Fiddlesticks

Our first forum for instruments you don't blow.
greenspiderweb
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Fiddlesticks

Post by greenspiderweb »

Oh well
Last edited by greenspiderweb on Tue Aug 01, 2006 3:14 pm, edited 8 times in total.
~~~~
Barry
Doug_Tipple

Post by Doug_Tipple »

I ordered one of the basic incredibows from Barry. I had been interested in getting a carbon fiber bow for some time, and on Barry's recommendation I decided to give the incredibow a try.

The bow that I had been using is a pernanbuco stick which weighs 64 grams. The incredibow is much lighter at only 38 grams. This weight difference makes a lot of difference in how much energy it takes to quickly change the motion of the bow. I find that it is easier on my wrist when I play with the incredibow. I had almost given up the fiddle because of wrist problems. I am hoping that I will be able to continue to play using the much lighter incredibow.

One thing that I like about the incredibow is the way the synthetic hairs grab the strings, needing very little rosin on the hair. It seems to me that making a good sounding note is easier with the incredibow than with my conventional bow with horsehair.

To bow a cello with larger strings it normally takes a cello bow, which has a greater number and wider segment of horsehairs than a violin bow. However, I found that the violin incredibow was able to grab the strings well enough that I was able to use it to play the cello, which I have set up as an octave fiddle (G, D, A, E)

All in all, I am happy with the incredibow, and I recommend it to you.
greenspiderweb

Post by greenspiderweb »

Hi Robert,

I'm glad you like your new bow. That is one of the benefits of the light weight bow-people with arthritis or other hand/wrist problems find they require less effort, and so have helped some people play again who haven't been because of their physical limitations.

The synthetic hair does grab very well, as you say; even the violin bow will drive a cello string, but they make them also for violas, cellos, and basses too, which work the best for each respective instrument, with a little wider band of hair and slightly larger diameter stick than the violin bow.

I personally liked how it gave my violin a more rounded and fuller tone, where before it had been a little harsh. It's a little cleaner tone too, with very little hair noise.

Enjoy your bow!
Last edited by greenspiderweb on Tue Mar 13, 2007 10:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.
~~~~
Barry
emmline

Post by emmline »

I rather like the way that mine is shiny black, matching the pegs and tailpiece. (not every serious fiddler's primary concern, I'm sure, but it pleases me.) It's weighted in a nice way, but I hadn't had too much time to experiment before my pegs went kaflooey. Luckily, I will be seeing the old South County fiddle guy on Friday about that.
Joseph E. Smith

Post by Joseph E. Smith »

I rather like the look of the brass or aurora bowrealis bows.

Question for you Spidey, can the tension of these bows be adjusted by their owner? I am pretty finicky about the bow tension I use when playing.
greenspiderweb

Post by greenspiderweb »

Joseph E. Smith wrote: Question for you Spidey, can the tension of these bows be adjusted by their owner? I am pretty finicky about the bow tension I use when playing.
Hi Joseph,

No, as they are, the bows are not adjustable. There recently has been some discussion on the Yahoo Incredibow forum about that possibility of making an adjustable design.
Last edited by greenspiderweb on Tue Mar 13, 2007 10:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.
~~~~
Barry
greenspiderweb

Post by greenspiderweb »

Happy Holidays!
Last edited by greenspiderweb on Tue Aug 01, 2006 3:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.
~~~~
Barry
greenspiderweb

Post by greenspiderweb »

I just received one of the standard weight bows, and found it to have a slight edge in fullness of tone in comparison to the featherweigt Incredibow. Most people like the lighter bow, since you can play with much less effort, and still get a great tone, which means you can play longer without tiring. But my pick, is for the standard weight bow for the fullest tone for my short playing times. The cherry Incrediwood covering looks fine, too! Of course, if you are going for a long night out playing, the featherweight makes sense, or you are arthritic, or have wrist problems.
Last edited by greenspiderweb on Tue Aug 01, 2006 3:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.
~~~~
Barry
brewerpaul

Post by brewerpaul »

Any chance of sending one of these on a tour?
Got wood?
http://www.Busmanwhistles.com
Let me custom make one for you!
greenspiderweb

Post by greenspiderweb »

brewerpaul wrote:Any chance of sending one of these on a tour?
You could ask the owners at Serenity Mountain, they might go for it.
Last edited by greenspiderweb on Tue Aug 01, 2006 3:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.
~~~~
Barry
greenspiderweb

Post by greenspiderweb »

Happy Spring!
Last edited by greenspiderweb on Tue Aug 01, 2006 3:24 pm, edited 2 times in total.
~~~~
Barry
SteveK
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by SteveK »

Just sent you a PM Barry.

Steve
fidla
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

incredibows

Post by fidla »

I've been playing violin/fiddle since I was 4, almost 40 years (this may)!

Personally, I find these bows incredibly annoying! no offense intended to the maker. I tried two of the bows and couldn't get them to respond in the way I am used to. Perhaps it has something to do with the fact that I've been playing professionally for a long time. Maybe these bows are for amateur and beginners? Could be.

My 2 cents
<a href="http://www.myspace.com/fidla">Hear me play</a>
greenspiderweb

Re: incredibows

Post by greenspiderweb »

fidla wrote:I've been playing violin/fiddle since I was 4, almost 40 years (this may)!

Personally, I find these bows incredibly annoying! no offense intended to the maker. I tried two of the bows and couldn't get them to respond in the way I am used to. Perhaps it has something to do with the fact that I've been playing professionally for a long time. Maybe these bows are for amateur and beginners? Could be.

My 2 cents
It's more than 2 cents worth, I'm sure. Since you promote and sell your own brand of carbon fiber bows imported from China, no doubt that has swayed your opinion a little-I've seen you on the other forums too.

Nice try though.
~~~~
Barry
Wanderer
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: I've like been here forever ;)
But I guess you gotta filter out the spambots.
100 characters? Geeze.

Re: incredibows

Post by Wanderer »

greenspiderweb wrote: It's more than 2 cents worth, I'm sure. Since you promote and sell your own brand of carbon fiber bows imported from China, no doubt that has swayed your opinion a little-I've seen you on the other forums too.

Nice try though.
That seems to be going around...