Ring Flute

The Chiff & Fipple Irish Flute on-line community. Sideblown for your protection.
Dale
The Landlord
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Ring Flute

Post by Dale »

Jayhawk
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: Well, just trying to update my avatar after a decade. Hope this counts! Ok, so apparently I must babble on longer.

Post by Jayhawk »

That's an interesting looking beast! I wonder if you can wear it on your head like a tiara?

Eric
Wormdiet

Post by Wormdiet »

have fun tuning it!
OOOXXO
Doing it backwards since 2005.
fyffer

Post by fyffer »

At first I thought it would be a fun novelty item, then upon further inspection it seems that thing would be really weird to play...

note from the picture that both hands are facing the same way.
It appears the coil extends to the right of the player, making your right hand the top and your left hand the bottom, so "normal" simple system fingers of

(L)1 2 3 (R) 4 5 6 suddenly becomes (R)1 2 3 (L) 6 5 4

(edit: Also just noticed there are 7 holes, too!)

I dunno about you folks, but I don't think I could reverse my hands *and* fingerings like that.

In order to play it normally, you'd have to cross your arms in front of you put your left hand inside the loop, facing forward, right hand outside the loop facing in.

For $79, I'll make mine out of a garden hose.
___\|/______________________________
|___O____|_O_O_o_|_o_O__O__|_O__O__|
Henke

Post by Henke »

Good stuff! Finally a flute that is set up for lefties like myself as standard :D
Father Emmet

Post by Father Emmet »

Looks like it would make a good throwing weapon, like that thing Xena the Warrior Princess has. Would it produce a tone while whizzing through the air?
Nanohedron
Moderatorer
Tell us something.: Been a fluter, citternist, and uilleann piper; committed now to the way of the harp.

Oh, yeah: also a mod here, not a spammer. A matter of opinion, perhaps.

Post by Nanohedron »

A dilettante's rubbish. One obviously can't use the Rockstro grip on it, after all, so what good can it be?
glauber

Post by glauber »

That's an ocarina. I don't think he invented it; i have a "doughnut" shaped ocarina that's basically the same thing, just smaller. It's a toy, or something to take out of your bag of tricks in a gig.
On the Internet, nobody knows you're a dog!
--Wellsprings--
Wanderer
Tell us something.: I've like been here forever ;)
But I guess you gotta filter out the spambots.
100 characters? Geeze.

Post by Wanderer »

glauber wrote:That's an ocarina. I don't think he invented it; i have a "doughnut" shaped ocarina that's basically the same thing, just smaller. It's a toy, or something to take out of your bag of tricks in a gig.
I don't think it's an ocarina. An ocarina is a "vessel flute"..blowing across the mouth of a jug is like playing an ocarina. Looking at the little "venting hole" on one side leads me to believe there may be a wall inside there somewhere. That would make this a curved tube, elegantly joined so as to look like a ring, but where the bore does not go around the entire ring.

I've drawn in red how I think the bore is made in this thing..excuse the amateurishness..I'm stuck at work with MSPaint :)

glauber

Post by glauber »

Wanderer wrote:
glauber wrote:That's an ocarina. I don't think he invented it; i have a "doughnut" shaped ocarina that's basically the same thing, just smaller. It's a toy, or something to take out of your bag of tricks in a gig.
I don't think it's an ocarina. An ocarina is a "vessel flute"..blowing across the mouth of a jug is like playing an ocarina. Looking at the little "venting hole" on one side leads me to believe there may be a wall inside there somewhere. That would make this a curved tube, elegantly joined so as to look like a ring, but where the bore does not go around the entire ring.

I've drawn in red how I think the bore is made in this thing..excuse the amateurishness..I'm stuck at work with MSPaint :)

I could be wrong, but i think that end-pipe is just decoration.
On the Internet, nobody knows you're a dog!
--Wellsprings--
fyffer

Post by fyffer »

glauber wrote: I could be wrong, but i think that end-pipe is just decoration.
No, I really think it would have to be open. Otherwise, all the holes closed would produce the one-octave below tonic sound -- imagine plugging the end of your flute and playing the low d. Different physics for a one-end open tube (like a bottle) than a both-ends open tube (flute/whistle). I think Wanderer got it right -- that's the way I envisioned it as well.
___\|/______________________________
|___O____|_O_O_o_|_o_O__O__|_O__O__|
I.D.10-t

Post by I.D.10-t »

Great, when I play badly people would be paying attention to the flute not me. :lol:

The embrochure plate looks like it leaves a short chimney and the cut is a very rectangular one. I wonder what blowing one would feel like.

Yesterday I was thinking about artistic shapes for the flute and was wondering if there was any reason why you coulden't cut a heart shape instead of a round hole in the two vent holes in the foot? (coulden't do this to the holes you actually fingure)
"Be not deceived by the sweet words of proverbial philosophy. Sugar of lead is a poison."
Blayne Chastain
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Post by Blayne Chastain »

wow... pure sh*t... I just had a listen to the sound clip!

:o
peeplj

Post by peeplj »

The sound clip reminded me very much of the sound of the Hall pyrex flute.

--James
I.D.10-t

Post by I.D.10-t »

Listening to the clip I noticed that the instrument never seemed to be pushed to the limits as far as responsiveness or range. (Did it even break into the second octave?)

What key is it? It sounded like a high A flute and looks about the right size.

All criticism of the playability aside, I am starting to wonder if this was an artistic vision or a marketing gimmick. I am all for the former, but fear the latter.
"Be not deceived by the sweet words of proverbial philosophy. Sugar of lead is a poison."