what kind of microphone?

The Ultimate On-Line Whistle Community. If you find one more ultimater, let us know.
ennistraveler
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

what kind of microphone?

Post by ennistraveler »

I'm with a band where I mainly play the mandolin, but I'll also play some whistle. What kind of microphone would you recommend for a whistle? The same as for singing? Some kind of attached whistle? Anything else?
Brother Steve rocks!
MTGuru
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8

Post by MTGuru »

Here's a recent thread with some information about whistles and microphones and bands:
http://chiffboard.mati.ca/viewtopic.php?t=48788

I still recommend the basic Shure SM57 or SM58. My WhistleThis clips (see signature below) were recorded with an SM57. It works fine for the mandolin, too. Cheers!
Vivat diabolus in musica! MTGuru's (old) GG Clips / Blackbird Clips

Joel Barish: Is there any risk of brain damage?
Dr. Mierzwiak: Well, technically speaking, the procedure is brain damage.
Adrian
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by Adrian »

MTGuru wrote:Here's a recent thread with some information about whistles and microphones and bands:
http://chiffboard.mati.ca/viewtopic.php?t=48788

I still recommend the basic Shure SM57 or SM58. My WhistleThis clips (see signature below) were recorded with an SM57. It works fine for the mandolin, too. Cheers!
What, no Swedish? :boggle:
Wanderer
Tell us something.: I've like been here forever ;)
But I guess you gotta filter out the spambots.
100 characters? Geeze.

Post by Wanderer »

I totally agree with the SM57/58 suggestion. I've had good experience with them. I used to want a clip-on microphone, but as I get more experienced playing on stage, the more I like the ability to change my distance from the mike to account for different volume levels on the whistle.
MTGuru

Post by MTGuru »

Adrian wrote:What, no Swedish? :boggle:
I'm afraid not, Adrian. I'm spending all my time studying Pomak for my surprise visit there (only joking!). :lol:

Tim2723

Post by Tim2723 »

I've played whistle though a bunch of different mics on stage. I've found that any good vocal mic EQed for voice will work just fine. I don't care for 'close-talk' mics designed for ultra-high stage volumes in rock bands. These are the kind designed to be held right to the lips and screamed into. But other than that, every quality vocal mic, like the SM-58, has been fine for me.

The bigger problem I've encountered is sound techs that boost the bass and reverb on the mics too much. Adding bass and reverb doesn't make you sound better, it just muddies thing up.

Condenser mics are OK if they're in the right location, but I've had more feedback trouble than they've ever been worth to me.

I think it's important to practice with a mic. You need to treat it as a musical instrument in its own right. Practicing to use a mic properly is much more effective than experimenting with dozens of mics. I've always had a suspicion that some guys who finally 'find the perfect mic' have really just gained enough experience to use a mic correctly.
The crwth will set you free!

Tim Smith
Kindred Spirit
www.kspirit.info
tompipes

Post by tompipes »

You'll never go wrong with a SM58 or any decent vocal mic. I find 57's and similar instrument mics pick up too much wind.

I'd also point the mic at a downward 120 degree angle, again to avoid wind getting into the mic.

Tommy
MTGuru

Post by MTGuru »

I agree with both Tommy and Tim. You have to be a bit careful with the 57 because it lacks an internal pop filter. But the attachable SM57 windscreen works like a charm, and is more robust against actual wind noise outdoors than the raw 58. I prefer this combination because it's a bit more flexible for both instrumental and vocal applications. OK, I just like the shape better, too. :-) Either is fine, and the cartridges are identical. My clips are recorded with the 57 positioned at 120 degrees, and wind/breath noise is no problem.

I recently had a chance to perform using a Shure Beta 57 mike, the next step up, and I was pleasantly surprised. Same SM57 sound and feel, and slightly more crisp with a 16kHz drop-off. Nice.

john_t

concerning Shure sm58

Post by john_t »

I'm recording into my computer, and whilst the input levels are at maximum, the recording level is still very low. My basic question is, should I expect to be able to get good amplification at anything other than 1 cm away?
I noticed this in a 'review' section as I was going to buy a shure sm58 microphone from a popular music site and it concerns me a bit...

