a good clip on the ears

Socializing and general posts on wide-ranging topics. Remember, it's Poststructural!
Tommy
antispam: No

Post by Tommy »

Keep whistling. :party:
Tommy

Post by Tommy »

MUSIC
talasiga

REMINDER

Post by talasiga »

susnfx wrote:It appears to me that this thread was started for no other purpose than to stir up trouble that for the most part had already died down. ........

The idea of this thread is to allow a general discussion of sound clips on maker's websites - a discussion which canvasses all levels and complexions of communication tolerated by the owner of this forum.

To hijack a thread initiated to launch one particular maker's website - to hijack it with a general discussion of all websites - seems unfair to me.

I think the rationale for the creation of this thread is pretty patent if you read the initiating post which is amply supported by the quote of Mr Laban.

The discussion of the issue of soundclips does not die down forever just because it has dissipated (or appears to some to have dissipated) in one thread.
qui jure suo utitur neminem laedit
talasiga

Post by talasiga »

Cynth wrote:I........
If a person cannot give an honest educated critique of music performed in public, then there is really not much point to this forum for me. Being a beginner, I really need to hear the opinions of experienced people about the style and repertoire of the playing of others playing ITM. I need to find out who would be good performers to listen to.

:o

If you have been reduced to listening to soundclips on commercial whistle websites to hear a good performer of ITM - my condolences to you !

:roll:
TomB
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Re: a good clip on the ears

Post by TomB »

[quote="talasiga"][I do not mean to be a surrogate moderator here. /quote]

Seems like that is exactly what you are trying to do. If you have an issue with a post, I suggest a PM or e-mail to Dale. This is his place, and he can moderate as he so chooses.

Sure, bring your issues to him, that's proper. Dale, in turn, listens to members opinions, and moderates as he feels best.

All the Best, Tom
"Consult the Book of Armaments"
talasiga

Post by talasiga »

TomB wrote:Seems like that is exactly what you are trying to do. If you have an issue with a post, I suggest a PM or e-mail to Dale. This is his place, and he can moderate as he so chooses.
I would suggest to you that each post in every forum in every website raises an issue. And that is why people interact with it - positively, negatively, humourously, questioningly, tangentially, incredulously, empathetically. No issue, no posts.

There is nothing in Peter Laban's post that would incite me to run to Dale and tittle tattle. In my opinion the inappropriateness of his post has to do with its original placement. I had capacity to remedy that by starting this topic and I am perfectly entitled to do that.

This is a topic where you can discuss the merits of soundclips on makers' websites. I commend it to you ........
peeplj

Post by peeplj »

Folks, what I'm getting from Talasiga is that he's not asking about the merits of a particular website, a particular player, or a particular recording.

What I'm understanding his topic to be is this (talasiga, please forgive me if I misunderstand or get these wrong):

1. Is having sound samples of whistles a good idea for a maker's website? What are the pros and cons?

2. What kind of samples should they be? Reels, jigs, airs, something else? Fast, moderate, slow? Ornamented, plain? etc...

I don't think what this thread has turned out to be is what he intended.

Just my $.02, probably worth exactly what you paid to read it.

--James
TomB

Post by TomB »

talasiga wrote:
TomB wrote:Seems like that is exactly what you are trying to do. If you have an issue with a post, I suggest a PM or e-mail to Dale. This is his place, and he can moderate as he so chooses.
I would suggest to you that each post in every forum in every website raises an issue. And that is why people interact with it - positively, negatively, humourously, questioningly, tangentially, incredulously, empathetically. No issue, no posts.

There is nothing in Peter Laban's post that would incite me to run to Dale and tittle tattle. In my opinion the inappropriateness of his post has to do with its original placement. I had capacity to remedy that by starting this topic and I am perfectly entitled to do that.

This is a topic where you can discuss the merits of soundclips on makers' websites. I commend it to you ........

Then don't go starting your topics with a statement like you did. It might get more people to pay attention. I agree, there is nothing in Peter's post to go running to Dale about.

Now, to the topic.

I, not being particularly musically inclined, am not able to learn anything from soundclips on a makers page. I listen to them, but more out of habit than anything else.

All the Best, Tom
"Consult the Book of Armaments"
Martin Milner

Post by Martin Milner »

A soundclip to demonstrate what a whistle sounds like and is capable of should include -

1) a D scale played slowly, tongued and then slurred, plus arpeggio
2) ditto G scale and arpeggio, then
3) a slow air or song theme, then
4) a jig or reel played at session speed.

You can sustitute some other type of music (e.g. Kwela) for the jig or reel, but as the vast majority of whistles are used for ITM, it seems the most sensible choice.