Name Artist/CD please?

For all instruments -- please read F.A.Q. before posting.
Tyghress
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Name Artist/CD please?

Post by Tyghress »

Not much to go on. It was a female vocalist on this http://www.liveireland.com/live.shtml radio who sang a tune that said something about 'slieve galan brae' (well, that's what it sounded like to me! sorry) I'm not often taken with vocals, but this was really lovely. If you could help me locate the CD I'd be very happy.

I'd figure someone would name the tune of that I heard and I can locate the CD by searching tracklists.

Thx!
Remember, you didn't get the tiger so it would do what you wanted. You got the tiger to see what it wanted to do. -- Colin McEnroe
m ó c

Post by m ó c »

it might well be Dolores Keane. i seem to remember hearing a cd on which she sang the air Sliabh Gallion. i don't know the name of the album but.

slán

mick ó c
Bloomfield
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8

Re: Name Artist/CD please?

Post by Bloomfield »

Tyghress wrote:Not much to go on. It was a female vocalist on this http://www.liveireland.com/live.shtml radio who sang a tune that said something about 'slieve galan brae' (well, that's what it sounded like to me! sorry) I'm not often taken with vocals, but this was really lovely. If you could help me locate the CD I'd be very happy.

I'd figure someone would name the tune of that I heard and I can locate the CD by searching tracklists.

Thx!
Sliabh Gallion Braes is on Farewell to Eirinn, by Dolores Keane & John Faulkner. Lovely tune. I sing that quite a bit (got it off Dolores, too), and you may have heard me at the Harp doing it with David in harmony (in fact I seem to remember you being there the very first time we did it together, a couple of years ago.)

As I went a-walking one morning in May
To view yon fair valleys and mountains so gay
I was thinking of the flowers all doomed to decay
As they bloom around the bonny, bonny, Sliabh Gallion Braes

How oft of a morning with my dog and my gun
I used to go walking for joy and for fun
But those days they are all over and I must go away
So farewell onto you bonny, bonny, Sliabh Gallions Braes

How oft of an evening and the sun in the West
I used to go roving with the one I loved best
But the hopes of youth are vanished and I am far away
So farewell onto you bonny, bonny, Sliabh Gallion Braes

It was not the want of employment at home
That caused all the sons of old Ireland to roam
But those tyranizing landlords they would not let us stay
So farewell onto you bonny, bonny, Sliabh Gallion Braes

And the rents were getting higher and we could no longer stay
So farewell onto you bonny, bonny, Sliabh Gallion Breas

(Next time I'll see you I'll sing it for you, Tygh.)
/Bloomfield
Tyghress

Post by Tyghress »

Right tune, but not the vocalist I'm looking for. Any other guesses? I'm going hunting for that tune now....many thanks for the ID of the tune, Mick, and Bloo, I appreciate the clip so I could be sure.

BTW, I took a look that that CD, and it looks pretty wonderful. I may get it anyway!
Remember, you didn't get the tiger so it would do what you wanted. You got the tiger to see what it wanted to do. -- Colin McEnroe
bensdad

braes

Post by bensdad »

Mary McPartlan recorded it in 2003 on The Holland Handkerchief. Do you remember harmony vocals? If so, that's the one.
dubhlinn
antispam: No

Post by dubhlinn »

This song is in the repetoire of so many singers that it is almost mandatory amongest singers.
There are many recorded versions out there but if you want to learn it then you should look at the Dolores Keane version.
There are very few versions of anything that can compete with Dolores's version of them - excuse the mangled syntax,I'm drunkish.
I don't usually listen to liveireland but when I have ,I did notice that they tend to repeat a lot so keep listening and you might catch the name next time.

Slan,
D. (hic..)
And many a poor man that has roved,
Loved and thought himself beloved,
From a glad kindness cannot take his eyes.

W.B.Yeats