-)
pkev

Post by pkev »

Hi,
I'm still getting used to the breath requirments, which I think you'll find apparent in the overly drawn out breaths in the song. Anyway, please let me know any suggestions you may have to help me move in the right direction.
Just a suggestion after listening and taking into consideration your own thoughts above.

I'm not sure how much you are `tonguing` from the recording, however, I reckon you need a tad more to help with your breathing, phrasing etc

Hope this helps

Cheers
pkev
MusicalADD

Post by MusicalADD »

I'm no expert, so take what I say with a grain of salt. But, when I listened, I found myself wanting to hear more vibrato.

But I seem to recall that some folks here hate vibrato in whistling, so my opinion might be far from universal.

Actually I'm curious what others have to say about vibrato in slow tunes like this one. I would think / hope that even the folks who often frown on vibrato would appreciate it in slower tunes like this one.... ?
whistleman922
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Post by whistleman922 »

You prolly noticed but I'd say that, as far as breathing goes, just make sure you get good deep breaths every time you breath better to have too much. And don't let them run out at the ends of phrases. the biggest tendency when that happens is to rush the last bar or two before the end in order to get to the next pause. If you feel yourself short of air as you aproach the closing phrase than take another. those are the most crucial passages are the transitions. until it becomes natural, with aires, you always have to be thinking a few bars ahead to make sure you have the air for them.
Light a man a fire and he'll be warm for a night. Light a man ON fire and he'll be warm for the rest of his life.~terry pratchett
ziggysp2000

Post by ziggysp2000 »

Lol, I knew that was a macneil! I have one and when i heard the sound.....yeeeeah i recognize that. Anywho, yeah nice job... I dare say i can't do much better so hard for me to critique, haha
Ian Wilson
"If only my skill matched my passion"