Hector the Hero

The Ultimate On-Line Whistle Community. If you find one more ultimater, let us know.
joey_schu
antispam: No

Post by joey_schu »

This song is so awesome, but what is it about? Who's Hector? Is there an actual story to this? The link on clips and snips shows a portrait of a soldier from the 17-1800s or so... Can anyone fill me in?

I'd like to play this song in church since, with a little expirementation, I found out that "My Shepherd Will Supply My Need" fits PERFECTLY in harmony over the top. Try it! The two melodies totally complement each other when played together. So cool.

Thanks,

Joey
claudine
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: Hi, I am a choir singer from Luxembourg trying to get back to Irish flute playing after a few years of absence from ITM.

Post by claudine »

http://pw1.netcom.com/~reincke/homepage.html
This is a good website about Hector MacDonald.
Whistleworks

Post by Whistleworks »

If you have some extra $$ laying around, go to El McMeen's website, elmcmeen.com, and pick up his new CD, Breakout. On it is the best version of Hector the Hero in Christendom. Dale W. just put in a big plug for this CD in the last C & F newsletter.

Play it in church? You would do yourself and your Maker proud.

Bob
Bloomfield
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8

Post by Bloomfield »

I have great fondness for burly Scots warriors and English Imperialism and all that, of course. But I have been meaning to say this for a long time: I think it takes a lot of damned gall to write a tune called "Hector the Hero" and not have it be about the Hector of Troy, greatest of the Illian warriors, who killed so many Greek fighter, almost destroyed the Greek fleet and thus almost drove the Greeks away. Hector was killed by Achilles, his body was dragged by Achilles behind the chariot around the walls of troy and finally returned to Priam, King of Troy, and buried at the end of the Illiad.
/Bloomfield
Martin Milner
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by Martin Milner »

http://www.davethewave.co.uk/hector/hector.htm

I thought you were all talking about the famous Hector of Hector's House, which just shows to go I have a totally different set of cultural references!

I bet you can't make head or tail of Ivor the Engine, The Clangers, Ludvig, Bod, Noggin the Nog, Willo-the-Wisp, Chorlton and the Wheelies or Bagpuss either.

Glug...glug...

http://www.chorltonandthewheelies.co.uk/
It don't mean a thing if it ain't got that schwing
Kim in Tulsa

Post by Kim in Tulsa »

On 2002-07-13 03:09, joey_schu wrote:
This song is so awesome,
It sure is! I have never heard of it, but I sure an enjoying learning it now! Thanks!

Kim
"Whistling women and crowing hens never come to no good end"
jinje

Post by jinje »

go to the google search engine, type in "Hector the Hero" and the info on this famous Scottish soldier is all over the place