dixon duo head low whistle / flute

The Chiff & Fipple Irish Flute on-line community. Sideblown for your protection.
bradster

dixon duo head low whistle / flute

Post by bradster »

Hi folks,

Can anyone recommend getting the Dixon Low whistle / flute combo as one item or buying each separately?
A tuneable whistle and tuneable flute separately would cost a bit more but not a drastic amount if it means better quality.

Thanks!
jim stone

Post by jim stone »

I've never owned these, but I believe they have
received poor reviews. You might try a search.
DCrom
antispam: No

Post by DCrom »

I own the Duo. Not a bad low whistle, but rather lacking as a flute. I can play mine, but the gap between the Dixon Duo (a so/so cylindrical flute) and a good conical flute is pretty big.

If you're buying it as a low whistle, the price of the second head isn't too much extra (and at least gives you a chance to dabble your toes in flute for about an extra $15), but I'd never buy one just as a flute (for the same money as a Dixon 2-piece, I think you'd be better off buying a Tipple or the Hamilton practice flute).

How serious are you? For just getting your feet wet, or a cheap knockabout instrument the cylindricals aren't too bad. But you can pick up a decent conical flute for $2-300 (The Dixon 3-piece conical, Burns Folk Flute, and Sweet Resonance model all come to mind), and if you're serious about flute you probably want a good instrument awfully fast.
greenspiderweb
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Post by greenspiderweb »

The Dixon duo isn't the best choice. For the flute part of it-get a Doug Tipple flute (a Chiff member and nice guy)-they are far superior to the Dixon, and much easier to play.

Here's his webpage: http://home.earthlink.net/~life2all/dougswebspace/

I understand the Dixon whistle isn't too bad, but there are more choices. Dual purpose instruments don't usually make the best choice for either.
~~~~
Barry
bradster

Post by bradster »

thanks guys , ive belateldly done the searching.
I think the tipple seems the best bet.
I suppose I dont want to shell out for a good wooden flute without getting my toes wet first.
So it would be two stages at most.
Compared to 7 guitars till I ended up with my Strat!
Man I should have bought it when I started!
I also wanted to try a low whistle.
I think Ill do them separately.
bradster

Post by bradster »

2 tipple q's:
given that i hope to move to a traditional wooden irish flute when the time is right ,
should I get the inline holes
and
should i bother with the optional lip plate?
the idea being to make to transition to wood as easy as possible.
thansk to all.
Congratulations
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by Congratulations »

A conical-bore flute will have holes that are closer together than a cylindrical one. Feel free to get the not-inline ones. But unless you have very small hands, you may as well get the inline.

Get the lip plate.
oh Lana Turner we love you get up
AaronMalcomb

Post by AaronMalcomb »

A bamboo Olwell flute is by far the best bang-for-buck flute around. The intonation is spot-on, the tone is like wood, and they smell delicious when brand new. For around $100 USD, you can't beat it. It is a big flute with big holes and spread but unless you have tiny hands or a medical condition, it is manageable and well worth the effort.
greenspiderweb

Post by greenspiderweb »

AaronMalcomb wrote:A bamboo Olwell flute is by far the best bang-for-buck flute around. The intonation is spot-on, the tone is like wood, and they smell delicious when brand new. For around $100 USD, you can't beat it. It is a big flute with big holes and spread but unless you have tiny hands or a medical condition, it is manageable and well worth the effort.
I don't believe he's making the bamboo flutes any longer-so you would have to find one used-good luck there.

Brad, I still think if you want to keep costs down, a Tipple will do you fine. If your hands are small, you may have trouble on a Low D cylindrical flute like the Olwell or Tipple, unless you get the holes offset. If you have normal sized hands, then you can probably manage.

Transition to a conical bore won't be a problem-but your embouchure will be different on any wooden flute from one to the next-so you adjust-not a big deal. The spread will be closer if you move up to a conical bore flute later, so that's easier, and inline holes aren't hard to master either.

Email Doug-he can be very helpful deciding on the options-and he knows his flutes inside and out!

Personally, I would pick the full options-speckled bore, 8 hole, lip plate, and wedge! Do you need them to start? No! They are just icing on the cake-though the wedge will improve intonation in the upper register-something that is inherent in all cylindrical flutes and whistles, but only Doug offers that cheap solution. The lip plate makes it sound very much like a wooden flute, and may aid playability, I'm not sure on that point-I haven't tried one yet, only heard them.
~~~~
Barry
AaronMalcomb

Post by AaronMalcomb »

greenspiderweb wrote:I don't believe he's making the bamboo flutes any longer-so you would have to find one used-good luck there.
He's been halting bamboo flute production through the winter to catch up on his waiting list but usually starts up again in the Spring.
greenspiderweb

Post by greenspiderweb »

AaronMalcomb wrote:
greenspiderweb wrote:I don't believe he's making the bamboo flutes any longer-so you would have to find one used-good luck there.
He's been halting bamboo flute production through the winter to catch up on his waiting list but usually starts up again in the Spring.
Yes, you're right Aaron, that's what he has been doing, but in a post here a little while ago, Olwell was selling a bamboo C on Ebay, and had this to say in the auction description:"

http://chiffboard.mati.ca/viewtopic.php ... ght=bamboo

The auction text wrote:
This is a rare opportunity to get an Olwell bamboo flute, as we have exhausted our supply of bamboo and we will not be harvesting again until spring, if at all. Even if we are able to make the trip to Florida to cut more bamboo, it is unlikely that we will be making bamboo flutes in any significant capacity in the future, as we shift our production priorities overwhelmingly toward wooden flutes.

Sorry to say-I would have liked to try one myself!
~~~~
Barry
AaronMalcomb

Post by AaronMalcomb »

If that's the case I'm glad I still have mine.
Lambchop

Post by Lambchop »

Get the offset holes unless you have hands the size of shovels. It'll reduce your chances of getting a repetitive strain injury the first week.

No need to fear that you'll get stuck on whatever type you try first . . . you'll be able to adapt readily to any hole configuration later. It's just a bit easier if they're offset, as it reduces the awkward angle some.