Flutemakers who'll add post-mounted keys to a keyless flute?

The Chiff & Fipple Irish Flute on-line community. Sideblown for your protection.
bradhurley
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Flutemakers who'll add post-mounted keys to a keyless flute?

Post by bradhurley »

A friend and former flute student of mine has a Pakistani keyless flute that's actually not too bad...I remember playing it a few times and being surprised at its decent tone and tuning. Maybe it's one of those ones that was tweaked by Rod Cameron, but I think he bought it direct from Lark in the Morning many years ago. He's a lefthanded player. He'd like to have an F key and a G# key added, and asked me if I knew anyone who would be able to do that for him. I'm pretty sure there are flute makers out there who will add post-mounted keys after the fact, I just can't remember who they are. Anyone care to offer some suggestions?

Thanks,

Brad
pmcallis

Post by pmcallis »

Brad,
How about: Maurice Reviol??...George Ormiston??...
regards,
Paul
Doc Jones
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8

Post by Doc Jones »

Yup, I'd say Maurice is your best bet for keying someone else's instrument. Johnny Gallagher has done it too.

In fact, Johnny did this to a Hammy. Sort of a post mount / block mount hybrid....very cool.

Doc
:) Doc's Book

Want to learn about medicinal herbs?
Doc's Website

Want to become a Clinical Herbalist? Doc's Herb School
Cathy Wilde

Post by Cathy Wilde »

Do I recall David Copley doing post-mount repairs, too?
Deja Fu: The sense that somewhere, somehow, you've been kicked in the head exactly like this before.
Cathy Wilde

Post by Cathy Wilde »

Doc Jones wrote:Yup, I'd say Maurice is your best bet for keying someone else's instrument. Johnny Gallagher has done it too.

In fact, Johnny did this to a Hammy. Sort of a post mount / block mount hybrid....very cool.

Doc
Whoa. Now that's clever! He just finished putting a new G# key on my Murray along with two other keys that were missing (I literally mailed the check today); makes me all the more eager to see what he's done!!!!

P.S. Nelson, you'd better hurry. ;-)
Deja Fu: The sense that somewhere, somehow, you've been kicked in the head exactly like this before.
Cathy Wilde

Post by Cathy Wilde »

pmcallis wrote:Brad,
How about: Maurice Reviol??...George Ormiston??...
regards,
Paul
My first keyed flute was an Ormiston ("Was"? Heck, I still have it -- somebody make me sell some flutes!), and the post-mounted keys on it are super. Nice action, very reliable, and I think I only recall one leak in .... wow. 10 years???? :boggle: And that was just due to a pad wearing out.

His silver work is very handsome overall.
dow
Please enter the next number in sequence: 12

Post by dow »

Cathy Wilde wrote:My first keyed flute was an Ormiston ("Was"? Heck, I still have it -- somebody make me sell some flutes!)...
Cathy,

Sell some flutes. :D
Dow Mathis ∴
Boerne, TX
Nothing is foolproof to a sufficiently motivated fool.
seisflutes

Post by seisflutes »

Casey Burns adds post mounted keys to his flutes, though I don't know how he'd feel about adding them to a flute he didn't make.
Gabriel

Post by Gabriel »

I'd say Maurice Reviol is your best bet on this. He charges the same prices as for adding keys on his own flutes AFAIK, that is, 250 NZ$ per key (silver-plated) or 200 for plain brass. I tried the keywork he makes in last year's fall when I met Maurice in Frankfurt. It's very easy to use, looks good and isn't that pricey. And additionally, Maurice is a great chap to deal with. :)

Maybe that's the reason why I have a bloodwood eightkeyed flute from him on order... :D

His homepage is http://www.reviol.co.nz.
Berti66

Post by Berti66 »

since I have done some research on that recenty and came up with the same names, plus hammy hamilton

BUT the information that is very important to know

Some maker will not want to happily take on OTHER makers flutes without knowing you have asked your maker and he gave you green light because of your maker not doing postmounts, say.
This was something I heard a few times.

For me it is no longer an issue :) (no don't have keys yet but my maker going to go back to postmounts)

Berti
Last edited by Berti66 on Sat Jan 27, 2007 11:26 am, edited 1 time in total.
The Sporting Pitchfork
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Post by The Sporting Pitchfork »

I'd also happily recommend Maurice. He did some nice work on both my uilleann pipes and my flute and he's a wonderful guy. He started off making bassoons and he really knows his keywork. The only drawback is that he's in New Zealand which is a bit of a ways to be sending a flute back and forth, but then again, Brad's friend is probably going to have to send it off somewhere a ways off anyway.

Johnny's key mounting system looks interesting. I've no doubt he'd be a good person to work on it as well.