Andrea Corr: what the heck is she doing?!

The Ultimate On-Line Whistle Community. If you find one more ultimater, let us know.
orlandorr

Andrea Corr: what the heck is she doing?!

Post by orlandorr »

OK, she is hot and all, but this is plain weird:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=urb4y-ZMvdc

It's very unsettling! What kind of whistle she pretends to be playing?
kkrell
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: Mostly producer of the Wooden Flute Obsession 3-volume 6-CD 7-hour set of mostly player's choice of Irish tunes, played mostly solo, on mostly wooden flutes by approximately 120 different mostly highly-rated traditional flute players & are mostly...

Re: Andrea Corr: what the heck is she doing?!

Post by kkrell »

orlandorr wrote:OK, she is hot and all, but this is plain weird:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=urb4y-ZMvdc

It's very unsettling! What kind of whistle she pretends to be playing?
I'm not sure what you're complaining about. Looks like it is a Generation Bb whistle, which she DOES seem to be playing. Audio sync is slightly off on the video, as is often the case with YouTube videos, unless corrected by the editor.

Kevin Krell
International Traditional Music Society, Inc.
A non-profit 501c3 charity/educational public benefit corporation
Wooden Flute Obsession CDs (3 volumes, 6 discs, 7 hours, 120 players/tracks)
https://www.worldtrad.org
cavefish
Tell us something.: been out of it for awhile and decided to start back up on the flute and whistle , been doing NAFs and saxophones

Post by cavefish »

OTHER THAN SHE LOOKS LIKE SHE IS WHISTLE SINC'ING---I DONT SEE ANTHING OUT OF THE NORM----BUT HER GROUP DOES SEEM TO BE FADDING AWAY WITH THE OLD IRISH AND BLENDING TO MUCH LIBERAL CRAP INTO HER MUSIC
MTGuru

Post by MTGuru »

I'm guessing the original poster doesn't know that Andrea Corr plays whistle.

A friend told me he's seen Andrea toss her LBW into the audience as a souvenir during Corrs concerts. Has anyone else witnessed this?
arnie

Post by arnie »

I kind of agree with orlandorr, it seems odd that the audiosync is not right as long as Andrea is whistling but is very acurate during the singing. Also the whistle is going all directions except that of the mic, AND the sound doesn't seem that of a Gen at all. I tend to think she doesn't play there at all.
Adrian
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by Adrian »

Does not sound like a Gen Bb to me.
Last edited by Adrian on Wed May 09, 2007 8:52 am, edited 1 time in total.
cavefish
Tell us something.: been out of it for awhile and decided to start back up on the flute and whistle , been doing NAFs and saxophones

Post by cavefish »

celine dont sync---------------but that gen never sounded so good-----thats a fake
Key_of_D

Post by Key_of_D »

Obviously most of the people disussing that whistle on that youtube don't have much of a clue as to what they're talking about. It's not a low B or a low D, it's very much a Generation Bb in brass from what I can see. I'm going to pull out my very same Generation Bb brass whistle and play that tune for comparison - whether Andrea is actually playing in that movie or not.

As for it being a fake......... :really: Never heard of a fake Generation whistle... They're cheap enough already, how much "faker" could they be? If someone actually went through the effort to replicate a Generation whistle, they're sorely waisting their time when they could just spend 8 dollars! :)

-Eric
Wanderer
Tell us something.: I've like been here forever ;)
But I guess you gotta filter out the spambots.
100 characters? Geeze.

Post by Wanderer »

The whistle's obviously genuine. I can't say whether or not Andrea's pretending to play to a recording or not. YouTube just doesn't offer good enough video to honestly make the determination. There are a couple places where the fingering isn't 100% with the playing, but that could be due to sloppy video conversion (which YouTube definitely has).

As to the sound, you'd be surprised what you can make a whistle sound like if you have a few tens of thousands of dollars to throw on sound equipment.

Now mind you, I'm not saying that Andrea's not faking it...she seems a little far from the microphone at some points, without the volume changing. But people have been acting over recordings in popular music for a long long time now. That is, unless you really believe that Britney Spears really can jump around like a frog and sing perfectly. Then again, some people believe pro wrestling's real too. ;)

I suppose what I'm saying is that clearly the whistle's real, the tune played is NOT a "low b" (below low D), and that people on the youtube thread are making a mountain out of a molehill or maybe even no hill at all. heh ;)
│& ¼║: ♪♪♫♪ ♫♪♫♪ :║
straycat82

Post by straycat82 »

I could see a that sound coming out of her Genny B if there was quite a bit of reverb on the mic to smoothe (dull) it out. Anyone who has played on stage knows that the sound coming out of the monitor is slightly different than what you hear playing in your home with the fipple window five inches from your ear. Also, since she is playing with the window so far away from the mic it's possible that a lot of the chiff and breathiness of the Gen Bb is lost.
That had to have been one hot mic to pick up the sound that well with her so far back from it.

Then again, anyone who has seen "The Boys and Girl From County Clare" knows that she's no stranger to faking it ;)
orlandorr

Post by orlandorr »

Well, it definitely sounds like she's syncing. It freaks me out! I was watching it like "Stop it! Don't do that!!"

So, the Generation Bb sounds or doesn't sounds like that??
AlonE

Post by AlonE »

if I believe that it this touching, is not a little peculiar so that as comment, is a very simple song (until for my xD) and she must touch it. In addition, it moves away of the mic and the sound follows perfect, that is impossible, generation Bb without a doubt, it never sounded so pure and sweet. Is fake.
gallant_murray

Post by gallant_murray »

orlandorr wrote:Well, it definitely sounds like she's syncing. It freaks me out! I was watching it like "Stop it! Don't do that!!"

So, the Generation Bb sounds or doesn't sounds like that??
Gen B flats generally sound good on their own and with all the fancy stuff they do for concerts, that could easily be an actual Generation. Also, I've heard that she has her LBWs modified a bit so she could have done something to the Gen. It's hard to tell if someone is faking it on youtube because the sound and video often do not match up perfectly.
Ramzy Berbawy

I think there's just one kind of folks. Folks.
-Scout Finch
Nanohedron
Moderatorer
Tell us something.: Been a fluter, citternist, and uilleann piper; committed now to the way of the harp.

Oh, yeah: also a mod here, not a spammer. A matter of opinion, perhaps.

Post by Nanohedron »

gallant_murray wrote:It's hard to tell if someone is faking it on youtube because the sound and video often do not match up perfectly.
That's right. I've seen a number of examples where there was no way the playing could be faked, but there was a disconcerting mismatch of video and audio.
"If you take music out of this world, you will have nothing but a ball of fire." - Balochi musician
Gabriel

Post by Gabriel »

She doesn't play many grace notes that are audible in the music. So I'd say that it's a playback.

The sound sounds pretty much like my Generation though...

Edit: Right at the beginning she "plays" a low Ab on a Bb whistle. Definitive playback from a recording.