Bernard Overton R.I.P. 1930 - 2008

The Ultimate On-Line Whistle Community. If you find one more ultimater, let us know.
Goldie
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Bernard Overton R.I.P. 1930 - 2008

Post by Goldie »

Unfortunately we have to let you know of the sad news that Bernard Overton passed away last week. It was quite unexpected and a shock for many. It happened last Saturday when he was on a weekend break with his wife Margaret. She has been trying to contact family first before making it public.

Many will know Bernard but for those who do not, he together with the help of Finbar Furey introduced for the first time in traditional music, lower keyed whistles, most notably the Low D. It is 40 years this year since he made his first whistle and he never stopped making even up to the last days. Before he started making whistles there were no bands playing the lower keyed whistles and when you look around today there are so many musicians/bands in the world that use these instruments. It is quite unbelievable really and also how many instrument makers have started making these instruments since then. What was started back then, certainly has made a big effect on the sound of the music we hear today. Chances are high that one of your favorite bands uses Low whistles. He will be missed a lot by those who had known him.

The funeral will take place on the 30th of June in Coventry, UK.

If anyone would like more information, please send an email to us.

Our thoughts are with Margaret, Dawn and David.

Colin and Brigitte
medit8b1
antispam: No

Post by medit8b1 »

I can't even find the words...How does someone obsessed with low whistles express their gratitude and respect to the man who invented them? My condolences to Mr. Overton's family and friends. At least we know his name and legacy will never be forgotten as long as his whistles, or even any low whistle, is played. I believe a tune is in order...a very sad tune. :cry:
Long live the Low Whistle!
http://pipersgrip.50webs.com
PhilO

Post by PhilO »

May he rest peacefully in the beautiful place that he has already carved out for himself. I haven't played my low whistles in some time; today I will spend the day with them in remembrance.

Thank you Colin and Brigitte, albeit for the sad news.

Philo
"This is this; this ain't something else. This is this." - Robert DeNiro, "The Deer Hunter," 1978.
Thomaston

Post by Thomaston »

:(
MusicalADD

Post by MusicalADD »

Sad news, indeed.

But, such a wonderful legacy he leaves.
Pyroh

Post by Pyroh »

My deepest condolences :( This is definitely bad news...

But it´s as with Gilgamesh and Uruk - physically, he´s dead, but his legacy will be immortal!
Mitch
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8

Post by Mitch »

This is the saddest news.

Farewell Bernard -
The great one returns to the deep
his passing stirs a wake of music.
All the best!

mitch
http://www.ozwhistles.com
jemtheflute

Post by jemtheflute »

Sad news indeed - I never much liked his particular whistles, but we owe the whole concept to him and Finbar; a huge debt. I love the sound of low whistles and what they have added to the tradition (not just ITM either) - proof if any were needed of the ability of the music to adopt and integrate something new yet ideally suited to it, at least in part growing out of it.
Condolences to his family and friends.

I have sent the following message to BBC Radio 4's obituary programme Last Word suggesting they do a feature on Bernard.
Suggestion for an obit. - I'd like to draw your attention to this link:-
http://chiffboard.mati.ca/viewtopic.php ... highlight=

It deals with the demise of Bernard Overton, inventor/developer of the Low Whistle as we have come to know it in traditional music. The sound has become a commonplace in many contexts, but few realise what it is nor its relative youth - few people can claim to have effectively invented a new acoustic instrument in such recent times, let alone so simple but effective and influential a one. I'd suggest interviews with Finbar Furey and with Colin Goldie. You'll find plenty of background info online by searching Overton's name, low whistle, etc. Start on Chiff & Fipple.com.

Featuring Overton would, I suggest, hit at least as big a demographic as did yesterday's feature on the canal man......

I often catch the programme on my way home on Friday afternoons - it's a great addition to the Radio 4 stable.

Regards,
Jem Hammond (Jemtheflute)
Last edited by jemtheflute on Sun Jun 22, 2008 5:28 am, edited 1 time in total.
I respect people's privilege to hold their beliefs, whatever those may be (within reason), but respect the beliefs themselves? You gotta be kidding!

My YouTube channel
My FB photo albums
Low Bb flute: 2 reels (audio)
Flute & Music Resources - helpsheet downloads
crickett

Post by crickett »

My sincerest condolences to Bernard's family and friends.
oregonden

Post by oregonden »

My sincere condolences to the family and friends of a pioneer creator and whistle maker. Fare thee well, Mr. Overton.

Dennis
Make It Fun!
Dunphys Hornpipe
jim stone

Post by jim stone »

Yes, condolences to all concerned, Including
Colin and Brigitte, to whose lives Bernard O
has made a considerable difference. The whistles
you all make will be the best monument imaginable
to Bernard. It's very good that he had you to
carry on his work.
Sad news, indeed.
susnfx

Post by susnfx »

My thoughts go out to his family and friends, particlarly Colin and Brigitte on this board. I'm so sorry for this loss.

Susan
dfernandez77
Tell us something.: So, please write a little about why you are interested. We're just looking for something that will make it clear to us, when we read it, why you are registering and that you know what this forum is all about.

Post by dfernandez77 »

My thoughts and condolences are with you Colin and Brigitte, and with Bernard's family as well.
Daniel

It's my opinion - highly regarded (and sometimes not) by me. Peace y'all.
Sidhe

Post by Sidhe »

What is there to say? My condolences to Colin and Bridgette. Keep up the legacy with your work
tomk

overton

Post by tomk »

That is sad to hear . I have an overton low wistle that has been a god send to me to play after my hand injury keeps me away from pipes for a while . tom k .