Low C?

The Ultimate On-Line Whistle Community. If you find one more ultimater, let us know.
fluti31415
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Low C?

Post by fluti31415 »

Hi, All --

My boyfriend bought a ukulele this year. :party: He is completely new to music, and is learning on his own. I am not interfering in his progress, but he does enjoy it when we play tunes together.

So far, he refuses to play in any key except C, which makes it difficult to play my flute with him. I have been using my C Susato whistle to play the tunes he knows. But, well.... It's a ukulele and whistle, folks -- we could probably guest star on the "annoying music" radio show, especially with our rendition of "Wild Thing." :o It's fun, but can get tiring.

This is his journey; it would not be appropriate for me to suggest that he tune the uke up a step, or learn to play in D or G. So I'm using this to rationalize :D the purchase of a low C whistle.

Price range is somewhat open at this stage, but the whistle must be tuneable.

Any suggestions? Here's what I'm considering so far:
Dixon
Howard (are these tuneable?)
Susato (are these available without keys?)
Copelands are a bit out of my price range. I could spring for a Burke, but which one?!

Or, what am I missing?

Thanks for your collective wisdom.
Shannon
(aka fluti31415)
RonKiley

Post by RonKiley »

I played an Alba low C that was wonderful. It was easier to finger than my Howard low D. It had a nice deep voice. Stacey lists the tunable at 90 GBP which is about 156 dollars today.

Ron
I've never met a whistle I didn't want.
Bloomfield
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8

Post by Bloomfield »

Overton Low C. I just got one. Great, fun whistle. Among the cheaper ones, I'd go with a Howard.
/Bloomfield
Tommy

Post by Tommy »

Overton would be my first choice also. I do not have one, but do have the low d. It is excellent.

My other choices would be Cheiftain and Howard. I have both. The Howard is tunable and mine is a low d with a c tube that I made, and they sound great.

The Cheiftain is an older pre owned one that I bought a few weeks ago.
It is tunable and sounds great. It takes about the same amount of air as a Howard low D.

The Hobgoglin in Red Wing MN. has Howard low ds, and low c. I don't know who else has the low c.
KDMARTINKY

Post by KDMARTINKY »

I say that if your BF truely cares for you he will change his key..... :lol: Actually M.Burke makes a very nice Low C, but I also agree what other on the thread have advised.

best of luck.
Keith

Bionn dha insint ar sceal agus leagon deag ar amhran
There are two versions of every story and twelve of every song
IDAwHOa
Tell us something.: I play whistles. I sell whistles. This seems just a BIT excessive to the cause. A sentence or two is WAY less than 100 characters.

Post by IDAwHOa »

You could also check with Daniel Bingamon (Jubilee Music). He posts here fairly frequently. He could work with you on many aspects of the whistles construction including finger spacing and how it sounds.

I have the Overton personally.

Although you would still be in the high C range, you could also get a low G whistle. That would get you a couple of notes below C to play in songs that do that, which are quite a few in non-ITRD music. Just helping a fellow WHOA sufferer! :twisted:
Steven - IDAwHOa - Wood Rocks

"If you keep asking questions.... You keep getting answers." - Miss Frizzle - The Magic School Bus
fluti31415

Post by fluti31415 »

Bloomfield wrote:Overton Low C. I just got one. Great, fun whistle. Among the cheaper ones, I'd go with a Howard.
Are overtons tuneable? They sure do sound nice.
Shannon
(aka fluti31415)
fluti31415

Post by fluti31415 »

KDMARTINKY wrote:I say that if your BF truely cares for you he will change his key..... :lol:
best of luck.
LOL! I am the flexible one when it comes to music. He only knows five chords so far.
Shannon
(aka fluti31415)
fluti31415

Post by fluti31415 »

IDAwHOa wrote: Although you would still be in the high C range, you could also get a low G whistle. That would get you a couple of notes below C to play in songs that do that, which are quite a few in non-ITRD music. Just helping a fellow WHOA sufferer! :twisted:
I had not thought about a G. Now I can buy two whistles! I mean, it is to help encourage the BF, right? It would not be for my personal benefit..... :P
Shannon
(aka fluti31415)
IDAwHOa
Tell us something.: I play whistles. I sell whistles. This seems just a BIT excessive to the cause. A sentence or two is WAY less than 100 characters.

Post by IDAwHOa »

fluti31415 wrote:
Bloomfield wrote:Overton Low C. I just got one. Great, fun whistle. Among the cheaper ones, I'd go with a Howard.
You bet they are. The one I have is tunable. It is the second from the left in this picture:

"If you keep asking questions.... You keep getting answers." - Miss Frizzle - The Magic School Bus
Tommy

Post by Tommy »

:cry: :cry: :cry: Another set of pictures....
fluti31415

Post by fluti31415 »

IDAwHOa wrote:
fluti31415 wrote:
You bet they are. The one I have is tunable. It is the second from the left in this picture:
I wish there was an emoticon for drooling.
Shannon
(aka fluti31415)
talasiga

Re: Low C?

Post by talasiga »

fluti31415 wrote: .....
So far, he refuses to play in any key except C, which makes it difficult to play my flute with him. I have been using my C Susato whistle to play the tunes he knows. But, well.... It's a ukulele and whistle, folks -- we could probably guest star on the "annoying music" radio show, especially with our rendition of "Wild Thing." :o It's fun, but can get tiring.

If he is doing everything relative to C key signature and you want a low price flute to accompany him acquire a G flute which will, with cross fingered F, give you all the modes relative to C major.

I feel, having played with ukelele players in the South Pacific, that a low C whistle would be too much of a contrast with the brightness of the uke. Your disinclination of too much soprano is understood (as in high whistle with ukelele) and so the G flute is a good middle path.

Everyone who has played my PVC Tipple G loves it. It won't hurt your pocket.
qui jure suo utitur neminem laedit
IDAwHOa

Re: Low C?

Post by IDAwHOa »

talasiga wrote:G flute which will, with cross fingered F, give you all the modes relative to C major.
Agreed
talasiga wrote:the G flute is a good middle path..
I am not sure I understand your logic here????? Playing the G flute (or whistle for that matter) will not solve the high C dillema as the C played by the G instrument would be the same C played by the C whistle.

No? :-?

You would get a little bit of range below the C, but that was already mentioned. Maybe you could explain the logic behind your thought?

talasiga

Post by talasiga »

IDAwHOa,
I will limit my comment to diatonic modes relative to C major
which can also be obtained on a G flute:

G Mixolydian is lower on a G flute than on a high C whistle.
A Aeolian likewise.
On a G flute, C Ionian has 3 lower drop down notes not on a high C whistle.
D Dorian likewise.
E Phyrgian likewise (though not used in ITM to my best knowledge)
F Lydian likewise with parenthetical note.

There you have it. Whatever you can play on a high C whistle
you will be able to play lower on a G flute or whistle,
either in terms of keynote or drop down notes.
qui jure suo utitur neminem laedit