An Excellent CD.

For all instruments -- please read F.A.Q. before posting.
dubhlinn
antispam: No

An Excellent CD.

Post by dubhlinn »

Recently a very kind and thoughtful member of our little collective sent me a CD, and I thought it only fair to post up some comments on it.There was a previous thread concerning this album but I lost the link so these comments have not been influenced by anything that may have gone before.
This album is titled "Mouth Box" and features the masterful harmonica and whistle playing of a young Illinois based musician called James Conway.
James leads the playing on a variety of Diatonic/Chromatic harmonicas and his playing throughout is nothing less than astonishing. An album of Harmonica playing would not be my first, or second ,choice of listening but this breaks all my previous conceptions of Harmonica music wide open.
There is a perfect sense of timing and an unrivalled understanding of ornamentation on every track. All of the tunes are well known session standards. The arrangements are faultless in as much that they never intrude on the music,a trap that a lot of Bands-including those who really should know better- often fall into.
James is joined on this album by an even dozen other fine players though only a small few play together at any one timewhich,as I stated earlier,gives the Music plenty of room to breathe.
Each and every track is a joy to listen to and as much as I would like to discuss each one individually I will just mention the ones that blew me away.
"Carolans Concerto" is stunning.Most renditions of this tune tend to turn into a bit of a heads down race to the finishing line but James slows the tempo down to a crawl,thus bringing out the often overlooked elegance of this piece.This tune was,after all,composed as a riposte to the seventeenth century composer Corelli.
As if James harmonica work on this track was not enough to break ones heart,the accompaniment on Hammered Dulcimer played in a very Hapsichord type style will do it anyway.Superb.
Another favourite would have to be "Tabhair dom de Lamh" listed here in its English version of the name.Planxtys version casts a very long shadow but this is a much more gentle version aided and abetted by some beautiful piano.If only all pianists had this taste the world of ITM would be a much better place.'Tis a shame that this track only lasts for 2'28", I wish they had of brought it round another two or three times.
Apart from the two tracks I've mentioned,the rest of the album is made up of Jigs,Reels and Hornpipes.James is also a fine whistle player - Burkes being used throughout.
This man has been involved in the playing of ITM from a young age and it shows.He has a great understanding of Fiddle,Pipes,and Accordian music and uses ornamentation associated with these instruments with great taste and skill.He also has a great love of the Blues and this also shows up in the music -or "Between the notes" to borrow Peter Labans delightful phrase.A lot of Blues playing ornamentation pops in and out with the speed of Mary Bergins taps and adds greatly to the overall playing.This juxtaposition of two styles comes as no surprise to me as what ITM is to one much maligned and persecuted race, the Blues is to another.This would suggest to me that James is a man very much at ease with himself and his music and his playing comes from somewhere deep in his Soul.
The sound quality of the album is excellent considering that these people did not have the huge budgets and high tech studio facilities available to the Altans and Lunasas of the world.
I would urge people to get a copy of this wonderful CD.It is a delight to listen to,and would also be a great teaching asset as the tunes are all very well known and regularly played in Sessions.

Many thanks to all concerned.

Slan,
D.

PS.
just to add the usual disclaimer that I have no connection to any of the people involved in the making,sale or distribution of this album...

..though if i ever get to Illinois i'll be looking for a few free pints..

PPS.
This post looked a lot neater before I posted it.I'll have to check out some keyboard lessons :oops:

Edit:James plays Burke whistles on this recording and not Dixons as I originally posted.No offence to either maker,it was a slip of the fingers.. :oops:
Last edited by dubhlinn on Thu Feb 17, 2005 11:21 am, edited 1 time in total.
And many a poor man that has roved,
Loved and thought himself beloved,
From a glad kindness cannot take his eyes.

W.B.Yeats
GaryKelly
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by GaryKelly »

You liked it then? :)
Image "It might be a bit better to tune to one of my fiddle's open strings, like A, rather than asking me for an F#." - Martin Milner
izzarina

Post by izzarina »

Excellent review, dub!!! I would love to hear the cd myself now. Your descriptions were fantastic.
Someday, everything is gonna be diff'rent
When I paint my masterpiece.
Wombat

Post by Wombat »

Welcome to the Jim Conway fan club, D. He's a pretty handy whistler and a superb blues player as well. He's also a really nice guy.
Harpgal

Post by Harpgal »

I too would like to hear this CD.

