FS: Reyburn Low D

The Ultimate On-Line Whistle Community. If you find one more ultimater, let us know.
flutey1
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

FS: Reyburn Low D

Post by flutey1 »

I'm selling my Reyburn Low D whistle. This was formerly owned by Barry (greenspiderweb) and we traded in the spring, but I don't have the time to devote to low whistle right now, so it really doesn't make much sense for me to keep it. It's a classic Reyburn, brass tube with an adjustable maple head and beautiful tone, and it's in great condition. It's the wide bore model with offset holes for the bottom finger of each hand. I have relatively small hands and didn't have trouble with the stretch or hole size (I have had more problems with other low whistles I've played).

Image Image

I also have sound clips of myself playing it that I could email anyone interested. The Reyburn website wasn't working for me when I tried, but more info and sound clips also available from the Irish flute store: http://www.irishflutestore.com/Reyburn2.html. These whistles currently sell for $240 new, and this is in like-new condition, so I'm asking $200 (including insured shipping to anywhere in the continental US, additional cost to ship elsewhere).

Please PM me if you are interested. Thanks!

Sara
greenspiderweb
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Post by greenspiderweb »

Hi Sara,

Too bad you don't have the time for the low whistle-you play it well! This is a very nice Low D, which I really wasn't looking to trade permanently, but it just worked out that way, since I wanted to spend more time with hers.

I also found I didn't need the offset finger holes, but anyone who has smaller hands will appreciate this.

Great whistle, and a beautiful, rich tone-but it does require good breath control. If you're willing to put in the time, it's well worth getting to know one of these. I have a feeling I will have one again sometime soon too!
~~~~
Barry
TonyHiggins

Post by TonyHiggins »

Here's a sound sample of the whistle I did a few years ago. It's a wide bore low d in 'just' tuning. That should'nt make any difference in evaluating the tone. It's a great whistle for slow airs. Difficult to play fast on. Takes some dedication to get control of the sound. Very big, rich sound that's not really captured on recording.
http://tinwhistletunes.com/clipssnip/Au ... DTonyH.mp3

Here's one I think has a little reverb added:
http://tinwhistletunes.com/clipssnip/Au ... nTonyH.mp3
Tony
http://tinwhistletunes.com/clipssnip/newspage.htm Officially, the government uses the term “flap,” describing it as “a condition, a situation or a state of being, of a group of persons, characterized by an advanced degree of confusion that has not quite reached panic proportions.”
Reyburnwhistles

Post by Reyburnwhistles »

From the looks of that hole pattern I'd say it is tuned to "Just" intonation.

Ronaldo
Doc Jones
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8

Post by Doc Jones »

I've said it before. No low-D out there stirs me like a Reyburn Just temperament Low-D. :)

I do caution married guys not to get one. My wife will scarcely let me play anything else.

Doc
:) Doc's Book

Want to learn about medicinal herbs?
Doc's Website

Want to become a Clinical Herbalist? Doc's Herb School
JS

Post by JS »

I just received a Reyburn Low D (just intonation, wide bore, offset fingerholes) from Doc's Irish Flute Store as part of a very agreeable trade, and I'd like to second the praise for these fine whistles. What I'm most impressed with is the variety of tone, from a flute-like clarity to the kind of liquid, flowing quality I'd expect in a good high whistle. It's not a whistle that runs on autopilot; you can do a lot to adjust your sound. I have a large finger spread, and the offset holes make it possible for me to use a position that's not far off what I use on flute. Quite comfortable, more so than other low D whistles I've tried, and more agile on quicker tempos as well.

I had fun doing A/B comparisons with my flute to investigate the "do you need a low whistle if you have a flute" topic that comes up off & on here at C&F. I'd say if you like the possibilities of sound that do make the low D its own beast (and to my ear, it extends what the player can do in the same range as the flute), this is one to consider.

I already own a Reyburn D/C set, and it was my satisfaction with the tone and playability of these that made me want to try his lower whistles (the trade with Doc included a low G as well, but I've been too infatuated with the D to give it a real try yet; seems delightful on brief acquaintance). Ronaldo's high D works so well for me that I haven't given serous thought to acquiring another whistle in that key.

So, an unqualified rave.
"Furthermore he gave up coffee, and naturally his brain stopped working." -- Orhan Pamuk
Doc Jones
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8

Post by Doc Jones »

JS wrote:What I'm most impressed with is the variety of tone, from a flute-like clarity to the kind of liquid, flowing quality I'd expect in a good high whistle. It's not a whistle that runs on autopilot; you can do a lot to adjust your sound.
Well put and too true.

There is nothing like a Reyburn for expressiveness.

With so many Low-ds you blow and they toot. With the Reyburn wide bore I really find the ability to express what I'm after musically...just lovely critters.

Doc
:) Doc's Book

Want to learn about medicinal herbs?
Doc's Website

Want to become a Clinical Herbalist? Doc's Herb School
flutey1

Post by flutey1 »

bump.
greenspiderweb

Post by greenspiderweb »

It's hard to believe that your Reyburn is still available, Sara! I guess the right person just hasn't come along yet that wants to save a quick $50! I would, if I needed the offset holes! Actually, I didn't find it all that hard to play with my longer fingers. Hmmm... :)
~~~~
Barry
riverman

Post by riverman »

Is this whistle played with the piper's grip, like other low whistles, or do the offset finger holes make a regular grip possible?
"Whoever comes to me I will never drive away." --Jesus Christ.
greenspiderweb

Post by greenspiderweb »

You would still need to use piper's grip, unless you have really large hands. But if you have smaller hands, you can use your little finger on the bottom hole to make it easier to play.

I used piper's grip, and it still worked well for my medium-large hands. I just prefer inline holes myself.
~~~~
Barry
blackhawk

Post by blackhawk »

If this had in-line holes, it'd probably have sold right away. Those offset holes are hard to adjust to if you've already put the time in to learn the normal way of playing.
Nothing is so firmly believed as that which is least known--Montaigne

We can easily forgive a child who is afraid of the dark. The real tragedy of life is when men are afraid of the light
--Plato
flutey1

Post by flutey1 »

I didn't find it hard to adjust to the offset holes and the low whistle I had before this has much larger, inline holes.
greenspiderweb

Post by greenspiderweb »

flutey1 wrote:I didn't find it hard to adjust to the offset holes and the low whistle I had before this has much larger, inline holes.
Ditto-I didn't have any trouble adjusting to the offset holes either, with my larger hands. But for my larger hands, inline just seems to work better for me.

The offset fingering is supposed to be for people with smaller hands so they can use their little finger to cover the bottom holes on each hand, to help with the long stretch on Low D whistles that many find hard to manage.
~~~~
Barry
JS

Post by JS »

Just a quick note of agreement. I have large hands, and the offset holes on the Reyburn make for easy fingering with the conventional (no little finger) method. For me, fingertips on the left hand, pipers grip on the right.
"Furthermore he gave up coffee, and naturally his brain stopped working." -- Orhan Pamuk