Practice makes perfect...

The Ultimate On-Line Whistle Community. If you find one more ultimater, let us know.
StewySmoot
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Practice makes perfect...

Post by StewySmoot »

In my 3 + years learning to play the whistle and trolling the forum, I have learned a few things:
1. Find a whistle that feels comfortable to play from a finger and breath viewpoint, not necessarily the most popular
2. Hold your fingers any way you feel comfortable
3. Practice as much as possible with material that makes you feel comfortable.

I am a 52 yo Engineer (read: old, stuck in his ways, very few creative bones in his body) who knows a few 60s chord progressions on the guitar, cant read music.

After initial WhOa, I primarily play Freemans, Dixon tunables, and the occasional Copeland (Something about conicals bug me) for hi D and am sold on Phil Hardy's Low Ds.
(I know I keep threatening to write my "Smoot's review of KerryWhistle's OS and NR Chieftains and Kerry Pros", but it comes out as a vindictive, vitriol-riddled jab at those who think Phil's whistles are similar to Overtons. I own both and they simply are not: The fingering is different and the upper octave breath requirement for Phil's instruments is less. Amplitude control is easier with Phil's, too.)

I spent a lot of time learning the thing. After the first year, I was happy that I could play maybe 10-12 slow to moderate tunes on it. Some days I could play "ok", others I sounded like I was blowing into a toilet paper roll. I would give up on it for days.
But I finally got a good feel for the note structure.

Eventually I collected over 1000 MP3s on my computer and started playing along with them at regular speed. I knew only a few of the tunes as I was more interested in first learning the "feel" of the music. I figured eventually I would learn the actual tune. At first it sounded like gibberish but my fingers got into the habit of playing the style.

I practiced this way maybe 6-7 hours/week for perhaps the past year or so. My travel sked for the past few years has made if difficult to plan to sit in with any sessions.

So Thurs night I stop into a bar in Southern MD that is featuring "live music" for St. Patty's day. It was a local singer/songwriter guitarist, another guitarist and a bluegrass fiddler from the Annapolis area. They are playing the standard Irish drinking songs. The last tune from their first set was "the red-haired boy" which was spot-on.
In between sets, I told them I played the whistle and asked if I could sit in on one of their tunes and they said sure. The whistle I had with me was my dog-chewed Jerry Freeman Feadog/Gen he made for me some years back. If is not a loud whistle but they were willing to unplug their amps to accommodate.

So the fiddler says she is going to play "St. Anne's Reel" and launches into it. After a few notes I jump in. She is tossing to me, I play a few measures, toss back and jump in after she does her thing.

Tune is over and the fiddler says my playing is excellent. I say thanks and then said something which made me feel very good:

" I never heard that tune before..."

I had never heard of "St. Anne's Reel" but over time I learned what it took to play it.

We played a few other tunes, Musical Priest, Wind that Shakes the Barley and some airs.

I was asked to sit in on their next practice.

So if any beginners wonder if you can ever get the hang of playing the whistle, as I did 3 years ago, the answer is yes, you can.
<a href="http://www.whistletotheworld.com/" target="_blank"> Whistle to the World</a>
Helping underprivileged kids learn music via the Irish Whistle.
Jack

Post by Jack »

I've always like 'practice makes permanent' better. It's more true, I feel, because it's...uh...more true. :)
Jack

Post by Jack »

P.S., 52 is not old! :)
DarnTootin

Post by DarnTootin »

I really appreciate your story, StewySmoot. I've been playing for a year. So far, I really enjoy playing and learning. I'm relatively pleased with the progress I've made (around where you were after a year--though I do play some jigs and hornpipes, not just slower tunes), but I do often ask myself, "Will I ever be able to sit down with a group of musicians and play with them?" So you've given me some additional hope of what's possible!

For me, the things I want to work on in the near future are: 1) Continuing to wean myself off of written music. I work on this, but it's like giving up an addiction. But I have confidence that if I stop depending on written music, my musical ear will naturally improve, and other things will start to fall into place (ornamentation, rhythm, etc). 2) Improving my rhythm (I used to question whether this is possible; but now I believe that it is) 3) Continuing to immerse myself in the music, and--of course--listen, listen, listen 4) Possibly, find an instructor and or slow session. I think maybe a slow session will help me get over my doubts about playing with others, and that I'd learn a lot for it.

