Here at last! The patented RobRest (tm)

The Chiff & Fipple Irish Flute on-line community. Sideblown for your protection.
Rob Sharer
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1
Location: Either NC, Co. Clare, or Freiburg i.B., depending...

Here at last! The patented RobRest (tm)

Post by Rob Sharer »

Flute players are a varied lot. For every traditionalist, there's a nonconformist. Some of us take great comfort in going with the flow. Some of us just don't fit in. While most folks are contented with standard grip, or the reassuring presure of Rockstro, some of us just have to go our own way and hold the flute with straight fingers. It's been argued again and again whether or not this is a good idea, and one thing that always comes up is, what about keyed flutes? The problem is that those of us with unconventional grips tend to rely very heavily on the right pinky finger to keep the flute off the floor. How can you stick with your most comfortable grip, yet still use the foot keys?

After seeing the question pop up in various threads, I've decided to break cover and expose my secret for making full use of the foot keys whilst not dropping the flute: The RobRest!!!

THis one is on my Wylde; I have them on pretty much all of my flutes. It's made from a wine cork, with a thin veneer of tenon cork for looks/comfort. I confess, I've superglued this one to the flute, but Blu-Tack is a more reversible option. Here's another view, this time with the foot-keys removed:

Interestingly, this is exactly the same view I get down the barrel of my shotgun when I'm trying to get my neighbor to tidy up his back garden. Despite presure from my lawyers, and international copyright notwithstanding, I've decided to release the RobRest to the wooden flute world at large, so that everyone can enjoy the satisfying whack of the C#/C keys in comfort and style. Enjoy!

Rob
dow
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 12

Post by dow »

Cork?

Cork??

Cork?!?!!

Oh My God! He's taken Cork!!!
Dow Mathis ∴
Boerne, TX
Nothing is foolproof to a sufficiently motivated fool.
Rob Sharer

Post by Rob Sharer »

:twisted: Bwa-ha-ha-HA-HA-HAAA!!!!!!! :twisted:
jim stone

Post by jim stone »

Vewwy sexy. And you get to guzzle vino in the
cause of acquiring working materials.

Also seems a practical idea.
I suppose this might help those of us
who have trouble resting the pinky
on the Eb key but don't wish to roll it
away.
dow
Please enter the next number in sequence: 12

Post by dow »

jim stone wrote:Vewwy sexy.
Jim, for some reason, every time you write this, I get a visual of a lecherous Tweety Bird, maybe wearing a Hugh Hefner robe.
Dow Mathis ∴
Boerne, TX
Nothing is foolproof to a sufficiently motivated fool.
jim stone

Post by jim stone »

Makes sense.
However I was thinking of Elmer Fudd.
The bathrobe helps.
Rob Sharer

Post by Rob Sharer »

I suppose it's obvious that I'm not an Eb key venter; I never could get used to the feeling (talk about tension!). I will occasionally use the Eb key in a tune, though, so the rest couldn't block the touch. Notice that it follows the curve of the key touch almost exactly - the net result, after fooling around with how far the rest should protrude above the key, is that I can actuate the Eb without removing my finger from the rest, just by rocking the pad over a bit. Very easy. Cheers,

Rob
rama
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: flute itm flute, interested in the flute forum for discussions and the instrument exchange forum to buy and sell flutes

Post by rama »

do you have a tempupedic model, in say...chocolate brown?
Rob Sharer

Post by Rob Sharer »

Not yet...in the meantime, maybe try a chocolate-covered raisin?

Rob
johnkerr

Post by johnkerr »

dow wrote:
jim stone wrote:Vewwy sexy.
Jim, for some reason, every time you write this, I get a visual of a lecherous Tweety Bird, maybe wearing a Hugh Hefner robe.
I get that visual from everything Jim writes. That's why I don't take him seriously as a flute player. Now, if he'd only post a clip...

(And in case there's anyone who doesn't already know it: Thassuh joke, son.)
mahanpots

Post by mahanpots »

Rob,

I like it. Your ingenuity makes me want a flute with keys now.

Michael

By the way, I posted a few tunes that Will McCanless and I played last night. Wasn't the best recording situation, but I thought I'd share them anyway. Recorded on a Zoom H4.
Olwell Pratten.
Paddy Cronin's Jig
Limestone Rock, Silver Spear
Blasting, billowing, bursting forth with the power of 10 billion butterfly sneezes
jim stone

Post by jim stone »

Elmer Fudd, not Tweety Pie.

'I tot I taw a Rudall Rose
A creepin up on me!
I DID, I taw a Rudall Rose
As plain as it could be!'

Please, not that...

The Hugh Hefner robe, OK...

Yeah, Rob's got a really helpful idea.
Aanvil

Post by Aanvil »

Rob you got more pictures of your Wylde tooter?

Looks much like mine!

Hehe... I had been trying to get back to venting. Its more natural on the Silver flute as had been the requirement.

I recently snapped my Eb key from over use... or perhaps just the last straw over 170 years. :D

Jon C. made it whole again. Nice job too.

I think I may stop venting. I'm not finding the value added in the effort really.

I'm still trying to figure out what that piece of cork for a rest is really for. I guess I need to try it and see.

:)
Aanvil

-------------------------------------------------

I am not an expert
Doug_Tipple
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Post by Doug_Tipple »

Aanvil wrote:I'm still trying to figure out what that piece of cork for a rest is really for. I guess I need to try it and see.:)
Correct me if I am wrong, but I was thinking that that would be a great place to store an extra tuning cork. It would be right there in case you ever needed one.
Aanvil

Post by Aanvil »

Doug_Tipple wrote:
Aanvil wrote:I'm still trying to figure out what that piece of cork for a rest is really for. I guess I need to try it and see.:)
Correct me if I am wrong, but I was thinking that that would be a great place to store an extra tuning cork. It would be right there in case you ever needed one.
Eureka! You are always thinking aren't you!

You know the C/C# flag keys make a great place to stuff a lit cigarette shoud one be so inclined. Alas I gave up smoking so I'll have to think of another use.
Aanvil

-------------------------------------------------

I am not an expert