Just how good are you?

The Ultimate On-Line Whistle Community. If you find one more ultimater, let us know.
garycrosby

Post by garycrosby »

I'm a beginner but I'm getting better slowly and steadily. I am happy about that :smile: I only play for myself because I'd be too embarrassed to play for anyone else.

Blaine, Auld Lang Syne is not Irish but its origins are somewhat controversial. The song is commonly, albeit somewhat incorrectly, attributed to the famous Scottish poet Robert Burns. However, both the tune and the original lyrics predate Robert Burns. The tune has been attributed to several people including William Shield of England. We do know that around 1788 Burns did write the lyrics that are most most commonly sung on New Year's Eve. However, we also know that Burns "borrowed" some of the lyrics from earlier Scottish poetry.
Tyghress
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by Tyghress »

Otter, I hear ya about suddenly losing ones nerve in front of a mike. I find that I can play either my dulcimer or my whistle 'solo' quite well, as long as I think no one is really listening.

One of my sessions is at an Irish club twice a month, and the darling folk there feed the musicians from the buffet before everyone else. I don't often eat there, but I'll take that lull to just play my instruments un-self-consciously while everyone else lines up for the grub.
Remember, you didn't get the tiger so it would do what you wanted. You got the tiger to see what it wanted to do. -- Colin McEnroe
paulsdad

Post by paulsdad »

I hate to admit it, but realistically I think I fluctuate between the beginner and novice levels. Unfortunately, I've been at this level for several years. I can play many popular non-Irish tunes by ear (with a few mistakes here and there). I also know a number of traditional tunes and play them with a few mistakes thrown in. I have a hard time finding the practice time to 'hold my own', much less improve. I play strictly for my own enjoyment(probably because no one else would enjoy listening.) I wonder what it would be like to have talent?
cj

Post by cj »

Talent, hmmm, maybe I can buy some at the Whistle Shop!
eskin

Post by eskin »

I'm a professional, playing in groups and leading local sessions and classes here in San Diego. Even so, I'd consider my playing an 7, there is always a long way to go with this music. I think if you ever consider your self more than a 7, you're not listening to enough better players... :smile:

Cheers,

Michael Eskin
http://www.michaeleskin.com
Check out the Irish Music page for lots of live recordings from our local sessions.
Brian Lee
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8

Post by Brian Lee »

WOW! Mike, you're into Astronomy too??? Think it'd be too late to ask Dale for an Astronomy board too? LOL

Next time you're in Salt Lake, stop into the Planetarium. I'll get you in to see any shows you like!

Bri~
StevePower

Post by StevePower »

I found this question fascinating and difficult simultaneously. My first thought was: 'how could anyone answer that' - because how do you know how good (or bad you are) and, surely, one's level of expertise is only relevant to the company one is in at the time!

I could (perhaps) walk into a session peopled by beginners and feel capable of giving them a tune but certainly not try and play with more advanced players. That said, I was at a session in 'Durty Nellie's' pub in Bunratty (near Limerick) on Monday night, and KNEW that I had a singing voice at least as good as anyone who took the floor. I was held back by my fear that I didn't know the songs well enough (and I sell song books!).

I had a Bodhran maker in my shop the other day and he made them 'sing'. For the 20 minutes or so that he was there I felt as 'threatened' and intimidated' as I have ever felt in my life. I was simply afraid that my lack of expertise would show! Actually, he was very complimentary!

OK, I think too much and probably went too deep with your question! I trained in psychoanalysis years ago - maybe that's my problem!

Steve :wink:
AnnaDMartinez
Tell us something.: Good to be home, many changes here, but C&F is still my home! I think about the "old" bunch here and hold you all in the light, I am so lucky to have you all in my life!

Post by AnnaDMartinez »

Hook up with a really good fiddle player and you'll soon find out! LOL! Either that, or you're as good as you feel you are, and if I'm anxious, I don't ask. My performances depend on what kind of an asthma day I'm having!
ErikT

Post by ErikT »

I would say that my ability depends upon where you are wanting me to play. If the music is ecclesiastical/classical and at a sane speed and I have time to practice beforehand then it doesn't bother me to be mic'ed in front of a crowd. And sometimes, if I am quite familiar with the tune, I am willing to play by ear in public. Then again, I'm not particularly scared to make mistakes... and make plenty. The key is to end on the right note; that's the only one anyone remembers :smile: So while I do play in front of people without apology, my skill is probably only intermediate. Definitely not ready for prime time.