Anyhow, enough about me. I find the story of successful beginners to be more inspiring than the words of people who have been playing for 40 years. And your yarn went a long way...
Cynth

Post by Cynth »

Well thank you Stewy for these encouraging words. I have been at it since September and have been having a heck of a time. I have been having all the experiences you talk about in your first year. It is helpful to hear from someone who persevered but is not so far along that they can't remember what starting out was like. I will be happy to have 10-12 slow to moderate tunes by next September. And I think I might. I don't know if I will be where you are in 3 years, but that's okay. At this point I cannot imagine playing with other people and I think you should feel very, very proud of yourself and your ability to keep at it!!!!! :party: :party:
BillChin

Post by BillChin »

Way to go Stewy.

I am not as dedicated in terms of practice time, and have been at a lot longer. I would offer these tips:
* Enjoy your music. If it isn't fun, a person is unlikely to stay with it long term.
* Practice or play every day. Even if it is only for a few minutes. A small amount of time daily is more effective than a big chunk once a week. TV commercials, time stuck on long red lights are enough to get out a few notes.
* Reinforce good habits, not mistakes. I point to this essay:
http://www.eddielewis.com/trumpet/essay ... gscore.htm
I would wager that the vast majority of players practice the first way, and actually reinforce mistakes.
* If a person aspires to play Irish Traditional Music, listen to as much high quality playing as possible. Sheet music, MIDI files and books are inadequate if ITM is the goal.

Again, enjoy your music :)
+ Bill
dubhlinn
antispam: No

Post by dubhlinn »

An excellent post there Stewy,

This is exactly the kind of thing that encourages and inspires people who are relatively new to the Whistle and ITM.

Well said...

Slan,
D.
And many a poor man that has roved,
Loved and thought himself beloved,
From a glad kindness cannot take his eyes.

W.B.Yeats
kevin m.

Post by kevin m. »

Great posting Stewy!
It's great that your hard work has paid off and been recognised by other musicians.
I'm really pleased for you! :)
"I blame it on those Lead Fipples y'know."
Duffy

Post by Duffy »

Thanks for the shared experiencce Stewy. I''m about 15 yrs ahead of you on being old. . . we ain't compared to many others here. I've been playing about two years and just now getting the 'sit there and play along and you'll get it' stage. I know I can, I think I can, well I'm pretty sure I might be able to eventually. I'm glad to hear somebody else that I can identify with age wise say they did.

People ask why I spend time on these boards. I try to explain that this is where we can get information, and encouragement, and the knowledge that we're not the only ones trying to do this stuff. That's a lot better than I can get from the dog.

Thanks for the testimony.
Jack

Post by Jack »

Duffy wrote:Thanks for the shared experiencce Stewy. I''m about 15 yrs ahead of you on being old.
I know we have at least one member who is in their 80s. :)

And one who is 14 (or mabey 15 now, I can't remember). We're really diverse as far as age is concerned.
Loren
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: You just slip out the back, Jack
Make a new plan, Stan
You don't need to be coy, Roy
Just get yourself free
Hop on the bus, Gus
You don't need to discuss much
Just drop off the key, Lee
And get yourself free

Post by Loren »

Cranberry wrote:I've always like 'practice makes permanent' better. It's more true, I feel, because it's...uh...more true. :)
Well, nothing is really permanent, if you think about it.......

And, as I always told my (Martial Arts) students: "Only perfect practice makes perfect."

However I think one could also debate the existance (or lack of) perfection, so :roll:

:lol:

L
Jack

Post by Jack »

Loren wrote:
Cranberry wrote:I've always like 'practice makes permanent' better. It's more true, I feel, because it's...uh...more true. :)
Well, nothing is really permanent, if you think about it.......

And, as I always told my (Martial Arts) students: "Only perfect practice makes perfect."

However I think one could also debate the existance (or lack of) perfection, so :roll:

:lol:

L
Then can lack of permanence be permanent? ;)
Loren
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: You just slip out the back, Jack
Make a new plan, Stan
You don't need to be coy, Roy
Just get yourself free
Hop on the bus, Gus
You don't need to discuss much
Just drop off the key, Lee
And get yourself free

Post by Loren »

Cranberry wrote: Then can lack of permanence be permanent? ;)
Hey, you're going to make me have to actually think, stop that.

Loren
Danner

Post by Danner »

And one who is 14 (or mabey 15 now, I can't remember). We're really diverse as far as age is concerned.
I just turned 14. I think that's one of the coolest things about music. People from all different ages and cultures can get together, play, and enjoy music. Even though we all get something different out of it, we still can relate to it and each other. We all have different experiences and can teach and learn from each other. Hurray for C&F!!!!
"'Tis deeds, not blood, which determine the worth of a being." -Dennis L. McKiernan