Seems Conway's website no longer exists but Celtic Grooves has the CD.

Found the earlier review in the archives. http://www.chiffandfipple.com/cf12-8-02/cf.html
Wombat

Post by Wombat »

I'm certain it will be possible to organise distribution of the CD but I don't want to jump in till people geographically better placed to do so chime in. Watch this space. (If you're in my part of the world, PM me.)

I'm not sure how regularly Jim is gigging now. He had a day job last I heard that was getting in the way of the music.
Last edited by Wombat on Thu Feb 17, 2005 10:59 am, edited 1 time in total.
carrie

Post by carrie »

Great review, dubhlinn! I especially appreciated your comment about how this music comes from deep in James' soul. I have the pleasure of knowing James, having taken whistle lessons from him, and we had many talks on this subject, on the source of the music, and for that matter on so many rich subjects of life itself, far beyond the whistle but somehow all tied to the music.

This music is definitely in the "must share" category and it's wonderful to see the CD get more attention. For those of you looking for clips, you can find a few here, on the site of The Sprigs, a band James plays with now. You can also get info on ordering the CD there.

Carol
Wombat

Post by Wombat »

cskinner wrote:Great review, dubhlinn! I especially appreciated your comment about how this music comes from deep in James' soul. I have the pleasure of knowing James, having taken whistle lessons from him, and we had many talks on this subject, on the source of the music, and for that matter on so many rich subjects of life itself, far beyond the whistle but somehow all tied to the music.

This music is definitely in the "must share" category and it's wonderful to see the CD get more attention. For those of you looking for clips, you can find a few here, on the site of The Sprigs, a band James plays with now. You can also get info on ordering the CD there.

Carol
Well that didn't take long. We call this sport synchronised promoting. :lol:
dubhlinn

Post by dubhlinn »

GaryKelly wrote:You liked it then? :)
As Glauber once said,(in another context );

(bleep) Brilliant!

Slan,
D.

...runs for cover before the word police burst in...
And many a poor man that has roved,
Loved and thought himself beloved,
From a glad kindness cannot take his eyes.

W.B.Yeats
izzarina

Post by izzarina »

dubhlinn wrote:
GaryKelly wrote:You liked it then? :)
As Glauber once said,(in another context );

(bleep) Brilliant!
GASP!!!! :o
Someday, everything is gonna be diff'rent
When I paint my masterpiece.
Flyingcursor
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: This is the first sentence. This is the second of the recommended sentences intended to thwart spam its. This is a third, bonus sentence!

Post by Flyingcursor »

Great. I've heard of him but not heard him. As a harmonica player I'd love to hear more and get the CD.
I'm no longer trying a new posting paradigm
JConway

Post by JConway »

Hello Chiff!

My friend, Carol Skinner, has informed me that there was some nice chat about my CD on the Chiff. Jesus, what an understatement! Thank you so much for all the kind words, and Dubhlinn if I should meet you someday, you got several frosty beverages coming your way!

The music is going strong this year for me and my band, The Sprigs. The gigs are coming in, along with new tunes and songs, and we're ready to make up for lost time! Check out our website, www.thesprigs.com, for our schedule and more.

Keep on Chiffin' in the free world!

James Conway
harp3333@hotmail.com
www.thesprigs.com

P.S. If you dig Irish harmonica, check out my overseas harmonica brother, Steve Shaw's CD, "Blowing Through the Reeds". The man knows his harp!
The Weekenders

Post by The Weekenders »

Since you're tuned in James, I want to say that I have had the distinct pleasure of playing your disc for non-Celty musician and other types of friends on several occassions. Universal appreciation for your efforts!!
How do you prepare for the end of the world?
SteveShaw
Location: Beautiful, beautiful north Cornwall. The Doom Bar is on me.

Post by SteveShaw »

Hi James

Good to meet you on this list too! All those people who want to hear your CD - I could always burn them a copy - ONLY JOKING MATE! It's a real cracker and I hope you're selling truckloads still. Not sure about the frosty beverages - I sincerely hope that the pubs in Chicago don't serve their Guinness too chilled, otherwise when I catch you there you'll have to line my six pints up an hour in advance. One day...

Cheers

Steve

"Go thou and blow now" (Tony Glover)
"Last night, among his fellow roughs,
He jested, quaff'd and swore."

They cut me down and I leapt up high
I am the life that'll never, never die.
I'll live in you if you'll live in me -
I am the lord of the dance, said he!