But as far as Irish music is concerned, I am a rank amateur. My rhythm is stilted and my understanding of the modes and style is nearly non-existant. And yet, like so many of you, I am happy to continue learning. L.L. and I continue to spend some time together (by book - I don't know the man personally), and I recently purchased a class from Scoiltrad that I am enjoying.

However, my heart - and therefore talent - will always be in playing for God.

Peace,
Erik
Champ

Post by Champ »

I'm somewhere in the upper half of intermediate. I'd happily join in on a session just about anywhere if it's a tune I know well (or one I know reasonably if it's not being played too fast) - but only if I think there are some others present of a similar level of expertise.

I like playing miked - but again, only if it's stuff from my frequently played list.

In summer I go busking with a 1 flute and 1 guitar player in the city. That's a great way of overcoming performance nerves.
mike.r

Post by mike.r »

I've been playing the whistle for about 6 months and low whistle for 2 months so I,m very much a beginer bordering on intermediate as I have played fiddle and mandolin for several years and guitar even longer.I absolutely love the whistle and had I been wiser would have devoted ten years of my life to this instead of violin which was, and still is, dificult to play.The nice thing though,as you multi instrumentalists know very well,is that tunes cross over easily from one instrument to another.Since playing whistle I,ve met some realy nice people who have been eager and generous to share their knowledge and experience.As an Australian living in Austria I sometimes feel like a sqare peg in a round hole and somehow playing the whistle makes me feel good about myself and folks around me.:smile: Mike

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: mike.r on 2001-08-22 18:29 ]</font>
TonyHiggins

Post by TonyHiggins »

I only compare myself to the best professionals. (Not favorably, before you think I have a monster ego.) Their playing is from another universe compared to mine, but that's where I set my sights. I don't have a time frame for getting there and I don't know if I ever will. I'd just like to. In the meantime, sometimes I think I'm doing pretty well, then I record myself and think, oh, how embarrassing, I thought I sounded better than that. If you want to critique (to yourself) my playing, the Clips and Snips stuff I upload is my average limits. I play more comfortably without the microphone, but the posts are after several attempts and a warmup. So, I guess the good and bad of it averages out.

Sessions? I attend a slowplayers session where I feel very comfortable. The people are very friendly. I've gone to a local pub session a few times, but I didn't really enjoy myself, so I'm not excited about returning. It's a bit impersonal. They play fast, but you can't tell if anyone is playing any ornamentation, it's just too noisy. I only know about 1/4 of their reportoire, so that doesn't help. I can keep up speedwise when I know the tune, but the whole experience isn't satisfying, so, whatever. I learn and practice a lot of stuff that doesn't show up in session lists because it's what I like the sound of. I play along with tunes on cd's, so I get to play along with my idols. (Forget playing with Matt Molloy, though, way too fast.) I can jump in with some Chieftains, Dubliners, Planxty, etc, not Mary Bergin. To myself, I'll never sound good enough.

I played once behind a mic on stage with John Palmer and his friend. I got over the stage fright after the first tune set. I went to see the Chieftains a few months ago and they had a local guy join them. (He reads this board. Hi, Richard.) I thought that would have been way too much pressure for me, had they been foolish enough to invite me. I think I would have declined. In fact, I'm sure of it.
Tony
http://tinwhistletunes.com/clipssnip/newspage.htm Officially, the government uses the term “flap,” describing it as “a condition, a situation or a state of being, of a group of persons, characterized by an advanced degree of confusion that has not quite reached panic proportions.”
jim stone

Post by jim stone »

I have no idea how good I am because
mostly I'm playing on the street, either
alone or with a banjo player and a fiddler.
But we're doing more American folk music
and blues than celtic stuff. The rest
of the time I'm playing alone at home. The
street is a great place to be dreadful,
because nobody cares--they're just so
glad you're there. Sometimes we make more
money when we're bad.

