Good news for amputees

The Ultimate On-Line Whistle Community. If you find one more ultimater, let us know.
StevieJ
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: Old hand, active in the early 2000s. Less active in recent years but still lurking from time to time.

Good news for amputees

Post by StevieJ »

Wednesday 24 November 2004 sees the launch in Montreal of a CD of what may be the most unusual work ever composed for tin whistle:

"Douze suites trad pour flageolet à une main"
(Twelve suites in traditional style for one-handed tin whistle)
by Jean Duval.

Jean writes:
I composed these suites in September 2001 (nos. 1 to 6) and October 2002 (nos. 6 to 12) as a challenge, to see whether I could make tunes that could be played on an ordinary six-hole tin whistle using only one hand in a variety of modes and keys. The styles of the suites are all inspired by traditional music, mostly Irish, Scottish and Québécois. In form and spirit, they resemble some works of the baroque period. That is why I have numbered them and given them old-fashioned titles.

I dedicate all these suites to Packie Manus Byrne, storyteller, singer and whistle player from Donegal, Ireland. Packie’s composition “The Swamp Reed March,” which can be played with one hand, provided the initial inspiration for this project, along with his liking for sets made up of slow airs and dance tunes with melodic similarities.

Using four fingers of the top hand, it is possible to get all the notes chromatically from F# to C# in two octaves, plus d'' in the third octave. For two of the suites Jean resorted to a bit of tape over the E hole, and halfway over the same hole for another.

Jean is a very prolific composer of great tunes for two hands - he published a collection of some 300 tunes recently. The tunes here are all very plausible, even if the missing notes and frequent octave jumping does give them a certain characteristic flavour. An unbelievable achievement, really.

The CD and scores will be available after the launch - I'll let you know how to get them. The music will give your fingers a good workout, and the suites make stunning party pieces.

Anyway, come to the launch if you can. Doors open at 6pm but get there early, the place only holds 130 people and there's quite a buzz surrounding this event already. <a href="http://www.rogermillington.com/steam/on ... f">Details here.</a>

Steve

PS The music (from Jean's liner notes for the CD):
  1. Suite no. 1 in F sharp minor – La Peverilienne Peveril is the hamlet in southwestern Québec where I live. This suite is very “Peverilian” in style, blending traditional Scottish influences with more modern flavours.
  2. Suite no. 2 in G major – L’Hibernienne de l’est “Hibernia” is an old name for Ireland. Although traditional music has stronger roots in the west of Ireland than in the east, I associate this suite’s lyrical major-mode melodies with the east of the country.
  3. Suite no. 3 in A Myxolydian – L’Erse “Erse” is another name for Scots Gaelic, the language of the Scottish Highlands. The Highlands are, of course, the homeland of the famous Scottish bagpipes which this suite echoes.
  4. Suite no. 4 in A minor – L’Hibernienne de l’ouest The west coast of Ireland is the heart of traditional Irish music, and especially of the Galway style, in which the music flows sweetly and with melancholy, as in this suite.
  5. Suite no. 5 in B minor – La Néo-trad The expression “neo-traditional” could be used to describe a style of traditional music that originated in the 1970s with groups such as Planxty: modal harmonies, guitar and bouzouki providing a rhythmic accompaniment, etc.
  6. Suite no. 6 in C major – La Belle Époque I have had a few opportunities to play the waltz-lancer quadrille for dance troupes. This suite is in the spirit of the waltz-lancer, the parlour music of the early 20th Century (the Belle Époque).
  7. Suite no. 7 in C major – La Calédonienne The Lowlands of Scotland (Caledonia) were the birthplace of our traditional fiddle music in the 18th Century. Among the features of that period found in this suite are romantic and regular airs and strathspeys.
  8. Suite no. 8 in D Myxolydian – La Miltownienne Miltown Malbay is a small town in County Clare, Ireland, that hosts a traditional music festival every year. This suite is in imitation of tunes played on the Irish or uilleann pipes.
  9. Suite no. 9 in D major – La Magnymontoise Montmagny is a small town below Québec City on the south shore of the St. Lawrence river. It is the province’s accordion capital, with a distinct style, which inspired me for this suite.
  10. Suite no. 10 in E minor – La Bretonne Breton traditional music is distinguished by much older dance forms dating back to the Renaissance. This suite features three different types of dance tune with answering whistles, after an air with a bluesy flavour.
  11. Suite no. 11 in F major – L’Outaouaise The Ottawa Valley style is associated with fiddle and stepdance contests. Fiddlers enjoy playing showy waltzes full of chromatic runs, while stepdancers perform a hornpipe-jig-reel sequence during these competitions.
  12. Suite no. 12 in F sharp major Phrygian – La Transylvaine Since British Isles musicians began to include Eastern European traditional music on their recordings, we have heard more and more compositions in this broad style, as in this suite.
GaryKelly
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by GaryKelly »

That is extremely cool. Thanks StevieJ.
Image "It might be a bit better to tune to one of my fiddle's open strings, like A, rather than asking me for an F#." - Martin Milner
MarkB

Post by MarkB »

WOW! Windsor is to far away for tonight!

That's great news Steve, I think I just found a Christmas present for myself!!!