As I am mainly recording into the computer, I was wondering if anyone has had any experience with a USB microphone such as Samson C01U or Samson Q1U because I heard from other sources that these record at a louder level.

http://www.dolphinmusic.co.uk/page/shop ... ct_id/9890
http://www.dolphinmusic.co.uk/page/shop ... t_id/23744

Thanks
Tim2723

Post by Tim2723 »

Well, from such a brief, out-of-context coment from a review, it's hard to tell what the problem really is. My first guess would be that this user is missing something important in his set up. Perhaps there's a preamp missing?

Tim Smith
Kindred Spirit
www.kspirit.info
MTGuru

Post by MTGuru »

Tim2723 wrote:Well, from such a brief, out-of-context coment from a review, it's hard to tell what the problem really is. My first guess would be that this user is missing something important in his set up. Perhaps there's a preamp missing?
Agreed ... The reviewer could have done any one of dozens of things wrong, such as an impedance mismatch by feeding the lo-Z SM58 directly into the soundcard microphone input.

For my very basic recording setup, I run the SM57 into a preamp channel of a small Behringer board, then tap a line-level output from the board to the line-in of my soundcard. With this, I get more than enough level to drive the recording to 0 db, far more than wanted. Recording whistle at -6 to -3db, with a bit of companding to even out the octaves allows enough headroom for post processing, and sounds good.

For dedicated PC recording, a USB microphone is probably fine. I prefer the flexibility of a good stage mike and mixer, which serves equally well for home recording or performing live. And using the same familiar mike in both settings lets you exploit your knowledge of its predictable characteristics in both settings. I also suspect that the analog mike+board may be warmer sounding (though noisier) than an digital USB mike. But I also like vinyl LPs. :-)

john_t

Post by john_t »

Thanks MTGuru and tim2723, I can see your point about the versatility of a an analogue mic.

What pre-amp would you recommend, also, I must add, I am on quite a tight price range and the price of the Shure SM57/58 alone was a pushing my budget.

Hmm... I'll phone my brother I'm sure he has a set up with a mixer and stuff for recording his vinyl. Though recommendations are still welcome!!
Tim2723

Post by Tim2723 »

I'm not sure which particular Behringer mixer MT uses, but here's a link to the smaller, lower cost Behringer products. I have a friend that uses the Eurorack 502 model ($29.99, bottom of first page) to good affect. One mic input and a line out to the computer. Simple, cheap, and at least for him, quite effective. I'm not sure whether there's something else between it and the computer though. There may be an additional magic box that matches the output of this to the input of the computer.

MT, what are your thoughts on that one?

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/home/nav ... 4+6&page=1

Tim Smith
Kindred Spirit
www.kspirit.info
MTGuru

Post by MTGuru »

Tim2723 wrote:MT, what are your thoughts on that one?
Right, my setup is almost identical. I use the Behringer Xenyx 802, the successor to the Eurorack line, and one step up from the 502. It's got 2 preamp channels and 2 stereo hi-Z channels. No extra magic is needed between the board and computer - the line level CD/Tape output matches the soundcard input nicely.

I know Behringer has a mixed reputation for quality, but I'm very pleased with this board. The preamps are quiet and warm-sounding. The 3-band EQ is very effective, and great for tweaking the whistle (or any) sound externally, something you can't do with a USB mike. And the whole thing is the size of a book, weighs only 1 kg, and fits easily in my gig bag.

john_t ... I see the Xenyx 502 runs £33 at Dolphin, and is the only preamp you'd need. The SM58 would set you back an additional £69. But for that cost you'd have a near-professional-quality setup. Otherwise, if you're on a tight budget for casual home recording, and if your recording software has good level and tone controls, I'm sure a USB mike would be perfectly fine!

Tim2723

Post by Tim2723 »

Thanks for clarifying that MT. I wasn't sure about the interface. My friend is typical of the home recording enthusiast. He has dozens of little boxes with knobs and wires sticking out. :o

Tim Smith
Kindred Spirit
www.kspirit.info