How do you care for your brass whistles?

The Ultimate On-Line Whistle Community. If you find one more ultimater, let us know.
Wilsing
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

How do you care for your brass whistles?

Post by Wilsing »

I am a bit curious as to how others care for their brass whistles. Do you

just let them acquire a patina, or do you keep them polished with Brasso

or something else? I would appreciate any thoughts/comments on this.

Also, does anyone use any steel wool or another buffing agent on their

whistles? Thanks for your imput.

-James

A Stor Mo Chroi
Last edited by Wilsing on Thu Aug 31, 2006 6:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.
straycat82
antispam: No

Post by straycat82 »

I like a whistle that shows how much I've loved it (see below :)) I do use a polishing cloth to keep it from looking (or being) dirty though.
King Friday

Post by King Friday »

Let 'em turn green.
slowair

Post by slowair »

I'm like a crow in that I like shiny things. My brass whistles especially.

I do two things.

1. There is a Chiffer that uses the handle zub...something or other. I'm not even sure he is around anymore. He turned us all on to a potion for cleaning brass that was all natural and did not leave any chemical smell or taste like Brasso can. Brasso is what I use to use.
Anyway, do a search because I can not remember the exact formula. It consisted of vinegar and salt. You boiled the vinegar and slowly added salt. Caution: this apparently produces a toxic fume while boiling so do it in a WELL ventilated room.
The concoction works beautifully. You just swab it on and the tarnish just disappears. Then just rinse in water and dry.

2. If I want my whistles to absolutely glow, I use the above potion and then do a light polish using #0000 steel wool. Just make sure to rinse out the inside. Steel slivers in your mouth are not fun.

Hope that helps.
Mike
Tommy

Post by Tommy »

Toothpaste will shine brass.
''Whistles of Wood'', cpvc and brass. viewtopic.php?f=1&t=69086
PhilO

Post by PhilO »

I usually just let 'em go for a long time and if I feel like it, then one day suddenly wipe 'em down with 0000 (ultra fine) steel wool and finish with a jeweler's cloth. I have found this to work very well and easily with no down sides. Be warned, however, that care should be taken with aluminum whistles (depending on the finish). I sold a wonderful whistle to a C&Fer and thinking I was being nice, I polished it down for him and inadvertently removed some of its interesting steely grey finish, which both of us agreed was a "bad" thing.

Philo
"This is this; this ain't something else. This is this." - Robert DeNiro, "The Deer Hunter," 1978.
dfernandez77
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: So, please write a little about why you are interested. We're just looking for something that will make it clear to us, when we read it, why you are registering and that you know what this forum is all about.

Post by dfernandez77 »

I let mine get a patina. If they get sticky feeling I rub them with a Jeweler's cloth - but just enough to remove the sticky.
Daniel

It's my opinion - highly regarded (and sometimes not) by me. Peace y'all.