I'm certain that there are ten year
old children who play the whistle
better than I ever will. I'm not
terribly concerned to play Celtic music
very quickly, because that isn't where my
talents lie--though Celtic music is
the core of the whistle repertoire, certainly.

Lately I've been listening to mandolin
and guitar duets of tunes like
Shady Grove, and trying to follow
the riffs on the whistle. Makes you
want to live forever.
MarkB

Post by MarkB »

Tyghress --I'm in love with you and Anna and everyone else who posts open ended questions to this board.

You make my day, peek my curiosity to what the whole statement could be. My imagination soars to limits not yet explored by Voyager. I deal with peoples questions every day as a librarian and I just came from work and answered Anna's question "Has anyone ever-------??? It's the nature of the job. Even though we have a sign posted saying "There are no dumb questions" Believe me after twelve years there are really dumb questions out there or as yours is open ended-leaving the imagination to run wild with ecstasy (not the drug).

Then you ask "Just how good are you?
I swear some us could get enough material off this board to do stand up comedy. Just by asking these simple questions.

Well enough. I play well enough to hold my own in a fast session, I have been playing the whistle and the bodhran for seven years. Although the whistle takes a back seat to the bodhran, because my friends want me to play the bodhran which I play very well.

For seven years I sat at the back of pickup ceili band on a Friday night. The accordian player was originally from Donegal (years ago) but has played for Feis for twenty years or more. Since we play for a Ceili dance class, Brian the accordian player uses a drum machine to keep everybody in tempo --dancers-teacher- and the other musicians who want to join in. But the main purpose of us playing is for the dancers not for us necessarilly. So over the years I have deveoped a keen sense of timing on the bodhran which carries over into sessions. But I also learned the music. I lilt every tune I play. This lilting helps me learn the tunes by ear on the whistle.

I don't have a large repetoire of music but give me a few bars and I usually know the tune and play with some confidence. I like airs alot, then slides, hornpipes, jigs, but reels are my weak point.

Like others, I learn tunes for myself and play for my self enjoyment. But you don't want to play by yourself all the time either, that is why we are all here on this board.

I don't really like to rate myself or rate others, I have said this before and I think it is in the archives. A dear friend of mine who was first a teacher to me on the whistle, then a mentor, now a friend who I play with, has a beautiful philosophy about what we are trying to do.

She states; We are all on the same road (learning Irish traditional music), some are just starting out (and she doesn't mean age wise), some are just down the road, some way ahead, some just ahead, and more behind you. It's your journey to travel at a speed that is enjoyable and happiest for you. And the thing is that there will always be someone ahead of you, someone behind, and someone who you think is passing you. It's not the road, its the journey. You make the choice of how you want to travel and at what speed.

In the end I will just say that I play and I look forward to the day that I can play with one or all you. Somewhere down the road.

Mark

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: MarkB on 2001-08-23 00:36 ]</font>
WyoBadger
Tell us something.: "Tell us something" hits me a bit like someone asking me to tell a joke. I can always think of a hundred of them until someone asks me for one. You know how it is. Right now, I can't think of "something" to tell you. But I have to use at least 100 characters to inform you of that.

Post by WyoBadger »

How good am I? It's all relative, I suppose. Until a few weeks ago, I had always considered myself a fairly accomplished player--I play with a band, in a mic, in front of crowds, and by Lander, Wyoming standards I'm a heck of a whistle player (since I'm the only one in the county!).

It was only when I played in my first real sessions a couple weeks ago with Brian and Mack that I realized how MUCH I have to learn, in terms of both technique and tunes. WOW! It was both inspirational and humbling to listen and try to keep up with these outstanding musicians: I know nothing!

But I love this music. It touches my heart in ways that nothing else really does.

Listening to music is a beautiful thing, and although I'm a fairly rational person, a well-played whistle, fiddle, or pipe tune can reduce me to my barest emotions, be it tears, battle cries, or laughter. Often all three at once.

But playing is a different thing entirely. I've sat, in the mountains and the desert, with no one listening except the rocks, the critters, and God. And I've played in front of crowds. (: It's all one. Sometimes the eyes close, the walls vanish, the music takes over. Sometimes I'm not playing notes, I'm playing emotions and thoughts of the soul. In those moments, however it might sound, it's a "10".

God bless.

Tom