Thank you very much for posting this!

MarkB
Everybody has a photographic memory. Some just don't have film.
StevieJ
Tell us something.: Old hand, active in the early 2000s. Less active in recent years but still lurking from time to time.

Post by StevieJ »

MarkB wrote:WOW! Windsor is to far away for tonight!
It's next week, Mark, the 24th, so maybe you can make it after all...
Bloomfield

Post by Bloomfield »

I have Jean Duval's collection of tunes for two-handed whistlers, and it has some great tunes in there. Many lovely waltzes are included and tunes of all different flavors. Wonderful collection, and I wish I could make it up on the 24th.

Will Jean play some of his tunes, one arm tied behind his back?
/Bloomfield
IDAwHOa
Tell us something.: I play whistles. I sell whistles. This seems just a BIT excessive to the cause. A sentence or two is WAY less than 100 characters.

Post by IDAwHOa »

I am not a composer, but I have been fooling around with just playing with one hand to see if I could get something that sounded good. Glad to see I am not that only one!

I need to learn a LOT more before making a CD though! :P
Steven - IDAwHOa - Wood Rocks

"If you keep asking questions.... You keep getting answers." - Miss Frizzle - The Magic School Bus
Jeferson

Post by Jeferson »

One-handed tunes?! This seems like a good starting point for buskers who want to play a pair of whistles at once and grab the attention of passersby. :)

Thanks for the heads up, Steve.
Jef
Brian Lee

Post by Brian Lee »

Cathal McConnel of Boys of the Lough fame has been doing a similar sort of thing for years - playing two whistles, each one with one hand. Amazing effect to see and hear live. Beth sent me a recording a while back of this very phenom. You can hear it here (though to see it live is magical!):

http://www.saltlakepipers.com/Temporary ... b_duet.mp3

It's about 2 megs so be patient...it's worth it!
Flyingcursor
Tell us something.: This is the first sentence. This is the second of the recommended sentences intended to thwart spam its. This is a third, bonus sentence!

Post by Flyingcursor »

Yet another person I've never heard of. It's depressing to think of all the great musicians out there and I don't know about them.

I'll have to get some CDs by this person.
I'm no longer trying a new posting paradigm
StevieJ

Post by StevieJ »

Nice clip Brian. Packie Manus Byrne used to do that kind of thing too, with two whistles - or even three whistles with the help of rubber shower hoses. That's where Jean got the idea for these suites from.

But I think it's safe to say that Jean has successfully taken the idea further than anyone else, and probably further than anyone else could ever have imagined. Once the launch is over I'll see if I can't get some clips posted. On the CD Jean is variously accompanied on guitar, harp, piano and percussion by some excellent players.

Yes Bloo, Jean will be playing two or three of the suites at the launch, with the accompanists. I'm supposed to be playing the answering whistle in the Breton suite, which is one of the ones that involves taping up the E hole. This means that all the F#s have to be half-holed with the little finger of the left hand, which is proving to be, er, a new and interesting challenge.
brewerpaul
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Post by brewerpaul »

There is classical precident for this: several composers including Ravel have written excellent music for piano one hand (with orchestral accompaniment). If you close your eyes and listen, it's hard to believe it's being played by a musician using only one hand.
I look forward to hearing this whistle music!
Got wood?
http://www.Busmanwhistles.com
Let me custom make one for you!
Jay-eye

Re: Good news for amputees

Post by Jay-eye »

StevieJ wrote:Wednesday 24 November 2004 sees the launch in Montreal of a CD of what may be the most unusual work ever composed for tin whistle:

"Douze suites trad pour flageolet à une main"
(Twelve suites in traditional style for one-handed tin whistle)
by Jean Duval.
Come on, someone, POST A CLIP, for cryin' out loud!
This is mental cruelty! :boggle: :-? :boggle: :-? :boggle:

j.i.
Tóg go bog é, dude.....

j.i.
jsluder

Post by jsluder »

Brian Lee wrote:Cathal McConnel of Boys of the Lough fame has been doing a similar sort of thing for years - playing two whistles, each one with one hand. Amazing effect to see and hear live. Beth sent me a recording a while back of this very phenom. You can hear it here (though to see it live is magical!):

http://www.saltlakepipers.com/Temporary ... b_duet.mp3

It's about 2 megs so be patient...it's worth it!
Cathal McConnell plays Meg whistles?! Who'd'a'thunkit! :)

I saw (and heard) John Williams (formerly of Solas) play two whistles at once when he was touring with Tim O'Brian. Pretty neat.

Cheers,
John
Giles: "We few, we happy few."
Spike: "We band of buggered."
rh

Post by rh »

Brian Lee wrote:Cathal McConnel of Boys of the Lough fame has been doing a similar sort of thing for years - playing two whistles, each one with one hand.
then there's david amram...
there is no end to the walking
AaronMalcomb

Post by AaronMalcomb »

Kyle Gass of Tenacious D performed a similar feat on SNL a couple years ago when Jack Black hosted.

Kevin Crawford did the bi-whistle trick on a Bulgarian tunes during the last Lúnasa tour.

Neither of these performances were quite as technical as Cathal, Packie, or Jean though.

Cheers,
Aaron